Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Sep 10, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #526 of 900
You should be fine having it stand either ....

Thanks for your quick reply and tips! Just want to lay it down on the desk, nothing covering it with plenty of space around it. Just to not knock it over -- it might destroy the floor if it falls :))

I'm curious if woo believes in tube burn in :) I've read a lot on the subject online - but this is my first tube HP amp. I only have a tube phono stage and honestly didn't notice much of a change after the first few hours. I'm only referring to burn-in time, not the normal heat-up time each time.

Cheers!

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #528 of 900
Thanks for your quick reply and tips! Just want to lay it down on the desk, nothing covering it with plenty of space around it. Just to not knock it over -- it might destroy the floor if it falls :))

I'm curious if woo believes in tube burn in :) I've read a lot on the subject online - but this is my first tube HP amp. I only have a tube phono stage and honestly didn't notice much of a change after the first few hours. I'm only referring to burn-in time, not the normal heat-up time each time.

Cheers!

As related to Head-Fi, I have no idea where the audiophile idea of burn-in came from. But I can tell you that many electronic devices do go through burn-in time at the factory, but it is not for any "magical" sound improvement or "conditioning capacitors" etc. Instead, depending in the device, the manufacturer may know that certain types of problems may occur which can only easily be identified by actually running the device for a while. Making sure that a high power amp can run at rated max load and maintain thermal stability, for example. I think that over time this idea has morphed into the audiophile (or audiofool) version referred to online.

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #529 of 900
I am loving the WA8, but think I like my WA7 better...
I got a chance to listen to the WA7 for a while and size / transportability issues aside, personally liked the WA8 better. From the ones I could test liked the WA22 best and the WA8 came close second. Listening with HD800s. Maybe it's also the dac? No idea... WA22 is amp only.

As related to Head-Fi, I have no idea where the audiophile idea of burn-in came from...
Makes sense!

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #530 of 900
As related to Head-Fi, I have no idea where the audiophile idea of burn-in came from.

The idea came from the people that engineer and build the gear.

For example, Zach from ZMF will tell you his dynamics sound much better after 150 hours of burn-in which is likely due to the mechanical flexibility of the driver. The Schiit ladder DACs (multi-bit) use "burn-in" or warm up time for thermal equilibrium before they sound proper (e.g., Yggy can take weeks). Dan from Mr. speakers will tell you to burn-in his Aeon Flows for 2 weeks. audioquest puts batteries on their TOTL cables that constantly applies a voltage, etc etc.

With tubes it's typically 20 minutes to full speed, and off after you're done using them.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #531 of 900
Anyone try plopping their WA8 into the main rig? I just did and it was numbingly good with my Rethm speakers and Triode Labs 2a3. It might be time for operation simplify in my main rig. I was using an iPad as a Roon endpoint. I normally use an UltraRendu/LPS1.2 to feed the WA8. Hate to even say this and maybe it's system synergy but it bettered about $15K worth of gear/cables in the main rig.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #532 of 900
Anyone try plopping their WA8 into the main rig? I just did and it was numbingly good with my Rethm speakers and Triode Labs 2a3. It might be time for operation simplify in my main rig. I was using an iPad as a Roon endpoint. I normally use an UltraRendu/LPS1.2 to feed the WA8. Hate to even say this and maybe it's system synergy but it bettered about $15K worth of gear/cables in the main rig.

Absolutely :)

Sometimes I like to play with this and use the WA8 as a pre-amp.
Though I love the WA8, strictly for the DAC i prefer my Bryston BDA-3 when not on the go.

What I sometimes do is BDA > WA8 > Accuphase Integrated Main in (basically just using the power amp). And love it! It changes the sound & mood definitely.

Also tried this on a friend's much more expensive system with dedicated Accuphase power amp & I preferred the WA8 to his Accuphase Preamp almost each time in a blind A/B test.

Sometimes I also like plugging my phono pre-amp directly into the WA8 and have a go at it... it's just such a versatile tool :)

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #533 of 900
I like the look, the feel, and I'm sure it sounds great too! But, who walks around with a portable tube amp and TOTL OPEN headphones?
So I guess it will be for when people on a trip and when they are in their hotel room?? And how many people spend that much time in a hotel room and willing to spend $1700 on an amp?
So, same here, I rather spend the money on sound quality than portability.
Exactly what I think, and the WA8 is the same price as the WA6-SE that I just bought and it's far less powerful. The WA8 is still far below the recommended 500mW at 110Ohm that Audeze recommends for my LCD3 and the WA8 is still too big to fit into my pyjama's pockets when I walk around the house at night so I really can't justify spending that much on it.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #534 of 900
I guess I’m in the minority as far as carry goes. I use it @ work, on my desk in an open office environment, currently with Grado's (GW100s). I transport it in the included Pelican case (in my back pack). I don’t think it’s designed for portability...say as one would with a phone or DAP. As you’ve stated...it’s not practical or possible. However I don’t think that was Woo Audio’s intent (transportable not to be confused with portable).

There may also be synergy limitations with driving Planar HPs. For example pairing this amp with my pair of Aeon Flow Open HPs doesn’t wow me. I’m not certain if it’s the WA8 or AFOs (again synergy). The WA8 does have enough power to drive ‘em but my stable of dynamic HPs sound ‘better’ IMO. As with most amp & HP pairings...the more efficient the HPs the ‘better’ or easier it is to drive ‘em. I don’t own any planars, beyond the AFOs, so bear that in mind...regarding my take on planars.

