Woo Audio WA5 Tweak Question
Aug 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bwarfel

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a Woo Audio WA5 with Sophia Electric 300bs, 274B tubes, and Sylvania 6SN7s. I am using AKG 701s with ALO vampire wire modifications. I am using an Esoteric X03SE with an outboard G25U wordclock as the digital source. I have a Plinius Koru phono preamp and a Basis table with a Benz Ruby three as the cart. All of the equipment is powered by Cardas Golden Reference power cords connected to Running Springs conditioners. The interconnects are Cardas Golden Reference. Now that I have set the stage, here is the question.

When I listen with the 701s, the soundstage is huge from left to right and the detail of playback is excellent. What I am missing is the depth of the soundstage. Is that a characteristic of the 701s or is there something other change in the chain I can try to see if it makes a difference? On paper...this is a top flight set up and I am sure many would be happy with it, but when you have sunk some serious change into a set up like this and considerable effort...you want to squeeze out every aspect of the recording you can get.

Thanks!

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 7
The shallow soundstage was one thing that struck me immediately when I tried out the K701's. That, and the lack of bass. I'm just not a fan.

Man, nice setup! You're right, I would love that rig...except the phones. Otherwise...*sigh*

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Have you tried different 6SN7's? Some will give a greater since of depth while other may give more width. Sometimes it is a compromise and sometimes you can hit everything just right. Yes, it can get expensive. Even power supply purification can help a lot depending on your AC.

As with the post above, I have heard the 701's and they did not seem to portray depth very well but who knows.

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 7
maybe try

* different isolators/absorbers under components or weights on top
* other cables, ICs or PCs, or even on the K701
* tube rolling
* different headphone(s)

there are some useful audio tips here. i especially find interesting the parts about footers and weights.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...alupgrades.php

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 7
The 701's are definitely holding you back in that system. They have been relegated to a paperweight in mine. I simply could not get past its shortcomings.

I'll put in a shameless plug here and say the Ultrasone Edition 9's might be your ticket. They give you everything on the recording, including oodles of stage depth, if on the recording. They really give you the ability of differentiating between good and not-quite-as-good recordings....more so than any other can I've heard.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwarfel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I have a Woo Audio WA5 with Sophia Electric 300bs, 274B tubes, and Sylvania 6SN7s. I am using AKG 701s with ALO vampire wire modifications. I am using an Esoteric X03SE with an outboard G25U wordclock as the digital source. I have a Plinius Koru phono preamp and a Basis table with a Benz Ruby three as the cart. All of the equipment is powered by Cardas Golden Reference power cords connected to Running Springs conditioners. The interconnects are Cardas Golden Reference. Now that I have set the stage, here is the question.

When I listen with the 701s, the soundstage is huge from left to right and the detail of playback is excellent. What I am missing is the depth of the soundstage. Is that a characteristic of the 701s or is there something other change in the chain I can try to see if it makes a difference? On paper...this is a top flight set up and I am sure many would be happy with it, but when you have sunk some serious change into a set up like this and considerable effort...you want to squeeze out every aspect of the recording you can get.

Thanks!

I would invite local Head-Fi'ers to your place (with different headphones), since many would love to hear your setup. After that you just buy the ones you like the most.

If you are from Finland, I'll be there in a heart beat
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back