Woo Hoo!! Finally the RS1 tube amp is ready to go!
Jan 19, 2005 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kuma

Headphoneus Supremus
A push-pull 6BX7 GT capable of outputting 3 watts.
This amp is specifically to drive the 32 ohm Grado impedance.
The original circuit and power supply section are designed by Joe Bogatek out of Australia.

Zanth, hope you are still interested in listening to this amp.
biggrin.gif

ready-to-go.jpg

6BX7GT.jpg

amp2.jpg

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 14
He sure went all-out on the case. Looks damn nice.

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 14
Wow! Shiny! Let us know how it sounds!

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 14
That's absolutely amazing.
eek.gif

Enter with two briefcases to a head-fi meet, dressed in black, sunglasses...

Lay them down on table, open them up to reveal headphones and amp...

How pimp!
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 14
That is a really nice looking amp... Great Job!!

I would like to know how you made that enclosure...I was looking into making stainless steel enclosers and polishing them, but that is the easy part....but i dunno how to bend the corners that that...how did you do it?

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Sweet. Are those output transformers?

I can't wait to read the review.

Hi Mitch,

Yes it is and all hand-wound custom job per Joe's spec.

This amp will be travelling amongst few Head-fiers with Grado fones. (Zanth included
tongue.gif
), so it'll be a while before I get to hear it. This is why the need for the 'travel' case.
This is essentially a proto-type.
I don't even know how it sounds, altho, preliminary measurements are good. Star-earth are employed everywhere, so it should be dead quiet.
This was originally a SET amplifier but Joe was not happy with the distortion with amp's 32 ohms output impedance, hence he opted for a push pull.

If he decides to go commercial, the retail needs to be somewhere around 3500$-4K.
And chroming of chassis is cost prohibitive plus this one he puts on the power switch from an old US RCA radio he collects. (which I think sorta cool for the retro effect )
It is beutifully made inside and out.
complete.jpg

The plan is to show it at Montreal show in April.
Bunch of us from the AA chat room are planing to have a room there. ( just for fun )
And you all are invited.
icon10.gif

dooz,

For the chassis, He started out with just a plain steel sheet and lots of filing.
scratch_protection.jpg

canman,

I am curious myself against Gilmore.
My current solid state reference is Naim Headline2/SuperCap2. But I do think that Grado benefits from tube amplification. Jota driving the RS1 is really the one to beat or should come close to.

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 14
Holy CRAP!!!!

I had completely forgotten about this project. Oh man...I LUST after this. Yes yes, yes and yes, I am still interested
biggrin.gif

Dang....I have been on fortunate boy lately concerning audio toys. This year is just getting better and better!

Now what really sucks kuma is that you don't get to have a listen sooner
frown.gif

However, if you are serious about coming to Montreal in April, then I am so down with that and will meet you there
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back