I don’t know that there’s an all tube portable amp in existence? If you want sublime tube sound quality...that you can carry & set up readily...then this will fit the bill. It’s pricey...once heard...you’ll likely not have any urge to trade up. I had reservations around the cost...but now utilize it more than I’d initially thought. I also think the initial cost can be weighed out over the longterm value of ownership...as I have no desire to sell it.

I’ve changed out the stock tube (but there’s no real need to)...all tubes sound wonderful (stock & upgrade offerings on the woo audio site) ...so care was taken into the design consideration regarding tube pairing. In one word: elegant.

The best feature is having premium desktop tube SQ that can be transported to whatever environment you desire. The possible user configurations are seemingly endless. Today I’m running it as follows: Fiio M9 > WA8 > MPOW BT adapter > Grado GW100. This config allows me to roam while @ work (no worry with HP cord limitations)
BC7AA019-442A-4358-A781-6D105F3D2240.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #535 of 900
There may also be synergy limitations with driving Planar HPs. For example pairing this amp with my pair of Aeon Flow Open HPs doesn’t wow me. I’m not certain if it’s the WA8 or AFOs (again synergy). The WA8 does have enough power to drive ‘em but my stable of dynamic HPs sound ‘better’ IMO. As with most amp & HP pairings...the more efficient the HPs the ‘better’ or easier it is to drive ‘em. I don’t own any planars, beyond the AFOs, so bear that in mind...regarding my take on planars.
I actually think they sound GREAT with the closed version (AEON Flow Closed). Do not have the open, so never tried that combo...

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #536 of 900
My experience was a bit different with the AEON Closed. I thought they sounded good but felt like they were slightly underpowered. My other phones are Nobody Kaiser Encore, Focal Clear and Meze Classic 99s just to provide some context. The WA8 also sounds great with the Focal Utopias.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #537 of 900
I guess I’m in the minority as far as carry goes. I use it @ work, on my desk in an open office environment, currently with Grado's (GW100s). I transport it in the included Pelican case (in my back pack). I don’t think it’s designed for portability...say as one would with a phone or DAP. As you’ve stated...it’s not practical or possible. However I don’t think that was Woo Audio’s intent (transportable not to be confused with portable).

Great post - I'm on the fence between this and the RME ADI-2: both are "transportable" for my needs, which is basically moving around the house, or to and from a known location, to a place where I'll be sitting and listening for a few hours. I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the nerd features of the RME (even if I don't use them) and the WA8 is obviously possibly doubt the price ... decisions, decisions ...

Anyway, I really appreciate all of the posts on uses and experience as it's helping make a decision. THanks to all!

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #538 of 900
Great post - I'm on the fence between this and the RME ADI-2: both are "transportable" for my needs, which is basically moving around the house, or to and from a known location, to a place where I'll be sitting and listening for a few hours. I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the nerd features of the RME (even if I don't use them) and the WA8 is obviously possibly doubt the price ... decisions, decisions ...

Anyway, I really appreciate all of the posts on uses and experience as it's helping make a decision. THanks to all!

I do love the WA8. It pairs wonderfully with the HD800s - for which, for my taste, a tubed amp was a "necessity" :) I think the real valve, class A amplification is unbeatable and there's no other amp on the market offering this.

As use case scenarios go, I never consider audiophile listening on the go - really can't get that that with street, plane, train noise around - no matter the headphones or amplification. For that my iPhone & airpods or any decent noise cancelling HP are good enough.

My use case scenario for the WA8 is late night listening and in room listening while away. I got a case that fits nicely both the headhones and the WA8 in between and that's the best sound I can take with me anywhere.

Had the ifi iDSD Black Label for a while and honestly, sound through the WA8 is so much more satisfying - for my taste. For the price, the ifi is good (though I really really didn't like their DAC implementation) - but the amplification was good. At home, I do prefer to hook up the WA8 to my system DAC, but on the go I don't feel I'm really missing anything. As a player I just use my phone as a high resolution player, connected via USB to the WA8.

Never had a chance to listen to the ADI-2, however the WA8 i suspect has a different sound signature due to the tubes and that battery is really nice to have to move from one room to another without wires. Also that might help the sound and low with noise floor. Actually I never ever heard any noise at any volume with the WA8.

Hope you can test both and choose the one that suits your taste best!

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #539 of 900
Hey guys, I have a quick question - is a slight static that happens periodically something normal for this amp? I mean, it doesn't depend on the volume (it can sit on 0 and I still hear slight static from time to time). I have opened the glass and inspected the tubes, they seem to be seated correctly and there is no dirt on them as well. Currently went back to my solid state replacement amp/dac from Audio-GD and I'm wondering whether I should contact my country's rep for a diagnosis and replacement/repair or whether it's totally normal for tube amps and they will look weird at me.

I have it paired with Focal Utopia with Kimber Axios cable btw. but that shouldn't matter since the static is definitely gone when I use it with a solid state. The tubes shouldn't have expired since I bought the amp in December 2018. True, I have had it turned on 8h/day on average but that still doesn't come close to the expected durability of stock tubes.

Thanks for the help :wink:

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #540 of 900
Hey guys, I have a quick question - is a slight static that happens periodically something normal for this amp? ...

Hi, Never heard anything like this. Mine is very silent with no funny noises. You might here a slight pop when starting up and shutting down that's normal. If you hear static I'd look to first change the placement of the unit, the cables and contacts and such. If you change all these and the problem persists - might be time to use that warranty. Also maybe ask Woo directly?

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back