Woo Audio3 or Singlepower PPX3 To Replace SR-71??
Jan 13, 2006 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

scm207

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently running my HD-580's with an SR-71 but the dreaded headfi virus has taken hold and I have an ever-increasing curiosity regarding tube amps. Has anyone compared the Woo directly to the PPX3?? If not, has anyone compared the SR-71 directly to either of the aforementioned amps?? Failing that, how about a SWAG???
580smile.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 12
I believe Highflyin9 has both the Woo3 and PPX3. He told me he prefers his Woo3 but he modded his Woo3. He's not alone in his preference for the Woo3 over the PPX3.

But as you may be aware, PPX3 has a loyal following at Head-Fi. Do a search and you shouldn't have any problems getting more than enough information on Singlepower amps. There are several very knowledgeable owners (sacd_lover for one) of PPX3 and MPX3 amps who you'll probably find to be helpful.

The Woo3 provides a cheaper entry into the tube world. I've only had mine for a couple of months. I was originally going to order a MPX3 but due to family budget constraints, I went with a used Woo3 rather than to save up for a Singlepower amp.

As for comparing the Woo3 to the SR71, I'll say it right now that I'm not very good with describing what I hear. All I know is that the Woo3 sounds better than the SR71. It has more space, detail, and air. They're not worlds apart but you will get a better sound with the Woo3.

If the SR71 is your only amp, you may not appreciate just how good the SR71 is. SR71 was my first head amp, and I, too, got a bit curious about all the other amps. As far as portable amps go, SR71 is awesome.

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 12
My limited understanding of tubes is that tubes have lifespans rated in hours, so by leaving them on, you're decreasing that lifespan -- normal with usage. I suspect you're probably referring to the debate about whether frequently turning on/off electrical equipment shortens the lifespan more than simply leaving the equipment on.

I think the consensus is if you're not going to use the amp for an extended period (over an hour or two?) then turn it off. Otherwise, leave it on to prevent frequent on/off.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Why dont you wait up for the new Eddie current stuff?

I mean woo and sp are great choices but I am just asking?

most people don't know about this stuff me thinks.

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scm207
I am currently running my HD-580's with an SR-71 but the dreaded headfi virus has taken hold and I have an ever-increasing curiosity regarding tube amps. Has anyone compared the Woo directly to the PPX3?? If not, has anyone compared the SR-71 directly to either of the aforementioned amps?? Failing that, how about a SWAG???
580smile.gif

I have owned them both and I like the ppx3 better than the Woo 3; especially the SLAM ppx3 version that uses 5687 output tubes. I like both the Woo 3 and the ppx3 better than the sr-71 by a wide measure.

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #9 of 12
I have tried them both (long term) ppx3 and the woo3 and I like the sr-71 better than the Woo 3 especially over the SLAM ppx3 version that uses 5687 output tubes. I like both the sr-71 and the w003 better than the ppx3 by a wide measure

Having said that I would say firgure out your max budget for the next amp then stick to that budget! sp has its upgrades while woo I dont believe does.
also might want to wait for the EC reviews...or impressions

edit...holy crap sacd...we posted the same thing!
omg We think alike! thats freaky man!
any news on the cinni meet?

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 12
bhd812 said:

We didnt post the same thing you got it backwards.
icon10.gif

The SLAM PPX3 is the better amp by a wide margin. When did you have a Woo 3 or SLAM PPX3??

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 12
sacd lover said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812

We didnt post the same thing you got it backwards.
icon10.gif

The SLAM PPX3 is the better amp by a wide margin. When did you have a Woo 3 or SLAM PPX3??

woo3 for the hosting and bringing it in at the meet and ppx3slam first a long and private listen in a girls bathroom at a meet (really) and a loan/trade from another head-fi'er for my hr-2 for 2 weeks.

still thinking about the ppx slammy..who knows maybe one day

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 12
I've owned both the Woo and the PPX, and I much prefer the Woo over the PPX. However to my ears the Woo sounds only so-so with it's stock tubes or with the cheaper NOS tubes that are available, and it needs something like the good Amperex's or Telefunken's for it to sound it's best. So if you're not prepared to spend some $ on tubes then I would probably look for something solid state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back