Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Jun 18, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #811 of 903
I have a query - Can you connect a 4.4 mm lineout/phone out from DAPs to 3.5 mm line in of WA8 ? Has anyone tried this before ? Reason I am asking is typically 4.4 mm output has better dynamic range and channel seperation compared to 3.5 mm, hence curious.
I tried with stock LO cable from DX220MAX 4.4 mm to 3.5mm CDM. Not good. I don't like it.

Use ALO 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC, copper and plated silver.... a lot better.....natural and more engaging sound.....

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #812 of 903
I tried with stock LO cable from DX220MAX 4.4 mm to 3.5mm CDM. Not good. I don't like it.

Use ALO 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC, copper and plated silver.... a lot better.....natural and more engaging sound.....
But CDM has 2.5mm line in, so you could connect 4.4 mm directly to that (this would be BAL Line Out to BAL Line In) .. did you try that ?

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #813 of 903
But CDM has 2.5mm line in, so you could connect 4.4 mm directly to that (this would be BAL Line Out to BAL Line In) .. did you try that ?
Have 2.5mm x 2.5mm IC but 1 side broken. Tried 4.4 mm to 2.5 mm adapter at one time but I remember the sound is somewhat the same as right now using ALO 3.5mm IC, maybe a tad cleaner and bigger stage I think.
Need to send back DHC to fix 2.5mm connector. It's kind expensive for a 2.5mm IC....

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #814 of 903
I have a query - Can you connect a 4.4 mm lineout/phone out from DAPs to 3.5 mm line in of WA8 ? Has anyone tried this before ? Reason I am asking is typically 4.4 mm output has better dynamic range and channel seperation compared to 3.5 mm, hence curious.
4.4mm is a balanced connector which is not compatible with 3.5 unbalanced line in of WA8....technically yes you can connect it, however there is a risk of damaging one of devices

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #815 of 903
Anyone knows if we can power/charge the WA8 with another charger or USB connection with the right adapter? I need to travel and would like to bring only my Macbook computer charger. I have a set of adapters to go from USB to the round tip of the WA8. Obviously I would not have the green/red light of the Woo charger but is it just an indicator or there is specific electronics in that charger that is mandatory for charging the WA8? Thanks guys.

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #816 of 903
Anyone knows if we can power/charge the WA8 with another charger or USB connection with the right adapter? I need to travel and would like to bring only my Macbook computer charger. I have a set of adapters to go from USB to the round tip of the WA8. Obviously I would not have the green/red light of the Woo charger but is it just an indicator or there is specific electronics in that charger that is mandatory for charging the WA8? Thanks guys.
Macbook charger will not work. You need the exact voltage and amperage of the Woo charger.

There's a part of this thread where you can find references to battery packs with the barrel connector to do DC to DC charging. I use an omnicharge battery pack. The Woo charger is a bit of a funky voltage and amperage. The omnicharge will easily charge Macbook.

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #817 of 903
Macbook charger will not work. You need the exact voltage and amperage of the Woo charger.

There's a part of this thread where you can find references to battery packs with the barrel connector to do DC to DC charging. I use an omnicharge battery pack. The Woo charger is a bit of a funky voltage and amperage. The omnicharge will easily charge Macbook.
You're right, the Macbook charger does not have the same output numbers as the Woo but I thought batteries would charge no matter what it would just take more or less time depending on the output of the charger. My Macbook and iPad charge with various type of chargers, well maybe it's because they have electronics inside to manage the electricity input. I'm quite a dummy as far as batteries and chargers! hahaha

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #818 of 903
i beleive Omni 20+ from OmniChange is capable to do such job....that is the only device that came to my mind on such topic

Jun 27, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #820 of 903
You're right, the Macbook charger does not have the same output numbers as the Woo but I thought batteries would charge no matter what it would just take more or less time depending on the output of the charger. My Macbook and iPad charge with various type of chargers, well maybe it's because they have electronics inside to manage the electricity input. I'm quite a dummy as far as batteries and chargers! hahaha
The Woo doesn’t have the level of smart charging as tablets and phones. I wish it did.

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #821 of 903
I've been pairing my RU7 with Oriolus BA300S which gives an improvement to sound quality leading me to think that a pairing with WA8 would produce a stellar sound quality, if anybody has the opportunity to try this out and give their impressions I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0455.jpeg
    IMG_0455.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #822 of 903
I've been pairing my RU7 with Oriolus BA300S which gives an improvement to sound quality leading me to think that a pairing with WA8 would produce a stellar sound quality, if anybody has the opportunity to try this out and give their impressions I would really appreciate it, thanks.
Same for me, I already have the WA8 which I use mainly with it’s internal ESS based DAC and been wondering if I would gain a nicer sound with an RU7 or RU6 dongle instead of the ESS chip in the WA8.

Jul 5, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #823 of 903
Same for me, I already have the WA8 which I use mainly with it’s internal ESS based DAC and been wondering if I would gain a nicer sound with an RU7 or RU6 dongle instead of the ESS chip in the WA8.
I've used several DACs feeding the WA8 including the RU6. The way Woo integrated the ESS DAC is still the best option. Unless the DAC has a true line out, you'll risk double amping and added distortion.

Try it for yourself. The added bulk of the external DAC just added more crap to deal with on my desk or traveling.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #824 of 903
I've used several DACs feeding the WA8 including the RU6. The way Woo integrated the ESS DAC is still the best option. Unless the DAC has a true line out, you'll risk double amping and added distortion.

Try it for yourself. The added bulk of the external DAC just added more crap to deal with on my desk or traveling.
Thanks Daniel, have you by any chance tried to feed it with the line out of a top notch DAP, something like Cayin N7 N8ii or Hiby RS6 RS8? I’m with you that a dongle might finally not bring much improvement but wondering if using a top notch DAP as source/DAC might give better results with WA8 then feeding it’s internal DAC with an iPhone?

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #825 of 903
Thanks Daniel, have you by any chance tried to feed it with the line out of a top notch DAP, something like Cayin N7 N8ii or Hiby RS6 RS8? I’m with you that a dongle might finally not bring much improvement but wondering if using a top notch DAP as source/DAC might give better results with WA8 then feeding it’s internal DAC with an iPhone?
Chord Mojo 2 is the best I've used. I'm not a huge DAP person. I would say that the WA8 paired with the Mojo 2 was different sounding. Not necessarily better. The pairing was almost SS like. Think Schiit hybrid tube amps. Details and presentation were about the same as the Mojo 2 directly. The WA8 didn't add much to the equation.

I'm sure the $2-3k DAPs would sound different through the line in than the built in ESS. Maybe a 10-15% improvement. I would think that you'd be better off with a desktop solution in a similar price range to the WA8 if you wanted substantial improvement. I use a Sony NW A306 as a digital transport to the WA8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back