Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Mar 10, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,096 of 2,694
@CAJames can chime in with regard to the sound of this tube. I read some comments ranging from good to okay, I guess it's just a different flavor. One possible problem I read though, they can be noisy and might need DC heater, because of that I didn't go down that road, plus there are just too many predecessors to investigate.

For adapters you can always check with msxuling or deyan.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #1,097 of 2,694
So, long story short, yes need an adapter for 2x 37 or 76 to on 6SN7. You can get them on ebay but I had @Deyan make mine. There is a whole thread dedicated to the single triode versions of the 6SN7 and predecessors:

Link

I really like the sound, although it is true I had to go through a few to find 4 quiet, reasonably matched ones. I've come to prefer single triodes with adapters to 6SN7s in general and for the money the type 37 is my favorite. Spacious and detailed and just a little warm. Kind of a Mullard sound if you will.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #1,098 of 2,694
New member of WA22 “ownerhood” 🤓; [current member of WA3 + WA6 “ownerhoods”] 42913253-F014-4AAA-8289-F9EDA26B1A37.jpeg

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #1,100 of 2,694
New member of WA22 “ownerhood” 🤓; [current member of WA3 + WA6 “ownerhoods”]42913253-F014-4AAA-8289-F9EDA26B1A37.jpeg
How do like the wa22 in comparison to the gsx mini? I love my mini - but I'm thinking of saving for a tube amp next, to have the best of both worlds so to speak. Also, I have the Utopia and from everything I've read, they really come alive with tube amps.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #1,101 of 2,694
How do like the wa22 in comparison to the gsx mini? I love my mini - but I'm thinking of saving for a tube amp next, to have the best of both worlds so to speak. Also, I have the Utopia and from everything I've read, they really come alive with tube amps.
Both for me are keepers. The ambience, perspective, gestalt of the WA22 is 5-star. The GSX-mini is no slouch in any of these; it is lucid, very slightly warm, engaging. One element that I ‘notice’ between the WA22 and the GSX-mini (or between a good v/t and a good s/s amp) is that the space between instruments/singers is “inert” via the WA22 and “slightly charged” via the GSX-mini. To me, a different perspective - not a system wrecker. About the Utopias, or thereabouts, I can say that Focal Clear / WA22 is a musically coherent and enjoyable pairing. Last thought: with a stated impedance of 80 ohms, the Utopias might get a little bloated in bass with OTL tube amps.

Mar 31, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,102 of 2,694
New member of WA22 “ownerhood” 🤓; [current member of WA3 + WA6 “ownerhoods”]42913253-F014-4AAA-8289-F9EDA26B1A37.jpeg

very nice setup and collection of Woo amps. :) Thank YOU for the strong support.

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #1,103 of 2,694
Yeah I put that blue 274b in the drawer just as soon as I relocated my 596 tube(s). Nothing wrong with it with the Shuguangs, but the 596 is still my favorite rectifier.
Kron Audio KR274B is also very good

Attachments

• 84EBD559-1CCA-42D2-B1CE-B55F0499A7E4_1_201_a.jpeg
    84EBD559-1CCA-42D2-B1CE-B55F0499A7E4_1_201_a.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #1,104 of 2,694
very nice setup and collection of Woo amps. :) Thank YOU for the strong support.
You are welcome. PS, please reintroduce the WA3 so that others might experience it.

Apr 15, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #1,106 of 2,694
Hi guys: I just received my new WA22. I bought it as an alternative to the PassLabs HPA-1.

The sound is great: full, sweet and very involving. The problem I am having is... the hum!

I hate the hum, it adds another layer of bother to my already bad tinnitus. I have tried all the usual recommendations like isolating the power supply, upgrading tubes (I bought the most expensive tubes Wooaudio has in stock). The hum is still there, loud and vivid. The only bearable headphones are the HE1000V2, all others are a no go.

After fifteen days trying I gave up. Now the WA22 is silent on the shelf and the HPA-1 is again in business.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,108 of 2,694
Hi guys: I just received my new WA22. I bought it as an alternative to the PassLabs HPA-1.

The sound is great: full, sweet and very involving. The problem I am having is... the hum!

I hate the hum, it adds another layer of bother to my already bad tinnitus. I have tried all the usual recommendations like isolating the power supply, upgrading tubes (I bought the most expensive tubes Wooaudio has in stock). The hum is still there, loud and vivid. The only bearable headphones are the HE1000V2, all others are a no go.

After fifteen days trying I gave up. Now the WA22 is silent on the shelf and the HPA-1 is again in business.
Did you clean the tube pins...deoxit followed by isopropyl alcohol? Also, the choice of rectifier tube can affect / ameliorate / eliminate hum; also, make sure that the pin tips for the rectifier are solid (have no spaces).

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #1,109 of 2,694

I really feel you as I was exactly in the same situation (I actually also have tinnitus). I got the amp and depending on the headphone the humm was unbearably loud.
I purchased a second stock set form Woo directly with the result of even more humm. I purchased power conditioner changed the wall socket etc. nothing helped. Talking to support that on almost all headphones I have (8 out of 1) I need turn up the volume to unsafe levels to overcome the hum was considered "normal", as the headphones are high efficient (e.g. HD6XX & AEON2).

However I didn't gave up as I already knew that with a tube change the humm volume can be influenced, at least to the worst in my experience so far but eventually more quiet as well. I ordered A LOT....A LOT.... of tubes until I found pairs and combinations which brougth the hum down or even disappear on my favorite set of headphones.

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #1,110 of 2,694

There's a guy in the WA33 thread that had a humming problem (with the 15k elite model!) and woo audio fixed it, from what I could gather reading the posts. Might be worth checking into that. Something about an "out of spec" transformer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back