Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Jul 18, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #826 of 903
Hey just wondering if someone had an experience connecting WA8 as an amp to any kind of hi-end desktop dacs? (something like holo may, metrum pavane, terminator, sonnet morpheus, lampizator, totaldac to name a few) Do they make a dramatic scaling difference comparing to onboard ESS dac???

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #827 of 903
Hey just wondering if someone had an experience connecting WA8 as an amp to any kind of hi-end desktop dacs? (something like holo may, metrum pavane, terminator, sonnet morpheus, lampizator, totaldac to name a few) Do they make a dramatic scaling difference comparing to onboard ESS dac???
I connect my MHDT Orchid to it from time to time feeding Meze Empy. Not a « dramatic » scale up but a nice one since the Orchid is a NOS tube buffered dac. A different sound signature, a bit sweeter. I’d like to find a DAP with such a DAC flavour to use with my WA8 but not sure which would bring me satisfaction vs the internal WA8 DAC. I’m thinking the Cayin N7 might be the one.

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #828 of 903
Tried with Bifrost 2 and Qutest. Both changed the sound and arguably made it wider and more detailed, but just another flavor. All 3 awesome with the Wa8.

Aug 20, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #829 of 903
Do you have to buy the Woo Audio kits to be able to tube roll the WA8 or can you do it yourself re-using their tube board thing?(PCB)

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #830 of 903
Do you have to buy the Woo Audio kits to be able to tube roll the WA8 or can you do it yourself re-using their tube board thing?(PCB)
You can only officially use the Woo kits. If you find any non "Woo offcial" upgrade tubes it's because the seller re used the board. Woo won't sell you the PCB itself. They state it is too difficult to solder in the tubes outside of thier production line.

Aug 21, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #831 of 903
I bought the WOO kit but I’ve seen some other tubes for sale specifically for the WA8 a while ago.

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #832 of 903
I bought the WOO kit but I’ve seen some other tubes for sale specifically for the WA8 a while ago.

@Peti can comment. I believe he bought a 3rd party upgrade tube. It wasn't cheap IIRC.

There are people who have unsoldered stock or upgrade tubes and put in a different brand/style of tube. I haven't seen anyone sell driver tubes outside of Woo. It's not like the old ALO continental that sold a seperate PCB specifically to roll your own tubes. Woo has taken quite the opposite approach. They are extremely resistant to tube rolling outside their offerings.

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #834 of 903

The WA8 + Bryston BDA-3 is a dream. Not like night-and day, but for me the BDA-3 is the best sub 10K DAC that I've ever heard (might be others I didn't) and pairs nicely with the WA8.

Then again, it's soooo much more important which Headphones you pair with the WA8. The dac maybe affects 1% of the sound. Whereas the headphones are the ones actually moving air in different ways... truly changing what you hear. My fav pairings are WA8 + Senn HD-800s & Hifiman HE1000se. Not good with any Audeze.

Oct 6, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #836 of 903
Does anyone else like the WA8 on 2 tubes more than on 3 for some headphones? hd650 on 2 tubes is great. same with Atticus, better on 2. More clear. Thoughts?
I like the 2 tube for more bassy, easy to drive headphones (Meze Liric, Focal Stellia). Otherwise, the extra gain is needed to drive the other headphones I use.

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #837 of 903
I bought two adapters from yahoo auctions japan that allow me to roll 12AU7 (and compatible) and 2C51 tubes in my WA8. I'm currently enjoying a Western Electric 396A.
IMG_8806.jpeg

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #838 of 903
I bought two adapters from yahoo auctions japan that allow me to roll 12AU7 (and compatible) and 2C51 tubes in my WA8. I'm currently enjoying a Western Electric 396A.
IMG_8806.jpeg
Nice!

I'm assuming that these are pricey and the PCB they are mounted to are originally from Woo? Otherwise, does this person sell just the PCB?

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #839 of 903
IMG_8806.jpeg
Wow, I want that for sure, I've got a stack of these tubes for my desktop amp, can you provide a link or just post it to me in private if you prefer. Do you have any feedback for us yet?

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #840 of 903
Wow, I want that for sure, I've got a stack of these tubes for my desktop amp, can you provide a link or just post it to me in private if you prefer. Do you have any feedback for us yet?

Here's the seller on yahoo auctions japan: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/bxb02037

I used zenmarket to handle the process of bidding and getting it send to me in the USA: https://zenmarket.jp/en/yahoo.aspx?sellerID=bxb02037

As far as feedback, if I get some time, I'll pop the original tube back in and see if I can notice any differences and post a comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back