Woo Audio WA6 SE - Internal Photos, Pg. 10/11
Jul 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #47 of 183
274B with 30 day warranty from Sophia Electric is $140; from Woo Audio it is $150. I'd have no qualms with the $10 markup - probably just covers safe shipping to Woo Audio HQ.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #48 of 183
I have a few metal base GZ34's used and new and frankly for the price of the Sophia mesh plate and the performance it is a great deal at either price. I still don't know the life span of the Sophia as the metal base can last almost forever. I have one that measures new, was heavily used before I got it 8 years ago, has heavy hard use since then and just keeps on rectifying. Now that is a tube but probably one of the longer lived in the industry. There were some tubes used at the bottom of the Atlantic used for communication that were going after 50 years.

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #51 of 183
I know this has been asked a couple of times, but I was wondering how the WA6 SE compares to the WA2 as well. I have been considering a WA 6 for a while, but I really want multiple inputs for a turntable, CD player, or a Squeezebox or Sonos. It would be a pain to have to unplug it every time I wanted to change between sources. I don't know much about how amps work, and I'm not sure what the difference between an output transformer-less, like the WA2 and a transformer coupled amp.

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #52 of 183
The WA6 SE has two inputs. It is a dedicated headphone amplifier. Keep that in mind when making comparisons. You could add a passive switch to increase the number of inputs into the amp. I am running mine off a Squeezebox 3 so no additional inputs are necessary . If I decide to buy a CD player, I will have an extra input. Chances are I would run the CD into my DAC and into the second input of the WA6 SE.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #54 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_greb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering what the extra hundred bucks gets you over the WA2. If anybody has any experience with the new SE and the WA2 it would be nice to hear from you

The only people who have heard the WA2 and WA6SE are most likely Woo Audio themselves. You should probably email them if your serious about getting one of them. Somebody who talked to Jack said this though.

Quote:

WA2 - bigger presentation stage, smoother, warmer, more depth, and also more choices for tube rolling.
WA6SE - higher resolution, better clarity, greater dynamic, and more neutral.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #55 of 183
Thanks Ragonix, I kind of figured not many people would have experience with them both. I had been contemplating emailing them. I'm just too lazy to get around to it haha. Besides, its not like I have the money for either of them right now. Although you did kind of answer my question. I guess I missed where that quote was taken from.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #57 of 183
Who knows? Woo Audio hasn't even listened to them side by side. The SE with a separate power supply is a nice way to go. Also it has new output transformers that are supposed to have a more open high frequency range but to be honest the modified 6, with the dual power supply, has totally open highs and is very "airy".

Anyway, I normally build my own stuff with a separate power supply using an umbilical.

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #58 of 183
Quote:

I'm wondering what the extra hundred bucks gets you over the WA2. If anybody has any experience with the new SE and the WA2 it would be nice to hear from you

I haven't compared the 2 but my feeling is that the SE probably sounds a little more refined perhaps because IMO, a stronger power supply gives a more refined sound.

However, the WA2 has some nice advantages since there are 4 inputs and it also functions as a preamp which is a very nice touch IMO. The SE only has 2 inputs and no preamp output. Since I am a speaker lover, I usually prefer my headphone amps to have a preamp out put but that's me.

Either way, they both look like winners.

chewie0ol.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #59 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Either way, they both look like winners.

Ah forget those two, I think I'll just stop eating, bathing, and driving my car to save up the three grand for a WA5!
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #60 of 183
Quote:

Ah forget those two, I think I'll just stop eating, bathing, and driving my car to save up the three grand for a WA5!
biggrin.gif

That's actually my next amp this summer or fall.

Oh yeah baby!

chewie0ol.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back