Woo Audio WA23.....
Jan 16, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #181 of 516
Still very much loving this amp after getting it this fall. I think it's the single most important piece of gear in my system that makes me want to listen to more and more music. It has great synergy with all of my headphones, but I keep circling back to my LCD3s. They're my consistent favorite. The visceral low end, gorgeous midrange and treble and layer separation feed this headphone so well.

Still a special match for Susvara in my opinion.
IMG_1584.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #182 of 516
I agree Matt. The WA23 is my favorite in my collection of amps including an Auris Nirvana, and Enleum 23R. All my headphones sound great through it. It’s the most engaging amp that I’ve ever heard. It looks great too and matches my Grimm Audio MU1 streamer/server.
I think the synergy with my Susvara is really special.
1673919783174.jpeg

1673919831454.jpeg

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #183 of 516
SteveM324, could you give a brief comparison between the Auris Nirvana and the WA23 Luna? I have the Nirvana and like it a lot, but down the road I'm thinking of adding the Woo for another system. Thanks for any thoughts. (BTW, I love the Harbeth's!)

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #184 of 516
SteveM324, could you give a brief comparison between the Auris Nirvana and the WA23 Luna? I have the Nirvana and like it a lot, but down the road I'm thinking of adding the Woo for another system. Thanks for any thoughts. (BTW, I love the Harbeth's!)
I feel that the WA23 is quieter and a bit more transparent than the Nirvana. My amps are in 2 different systems and I’ve not compared them side by side so take my comments with a grain of salt. I still love my Nirvana and especially my older all wood chassis version.

1673957032967.jpeg

1673957131095.jpeg

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #185 of 516
I agree Matt. The WA23 is my favorite in my collection of amps including an Auris Nirvana, and Enleum 23R. All my headphones sound great through it. It’s the most engaging amp that I’ve ever heard. It looks great too and matches my Grimm Audio MU1 streamer/server.
I think the synergy with my Susvara is really special.
1673919783174.jpeg
1673919831454.jpeg
Agree with all the above! 🙂 My other amp is a Ferrum Oor. I like it, but definitely prefer the Woo.

I spy a Holo Serene KTE and May KTE - If I upgrade my DAC, I'm pretty sure it'll be the May. How do you like yours? Have you tried it with the WA-23?

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #186 of 516
Agree with all the above! 🙂 My other amp is a Ferrum Oor. I like it, but definitely prefer the Woo.

I spy a Holo Serene KTE and May KTE - If I upgrade my DAC, I'm pretty sure it'll be the May. How do you like yours? Have you tried it with the WA-23?
I haven’t tried the WA23 with the May KTE yet. Maybe in the next week or two I’ll get around to it. I just got the Serene KTE about 10 days ago and it’s really a great preamp.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #187 of 516
I haven’t tried the WA23 with the May KTE yet. Maybe in the next week or two I’ll get around to it. I just got the Serene KTE about 10 days ago and it’s really a great preamp.
Nice, I've heard that. Let me know if you do! I've wanted to check out the Holo Bliss mainly because it's supposed to drive Susvara well, but heard the Serene is great too, although probably wouldn't be for Susvara.

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #189 of 516
Just received my Luna last night and have two questions for owners.

Did you find it difficult to insert the tubes? I had to push quite hard to get the tubes in and was a bit concerned they would crack do to the force required. I'm wondering if there is a trick to make it easier.

How many hours of burn in is required before the Luna is considered fully baked?

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #192 of 516
Just received my Luna last night and have two questions for owners.

Did you find it difficult to insert the tubes? I had to push quite hard to get the tubes in and was a bit concerned they would crack do to the force required. I'm wondering if there is a trick to make it easier.

How many hours of burn in is required before the Luna is considered fully baked?
Delayed response, but always good resistance when inserting and removing the tubes. Seems like it’s normal.

Mine sounded great from the beginning. I’ve noticed that the tubes take like a week.
Has anyone used the WA-23 as a pre to the Zahl HM-1 yet. I’m curious about that combination.
Responded in the other thread, but will be using this combo once the HM1 arrives for 2023 delivery.
I'm waiting for the Zahl (March/April delivery) and looking forward to giving this a try.
Same

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #193 of 516
Delayed response, but always good resistance when inserting and removing the tubes. Seems like it’s normal.

Mine sounded great from the beginning. I’ve noticed that the tubes take like a week.

Responded in the other thread, but will be using this combo once the HM1 arrives for 2023 delivery.

Same
Great, thanks for the info. How are you planning on connecting and using the HM1 with the WA23?

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #195 of 516
I have sth to share with fellow Woo owners, I was actually aware of that discussion in China of 300B on preamp stage of 3SE way before the discussion taken place here https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/26125-the-problem-with-the-woo-audio-3es/ Even if 3SE doesn’t have 300B at output stage in amplification part, doesn’t necessarily mean it is scam, it is at most a hybrid design.

Ask any people who actually heard it, it is clearly better than the entry level Stax energizers and pair best with 009s/ Shang SR better than other alternatives. There are always two sides of the story, and even the “top two experts” in the industry might not know all the nuances and details in their design. I use Woo Luna as pre which is better than many pre I tired many times more expensive. As long as the pre amp is good enough, I don’t mind it is hybrid. I enjoy hybrid design just like Riviera, even it is detested by the clan leader who never heard it with a right pre. It is interesting even the most hot headed followers within that clan all tend to choose the hybrid path, using a tube pre with their worshipped, the “best solid state amp” CFA3, so what is wrong with going hybrid?

For the full disclosure I’m not affiliated to Woo audio and am actually mad at Jack for some minor quality issue with my Luna. It is also true that they could be more transparent with less ambiguous language. With that being said, I think it is better to use sound to make the judgement. As an side, all people who heard my reference system containing Luna& Riviera prefer it to T2, in a well built electrostatic system, definitely better than the T2 systems of the clan members dare I say.

I don’t worship nor rely on experts or clan, I use my ears to make judgement! Plus it is never fair nor healthy to only hear one voice nor only allow one opinion/ clan to dominate the audiophile community.
While I agree that the important thing is the sound and most reviews/impressions confirm that it's top notch, I won't accept false advertising.

If it's a hybrid, label it as such.
At those prices I think the customers deserve to know what they are actually buying.

The thing is, this is just bad rep for Woo Audio. I know of people who were interested in the Wa33 and now overthink their decision again due to the 3ES situation.

If they had labeled the 3ES correctly, it would sound the same, receive exact same reviews but wouldn't cause this distrust against Woo Audio now.

I hope they learn from it ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back