Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Apr 23, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #182 of 903
There is a reason why i have both. Simply because different days different mood. Diffrrent preferences. I hate choosing either one only. So i rather work more to be able to afford both. Cheers

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #183 of 903
Mine just arrived about 1hr ago. Using with a Questyle QP1R as a source via line out into Noble k10U. Even cold the combination is magical. The QP1R is excellent, but all I can say is it would be very diffucult for me to go back to just listening to it on its own at this point. The added lower end slam in particular is exceptional!

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #184 of 903
Mine just arrived about 1hr ago. Using with a Questyle QP1R as a source via line out into Noble k10U. Even cold the combination is magical. The QP1R is excellent, but all I can say is it would be very diffucult for me to go back to just listening to it on its own at this point. The added lower end slam in particular is exceptional!

I'll be using the same set up at least part of the time. Did Woo send you a tracking number? Just curious since I have not had any order status updates.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #187 of 903
Yes, I got a tracking number late on Friday and it arrived in Toronto today.

If you have the same setup I think you're in for a treat!

Gah! It's posts like yours that make me waver in my resolve to wait until Black Friday before ordering! 
wink_face.gif

Since I'm also based in Toronto...

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #188 of 903
Life's too short to wait.  I'll get a deal on something else on Black Friday!

PM me your details.  Maybe we can arrange an audition depending on where you are in Toronto.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #189 of 903
I'm thinking of getting a WA8 to go with my HD800S. So far I've only used a Chord Mojo with the HD800S. The combo sounds great to me but people say that the Mojo is not driving the HD800S to their full potential. What kind of differences could I expect with the WA8? I only have experience with solid-state amps.

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #190 of 903
  I'm thinking of getting a WA8 to go with my HD800S. So far I've only used a Chord Mojo with the HD800S. The combo sounds great to me but people say that the Mojo is not driving the HD800S to their full potential. What kind of differences could I expect with the WA8? I only have experience with solid-state amps.

I don't know about "full potential" since Mojo has plenty of juice to power the HD800S, but you will get a thicker, fuller, sound from the WA8. That was from my opinion listening to the late prototype WA8 and HD800. You can even choose between 2 and 3 tube mode on how thick you want it. My choice of words is simple, but I want to make sure that "thicker" in this case doesn't mean losing sound stage and detail. Nor does it mean "syrupy and slow". If you are fan of a more neutral/cold, analytical sound, WA8 will not be music to your ears and you should stick with Mojo.

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #191 of 903
bflat i would like to know if you have a woo audio wa8? reason for asking is that i will be in the field of accenting my chord hugo & ak380cu stack with warmth & a little of coloration maybe by the end of summer.
i really need some bass impact or should i say bass slam to my portable rig.

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #192 of 903
  bflat i would like to know if you have a woo audio wa8? reason for asking is that i will be in the field of accenting my chord hugo & ak380cu stack with warmth & a little of coloration maybe by the end of summer.
i really need some bass impact or should i say bass slam to my portable rig.

I do not own a production WA8 but listened for about 30 min on the prototype back in Aug 2015 SF Meet. Maybe Mike or someone can describe the differences but I believe all that changed since was the DAC. Since the DAC was undecided back in Aug, I used my AK240 as source with tracks I know like the back of my hand. I listened to my own T5P and one of the HD800 that Woo Audio had on demo. I would have purchased the WA8 that day if it was in production, but I walked away with the WA7 + TP because I thought it was more balanced and versatile given the tube rolling capabilities. On the WA8 and T5P (known to be bass light) I thought 3 tube mode was a significant boost to sub to mid bass where I would not need any EQ. Using the WA7 today which is more balanced I still need to dial up about EQ +3 dB from 128 Hz on down to get the level of bass I like. My tubes on the WA7TP are the Siemens silver shield ECC82 which do have some bass warmth. My best guess is that the WA8 is going to give you around +4-5 dB boost from 64 Hz on down. The beauty is that I thought my T5P maintained their great soundstage and details on the high end on the WA8 with the added warmth and low end.

My current Woo Audio setup is Mojo for DAC and WA7+TP in amp only mode. It's an awesome combo as my listening preferences have shifted towards more neutral. I think WA8 plus either your Hugo or AK380 for source would be a very nice combo will a decent amount of low end enhancement. You can also email the  Woo Audio folks for their opinion. They are a great group of guys and I think they are very honest on what their products can do. I had a great conversation with Mike and Jack when I bought the WA7.

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #195 of 903
See us at the Munich High-end show at the Enigma Acoustics booth.  

http://www.highendsociety.de/index.php/en_high_end_moc.html

BTW, WA8 have begun shipping.
beerchug.gif

WA8 Eclipse at the BMW Museum, Germany. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back