Woo Audio Wa7 Fireflies Popping
Jan 13, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #16 of 23
1st gen owner here
Have had the left channel cutting and popping but only on restart at this point, the 6C45pi tubes on the main unit are new, I have switched them but it's constantly the left side if/when there is a problem not the right, however reseating always fixes it easily. Also my left tube on my WA7tp with the 12AU7 unit keeps arching on startup, little white burst of electricity going up the tube! Looks cool, guessing this is ok? it's not caused any problems, just thought i'd ask? not worried about the unit, got it from a very nice member here, and once it's on and sound is ok it runs with no issues for 6 hours and I can turn it off for hour+ and back on with no issues, so far only needed a reseat overnight.

So is the recommendation to let the tubes run straight for a few days to break them in?
I am guessing their safe operating temp is pretty high, should I power cycle them at X hours or just let them keep going?
Also some people who have issues use some kind of cleaning solution for the pins, any recommendation for this or info how to do it?

EDIT- After running the tubes for a while they feel way more stable(or my ability to put them in has gotten better) next to no channel or popping problems and the arcing is solved! :)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #17 of 23
1st gen owner here
Have had the left channel cutting and popping but only on restart at this point, the 6C45pi tubes on the main unit are new, I have switched them but it's constantly the left side if/when there is a problem not the right, however reseating always fixes it easily. Also my left tube on my WA7tp with the 12AU7 unit keeps arching on startup, little white burst of electricity going up the tube! Looks cool, guessing this is ok? it's not caused any problems, just thought i'd ask? not worried about the unit, got it from a very nice member here, and once it's on and sound is ok it runs with no issues for 6 hours and I can turn it off for hour+ and back on with no issues, so far only needed a reseat overnight.

So is the recommendation to let the tubes run straight for a few days to break them in?
I am guessing their safe operating temp is pretty high, should I power cycle them at X hours or just let them keep going?
Also some people who have issues use some kind of cleaning solution for the pins, any recommendation for this or info how to do it?
No, tubes should not arc. Swap the 12AU7 tubes to see if the arcing follows the tube or the socket. That will zero in on where the problem is. If it's socket, contact Woo Audio for advice.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #19 of 23
No, tubes should not arc. Swap the 12AU7 tubes to see if the arcing follows the tube or the socket. That will zero in on where the problem is. If it's socket, contact Woo Audio for advice.

ok seems using the front button instead of the WA7 switch fixed it! I will leave it off for a bit and see if it happens again!!!
3+ tries and no spark :) THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!
Thank you @bflat

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #20 of 23
ok seems using the front button instead of the WA7 switch fixed it! I will leave it off for a bit and see if it happens again!!!
3+ tries and no spark :) THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!
Thank you @bflat
Good to hear. I vaguely remember reading the manual where it said to leave the power switch of the WA7 to on position and use the front power button of the WA7TP (12AU7) to cycle power on/off. I don't think I ever tried the reverse order.

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #21 of 23
Good to hear. I vaguely remember reading the manual where it said to leave the power switch of the WA7 to on position and use the front power button of the WA7TP (12AU7) to cycle power on/off. I don't think I ever tried the reverse order.
Glad I got it sorted out in the first couple days, thank you my friend! I am interested in getting a tube tester if they aren't too expensive and especially if they can tell me if the other tubes I have are somehow good even though they refuse to play nicely with the WA7tp, otherwise I am going to end up giving them out as parts if someone pays just for shipping and wants to take a chance on them

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #22 of 23
Glad I got it sorted out in the first couple days, thank you my friend! I am interested in getting a tube tester if they aren't too expensive and especially if they can tell me if the other tubes I have are somehow good even though they refuse to play nicely with the WA7tp, otherwise I am going to end up giving them out as parts if someone pays just for shipping and wants to take a chance on them
I think you will find that most tube amp owners do not test their own tubes but rather purchase from reputable sellers who have some sort of guarantee. Good testing equipment is expensive and the definition of "good tube" is pretty subjective. Welcome to the world of analog!

If you are talking about just testing to see if a tube works or not, you can do that with a standard multi meter. There are YouTube videos that show you how.

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #23 of 23
I think you will find that most tube amp owners do not test their own tubes but rather purchase from reputable sellers who have some sort of guarantee. Good testing equipment is expensive and the definition of "good tube" is pretty subjective. Welcome to the world of analog!

If you are talking about just testing to see if a tube works or not, you can do that with a standard multi meter. There are YouTube videos that show you how.
I am actually the owner of the worlds worst multimeter, often getting reading of around 200-400 resistance when calibrating instead of 0... lol I will try to look up which 2 of the 9 I need to put together and see if I can get my multi to stop crapping around for long enough... I just feel bad for utdeep, I mean the amp is mine now and not his problem but so many things have happened that are out of his control I need to take much better care of the WA7 and baby it from here on out... going to go watch some videos on how to properly care for tube amps so I don't make simple mistakes like flipping a switch instead of hitting a button! Also utdeep is a saint for being so patient

Users who are viewing this thread

Back