Woo Audio WA6-SE - modding to use also as pre amp
Feb 5, 2022 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ChrisMcNeil

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a used first generation WA6-SE from a member here and I am very happy with the sound.

My system uses a Schiit Saga+ for the preamp. It is pretty transparent but I feel I need to migrate my system to a preamp with gain…the Saga+ is passive.

Since I only need 2 inputs - phono and DAC - I am wondering how well the WA6-SE would perform as a preamp. Currently the Saga+ feeds 2 dbx 234s analog active crossovers that split the signal 4 ways per channel for a quad amp system. I am looking at upgrading my active crossover with a discrete Nelson Pass designed ASP unit which likely won’t have as much gain as the DBX units, hence the desire for an active gain preamp.

Woo used to do this mod for customers…. See this unit but I was just informed by email they no longer modify customer units … and got no reply yet to my question as to circuit.

It seems a proper switch and matching RCA jacks … maybe with some resistors to ground … would do the job but:

is anyone here familiar with adapting a Woo to a preamp … or what the factory used for a circuit besides the switch and additional RCA jacks?

I’m handy with a soldering iron and my DIY experience includes building multibit DACs, and Ultracapacitor , linear regulated, and IC-managed LFP/LTO battery power supplies.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 505626D5-F912-4AFC-8264-82E4DCB69D3B.jpeg
    505626D5-F912-4AFC-8264-82E4DCB69D3B.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 4
I think the WA6 use output transformers, is it possible that WOO utilizes a different tap for the preamp output signal?
Correct and my tentative hypothesis is that they repurposed the higher impedance version of the 2 headphone output options …. It’s hard to imagine there is an additional tap unused normally but I’m not 100% sure, hence my request for more info.

Thanks for the reply.

Chris

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 4
I recently purchased a used first generation WA6-SE from a member here and I am very happy with the sound.

My system uses a Schiit Saga+ for the preamp. It is pretty transparent but I feel I need to migrate my system to a preamp with gain…the Saga+ is passive.

Since I only need 2 inputs - phono and DAC - I am wondering how well the WA6-SE would perform as a preamp. Currently the Saga+ feeds 2 dbx 234s analog active crossovers that split the signal 4 ways per channel for a quad amp system. I am looking at upgrading my active crossover with a discrete Nelson Pass designed ASP unit which likely won’t have as much gain as the DBX units, hence the desire for an active gain preamp.

Woo used to do this mod for customers…. See this unit but I was just informed by email they no longer modify customer units … and got no reply yet to my question as to circuit.

It seems a proper switch and matching RCA jacks … maybe with some resistors to ground … would do the job but:

is anyone here familiar with adapting a Woo to a preamp … or what the factory used for a circuit besides the switch and additional RCA jacks?

I’m handy with a soldering iron and my DIY experience includes building multibit DACs, and Ultracapacitor , linear regulated, and IC-managed LFP/LTO battery power supplies.

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris, Did you ever get the answer to your question and did you go ahead with the preamp mod?

Tarey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back