Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Mar 28, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #2,191 of 2,692
That's interesting. Almost the first thing I learned about the WA22 is the 6528/6336 draw way to much current and will burn out your power transformer, according to conventional wisdom. I'm not really hurting for power tubes but this makes me think (which is always dangerous....). A couple years ago they were dirt cheap, but have gotten more expensive like pretty much everything.
I've purchased a set of 6336B's and I'm going to give them a go. My WA22 is 2014 so way past warranty.

The 6336B's are fat boys. So I do worry that my wire grids to my driver tubes might interfere.
You can kinda see the wire grids on the pic below:
185371.jpg

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #2,192 of 2,692
...The 6336B's are fat boys. So I do worry that my wire grids to my driver tubes might interfere.
You can kinda see the wire grids on the pic below:

If it were me I'd be way more worried about the 5 amps per tube, but I'm a numbers guy :L3000: . Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mar 29, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #2,193 of 2,692
If it were me I'd be way more worried about the 5 amps per tube, but I'm a numbers guy :L3000: . Good luck and let us know how it goes.
What is likely to happen?
Blow a tube or a transformer or both?

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #2,194 of 2,692
What is likely to happen?
Blow a tube or a transformer or both?

If you significantly exceed the current capacity of a power transformer the typical failure mode is for the transformer to get really hot, melt the insulator and short out.

How likely that is I'm in no position to say. I don't know of anyone except the previous poster who has actually tried these high current tubes in WA22 and he claims no ill effects. I do know there are lots of posts, probably even from Woo, warning against it. For me, it isn't worth the risk, but that is JMO/FWIW and all that.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #2,195 of 2,692
Hey all, I have a question. I purchased a WooAudio WA-22 2nd Gen tube amp that I am using as a preamp for my Oor+Hypsos. It sounds amazing, but I noticed the manual lists the preamp is spec'd for an output impedance of <50 Ohm, while I read the input impedance of the Ferrum Oor is 94kOhm.

Is this something I should be concerned with, or?

Thanks! :)

Apr 2, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #2,197 of 2,692
Nothing to worry about. You want the output impedance of preamp the to be (much) lower than the input impedance of the power amp.
Awesome, good to know. Sorry if that was a dumb question, still learning :p

Apr 2, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #2,198 of 2,692
It is a little confusing because when you're talking about headphones or speakers you (generally) want to match impedance. That's because matching impedance maximizes power transfer. But between components you want to maximize voltage transfer so you want the destination impedance much higher than the source.

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #2,199 of 2,692
My latest "favorite" tube set: RCA 5R4GY WWIIish Double-D getters; GEC L63 "vintage D getter" ; SED Winged-C 6N13S ca. 1968. I call it "Yalta."

AMWts8ArvXUgUMfgtHDLk7AXVDzmwihgFbTnJf5dtabRPUChK66llsMOeb_lsvT4TxDLWlJ-fP7YGRTtF62YyTZ8A8j39uAc71bWhLtBET8ny_dptNRBWnP6sk4oosv6gtBwXOXYxd6VSaayNwm4pfHAf10x=w600

Interestingly I've tried either the rectifier or power tubes in several other combinations and they were never anything special but together they make beautiful music. Fast, dynamic and detailed, with just splash of liquid tube magic. And I think even today pretty reasonably priced compared to some of the TOTL options out there.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #2,200 of 2,692
I am very fortunate to have a local “tube guy”. He allows me to rent time on his Amplitrex, and I have been known to purchase interesting tubes from him.
Last week he’s asked if I would listen to a pair of the KEN-RAD Black glass 6SN7 in my amp, to see if they were noisy at all (they were quiet).

I don’t often listen to my Focal Elegia, but they are very good to use to listen for microphonics and noise (much more so than any of my other cans), so they are what I used for most of my listening.
I’m not great with the “audio terminology”, but they made the Elegia sound so wonderfully full, warm, and still very dynamic and engaging (the most enjoyable experience I’ve had with them)

Later that day I returned the tubes I auditioned, and asked if he had any for sale (the pair I listened to were different labels one was a JAN the other was not). I much prefer to buy date matched pairs, purely for aesthetic reasons.
He thought he probably had what I wanted, and that he’d try to find them (there must be thousands of tubes in his stock room).

Today he found me a pair!
Test as new on the Amplitrex, are the same date code, and are mil spec!!
As I sit here listening to Elegia’s I am very grateful.

Attachments

• DC59E132-D3F3-46AB-ACF1-F17FA5710CE5.jpeg
    DC59E132-D3F3-46AB-ACF1-F17FA5710CE5.jpeg
    832.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 29776FA4-918A-4915-8A27-CC62FC2BD421.jpeg
    29776FA4-918A-4915-8A27-CC62FC2BD421.jpeg
    684.3 KB · Views: 0
  • A37BA407-816A-4860-A4D8-6A1DBBE21662.jpeg
    A37BA407-816A-4860-A4D8-6A1DBBE21662.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #2,201 of 2,692
I am very fortunate to have a local “tube guy”. He allows me to rent time on his Amplitrex, and I have been known to purchase interesting tubes from him.
Last week he’s asked if I would listen to a pair of the KEN-RAD Black glass 6SN7 in my amp, to see if they were noisy at all (they were quiet).

I don’t often listen to my Focal Elegia, but they are very good to use to listen for microphonics and noise (much more so than any of my other cans), so they are what I used for most of my listening.
I’m not great with the “audio terminology”, but they made the Elegia sound so wonderfully full, warm, and still very dynamic and engaging (the most enjoyable experience I’ve had with them)

Later that day I returned the tubes I auditioned, and asked if he had any for sale (the pair I listened to were different labels one was a JAN the other was not). I much prefer to buy date matched pairs, purely for aesthetic reasons.
He thought he probably had what I wanted, and that he’d try to find them (there must be thousands of tubes in his stock room).

If you want something that goes even more warm and toasty, have him find you a pair of early 40's RCA Grey Glass (preferably mil-spec CRC JAN VT-231). Very "smokey jazz club" sounding vibe to them.

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #2,202 of 2,692

These, as well as the 1940 grey glass RCAs, have become my preferred tubes in my WA22. Just a joyous listening experience, and they don't slouch on detail either!

Apr 15, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #2,205 of 2,692
This is very good combination. :L3000:

These, as well as the 1940 grey glass RCAs, have become my preferred tubes in my WA22. Just a joyous listening experience, and they don't slouch on detail either!
Ok, I’m in. Let’s see how these do…..

Attachments

• A7BB96A5-64A5-41F4-B820-404055BC0DA7.jpeg
    A7BB96A5-64A5-41F4-B820-404055BC0DA7.jpeg
    852.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back