woo just ordered my new grado's
Feb 1, 2007 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cheeseboytim

New Head-Fier
have just ordered a brand new set of grado 225's from ttvj really looking forwad to the experiance have tried the ms-1's round a mates house and was enjoying it. what if any mods should i do
rs1smile.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeseboytim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have just ordered a brand new set of grado 225's from ttvj really looking forwad to the experiance have tried the ms-1's round a mates house and was enjoying it. what if any mods should i do
rs1smile.gif

Congrats, you will love them.

The only thing that I would suggest as a 'mod' would be to purchase different types of pads for pad swapping. Get some flat pads, comfy pads, sennheiser pads, etc. Pad swapping is a non-destructive 'mod' that can dramatically change the sound characteristics of the SR-225. Pad swapping is one of the benefits you enjoy as a Grado owner. IMHO the SR-225s are perfect just the way they are stock - there is no need to butcher them with destructive modifications. When I am in the mood for a more laid back presentation with more 'oomph' in the lower registers, I swap to flat pads.

Good luck, and be sure to come back here and let us know how you are enjoying your SR-225s once you have spent a sufficient amount of time with them.

Feb 1, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeseboytim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rs1smile.gif

The one mod that i can't do without is some kind of headband padding. Either grab a replacement beyer band, or strap a bit of foam to the underside with cable ties or something.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 14
Congratulations on your 225's! Also, good purchase on the 414 pads. I find them much more comfortable than the bowls, although they are a pain to get on sometimes. Don't forget to do the quarter mod on the pads. It might make a difference, it might not. I didn't hear much of a difference when I did mine.

One thing a friend of mine did with his 80's is pull the little button with the SR-80 imprinted on it off. I'm not sure how big of a difference that made, but something to think about.

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Congrats - the 225 is like the gateway headphone to the RS-1. It is a real value as well.

I'd have to agree with lmilhan. The bowls are the best for them to me, but it is nice to have the flats around for the harsher recordings and to add bass when you desire.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Congrats on the new 225s! You'll love them.
I'm not sure that I agree with robm321 about them being a gateway to the RS-1s. The 225s actually do what they do better, the RS-1s are more refined, but sometimes that may take a bit of fun out of it.
As far as mods, I just don't see it. I can't stand flats on them. To me it changes the balance of the whole spectrum, but I am definitely in minority on this.
Anyway, get back to us when you can compare them to the MS-1s. It's always interesting to see someone's impressions.

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 14
Good purchase.
I would recommend the Grado's with the bowls removed altogether.
Boy does that sound sweet or not! Actually it's sounds like crap though so don't try that.

Anyway I also bought the 414 pads, 2 pairs. They haven't arrived yet, still waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back