Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Feb 14, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #2,506 of 2,710
WA22 owners:

Do any of you know the max input voltage the WA22 can handle coming from a DAC? I can always email Woo, but thought I'd ask here first. My RME ADI2 DAC has the ability to output via XLR at 0.87, 1.73, 3.46, or 6.9v.

I believe the standard for most amps is about 2v, but curious if the Woo (built like a tank) can be optimal with higher input voltage like 3.46v.
I use the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, I use the xlr outs to the woo, and set my volume ref level to 13dbu, then lower volume to -4.5. This gives 4v out over xlr, and 2v out over single ended.

Feb 14, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #2,507 of 2,710
WA22 owners:

Do any of you know the max input voltage the WA22 can handle coming from a DAC? I can always email Woo, but thought I'd ask here first. My RME ADI2 DAC has the ability to output via XLR at 0.87, 1.73, 3.46, or 6.9v.

I believe the standard for most amps is about 2v, but curious if the Woo (built like a tank) can be optimal with higher input voltage like 3.46v.
Not sure what the max is, but I think the E70 Velvet I had been using with it was 4V, so I think you can at least go that high. It just might restrict your use of the volume knob. The rule of thumb I have heard with this is that if you’re able to set it to give yourself the most range on the volume control while still easily getting as loud as you would want, then that is optimal.

Feb 14, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #2,509 of 2,710
WA22 owners:

I used to own Gustard R26 Dac that provided 5v to balanced input for the WA22, but i do not know what the max voltage for WA22. My current Merason Dac1 has less voltage so i have to increase the volume knob a little bit.

Feb 14, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #2,510 of 2,710
Not sure what the max is, but I think the E70 Velvet I had been using with it was 4V, so I think you can at least go that high. It just might restrict your use of the volume knob. The rule of thumb I have heard with this is that if you’re able to set it to give yourself the most range on the volume control while still easily getting as loud as you would want, then that is optimal.
Standard voltage for RCA is 2Vrms while XLR inputs are 4Vrms.
I used to own Gustard R26 Dac that provided 5v to balanced input for the WA22, but i do not know what the max voltage for WA22. My current Merason Dac1 has less voltage so i have to increase the volume knob a little bit.
Excellent- This is reassuring.
I use the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, I use the xlr outs to the woo, and set my volume ref level to 13dbu, then lower volume to -4.5. This gives 4v out over xlr, and 2v out over single ended.
Perfect- I just looked at the specs and what you've suggested sounds spot-on. I'll keep the DAC at this range. Much appreciated.

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #2,511 of 2,710
WA22 owners:

I adjust the output on the ADI-2/4 to better suit the sound I want: lower signal from the DAC means more tubey goodness from the amp, higher signal from the DAC means more clarity and control, which some music/headphones could use. That variable output is nice thing to play around with and easier to manage than EQ for broad changes. At maximum output from the DAC, I find that it doesn't leave enough room on the knob to dial in the volume just right, so it might be a moot point unless you're aiming to drive a Tungsten or something.

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #2,512 of 2,710
I adjust the output on the ADI-2/4 to better suit the sound I want: lower signal from the DAC means more tubey goodness from the amp, higher signal from the DAC means more clarity and control, which some music/headphones could use. That variable output is nice thing to play around with and easier to manage than EQ for broad changes. At maximum output from the DAC, I find that it doesn't leave enough room on the knob to dial in the volume just right, so it might be a moot point unless you're aiming to drive a Tungsten or something.
That’s a really interesting point. Less incoming voltage means more action for the tubes in amplifying the signal… Filing this away for future reference.

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #2,513 of 2,710
That’s a really interesting point. Less incoming voltage means more action for the tubes in amplifying the signal… Filing this away for future reference.
With the caveat that if the incoming signal is not strong enough, you'll loose frequencies (commonly bass) to amplify. That's been my experience any way.

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #2,514 of 2,710
With the caveat that if the incoming signal is not strong enough, you'll loose frequencies (commonly bass) to amplify. That's been my experience any way.
I have experimented with my Qutest rca connections direct to my WA22. The 2V setting strikes me as best. I lose too much useful volume range on 3V. 1V is ok but I feel I lose a sense of “drive” and excitement. That said, I may yet find a tube combo where 1V is the sweet spot.

