woo audio wa6 or the Audiotailor Jade
Oct 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

woolnerc

Head-Fier
iv just started with this audio addiction that seems to trapping so many people.

so far my set up is a MBP and apogee duet.
my head tackle is some grado 325is and senn hd 25. about to order some sen hd600 (or the 650 or dt 880 just cant decide).

iv been thinking about feeding my duet into a tube headamp.
two that have caught my eye are the woo audio wa6 and audiotailor jade.
(like the sound signiture idea option on the jade, one for the bright 325 and one for the hd600, who knows)

any ideas on both. there are threads about but non really where direct comparisons can be drawn. So i started one.

the next step after this amp will be a pair of active speaker. was gonna feed the source though my duet only, but adding the tube between the two could create some nice noise.

my music tastes are wide and random so i need a good jack of all trades.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 24
If your going to get a HD600, then you have the option of the Balanced cable with the Jade. I am running my Jade with HD650's balanced, and its a very very nice sound - especially at the bottom and top end (lots of bass extension and strong highs (but not harsh)) really does sound much better than the normal SE setup on the same amp. And the price is nice atm too :)

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your going to get a HD600, then you have the option of the Balanced cable with the Jade. I am running my Jade with HD650's balanced, and its a very very nice sound - especially at the bottom and top end (lots of bass extension and strong highs (but not harsh)) really does sound much better than the normal SE setup on the same amp. And the price is nice atm too :)

Balanced cable?How do run your 650 balanced when the jade doesn't have XLR inputs or outputs?I read through some of the AT Jade thread, but i must have missed that part.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizwej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced cable?How do run your 650 balanced when the jade doesn't have XLR inputs or outputs?I read through some of the AT Jade thread, but i must have missed that part.

The Jade has 2 outputs; 1 from the Cathode and 1 from the Anode, you can therefore plug into both outputs at the same time, hence the 'push/pull' of a traditional balanced rig, rather than just run from either +ve or -ve to the ground (i.e. single ended mode).
Audiotailor sell a neat cable for the hd650 as its not your typical configuration for balanced. Works extremly well.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 24
im now leaning towards the woo's because of the fact i can switch the power from 110v to 220 volts. as i work on ships which power is sometimes one and some times the other. this kind of makes sence.

did like the idea of the jade but the not being able to switch the power. problem. pity the price was nice as well.

now i looking at the woo 3/3+ or the woo 6. will want to run them from the duet then to my headphones. the two phones i will have is the grado 325is and senn hd 600/650 (cant pick which one yet, another head scratcher.)

i want the option of not only using hp out but a line out option for going to active speakers. the wa3 have then standard, but an i right that you can have then on as a special request on the wa6, wa3+.

so with all that, any recommendations. i cant audition any of this stuff including the hd 600/650. so these forum's is all i got. (buy it once but buy it right.)

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by woolnerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats not what i asked

Awfully rude comment there.

I spent a couple days with a WA6 and some HD650s. Even at high gain I can't say that I was terribly impressed. My HF-2's sounded oh so much better from the WA6. That being said, you have the dilemma of whether to buy an OTL amp or not. Seeing as you will be using cans of widely different impedances, it's hard to say.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 24
I meant to be to be point. not rude. if you took offence im very sorry.

But one reply in, the question being asked (not answered) led off the subject of the thread. at least let the question be answered first.

i don't mean to be combative, but some of these thread can get pages long and never really resolve the question first being asked, just trying to nip it in the butt.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 24
Woo 6 will drive both Grado and Senn very well.
You can also ask Jack at Woo audio to put in a line-out for your active speakers.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 24
WA6 has twice the power of the Jade. WA6 is also well made, a beauty to look at
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 24
I have not head the WA6, but the Jade is a decent value for the money, and there are nice tube rolling options for it.

If you have the money go for the WA6, if not get the Jade and you should still be very happy with the results.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by woolnerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant to be to be point. not rude. if you took offence im very sorry.

But one reply in, the question being asked (not answered) led off the subject of the thread. at least let the question be answered first.

i don't mean to be combative, but some of these thread can get pages long and never really resolve the question first being asked, just trying to nip it in the butt.

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 24
ok now im getting some where.
now thinking a wa6 with the pseudo duel power thingy with the a princess Sophie. might be the way to go with a set of rca out puts added on the back as a line out for active speakers down the line.

that will make a macbook pro > apogee duet > wa6 (with mod) > 325is/hd 600. (or line out to a pair of krk vtx 8 maybe). look spent next months rent already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back