YMMV.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #2,515 of 2,710
Quick follow up question, Ziggz:

As the manual/specs states, +13dBu = 6.9v over balanced connection and 3.46 v over single-ended output. When you dial down the output volume to -4.5 dBr, how did you calculate this lowers output voltage to 4v and 2 v, respectively? Just curious.

Everyone else:

Have you found a particular DAC with good synergy with the WA22? I've been curious and researching R2R DAC, for example. Not that I need to replace my RME ADI2 DAC, but mostly curious about the difference in presentation between Delta Sigma DACs and R2R DACs. Honestly, I'm intrigued by what I'm reading about the Holo May/Spring and the Denafrips.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #2,516 of 2,710
Quick follow up question, Ziggz:

As the manual/specs states, +13dBu = 6.9v over balanced connection and 3.46 v over single-ended output. When you dial down the output volume to -4.5 dBr, how did you calculate this lowers output voltage to 4v and 2 v, respectively? Just curious.

Everyone else:

Have you found a particular DAC with good synergy with the WA22? I've been curious and researching R2R DAC, for example. Not that I need to replace my RME ADI2 DAC, but mostly curious about the difference in presentation between Delta Sigma DACs and R2R DACs. Honestly, I'm intrigued by what I'm reading about the Holo May/Spring and the Denafrips.
Page 66 of the manual

IMG_0653.png

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #2,518 of 2,710

I have experimented with my Qutest rca connections direct to my WA22. The 2V setting strikes me as best. I lose too much useful volume range on 3V. 1V is ok but I feel I lose a sense of “drive” and excitement. That said, I may yet find a tube combo where 1V is the sweet spot.

YMMV.
These observations should be discussed more often.
I made these discoveries after purchasing a Qutest to pair with my WA22. 2V output seemed too hot for the WA22 - at least with the tubes/phones I run, yet 1V was not at all satisfying. Had to keep the volume way down to the fidgety engagement point instead of up around 1200. Fast forward through a lot of experimentation and the rabbit hole of more equipment... and you guys sum it all up in a few short sentences! I now have a solid performing tube based pre amp and also a solid state one... mix and match with different headphones, amplifiers, and settings. phthora is revealing the secret sauce! The Qutest never visits the WA22 anymore... it does duty with a Chord Anni and as an occasional substitute to the DAC in a Phonitor xe. Never found a true sweet spot for the WA22/Qutest pairing 😟. My early WA22 years were spent using a Woo WDS-1 DAC which has volume control... More recently the go to setup is a Naim Atom HE utilizing the balanced outputs on the pre amp settings. Alternate is a McIntosh C8/DA2 combination. Many ways to enjoy the 22.

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #2,519 of 2,710
Excellent points @u2u2 . I realize everyone's physical positioning of the WA22 volume dial, etc. will vary, but with my DAC outputting ~4v balanced into the WA22, my comfortable listening volume (about 65 dB) with my Abyss 1266 is about 9 O'clock on the WA22 volume dial. Keep in mind, fully off volume is about 7 O'clock on the dial. That 1/4 turn has all the range I believe I need, but it's still not a large physical turning radius of the dial. It sounds absolutely stellar, so that's what matters.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #2,520 of 2,710
Excellent points @u2u2 . I realize everyone's physical positioning of the WA22 volume dial, etc. will vary, but with my DAC outputting ~4v balanced into the WA22, my comfortable listening volume (about 65 dB) with my Abyss 1266 is about 9 O'clock on the WA22 volume dial. Keep in mind, fully off volume is about 7 O'clock on the dial. That 1/4 turn has all the range I believe I need, but it's still not a large physical turning radius of the dial. It sounds absolutely stellar, so that's what matters.
With my Qutest outputting 2V into the RCA inputs of my WA22 I am usually around 10am on my volume dial listening with my ZMF Verite Closed.

My Tung Sol 5998 power tubes definitely have more gain than the stock French supplied tubes, so I need a bit less volume dial than I did on day 1 with the amp (which would have been around 11am).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back