Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
May 25, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #901 of 2,698
Have you taken the tube amps Zach is selling on his page into consideration?

I have :)
It's just that there's so many stuff out there, and I don't even know where to start. Since I plan on just sticking with one tube amp for a few years before looking for an upgrade or an alternative.

May 25, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #902 of 2,698
I have :)
It's just that there's so many stuff out there, and I don't even know where to start. Since I plan on just sticking with one tube amp for a few years before looking for an upgrade or an alternative.

Woo amps tend to be overpriced for the performance they offer, don't get me wrong they are very well made, beautiful and good sounding amps, but
you can get much better sounding, higher quality amps for the money.
Like the ZMF Pendant (Apmsandsound), the DNA Starlett or Stratus which will both be on a whole nother
level soundwise for around the same price.

I own a Wa22 1st gen myself but had to invest over 600€ more for NOS tubes to really make it sound excellent.
I will be selling it soon, since I managed to snag up the very last original Eddie Current Studio Jr.(and propbably the last original EC ever) that is being burnt in at this very moment.

It cost me 2800$ without 300B tubes but is on par with amps that cost up to 10k or more.
The Wa22 with upgraded tubes would cost me 3000€ at least, and won't even come close to the Studio Jr.
You basically get what you paid for - in Wa22's case a good sounding amp with a beautifull chassis milled out of expensive aluminum blocks that have to be scraped if there are mistakes - which you pay for. :wink:

Just get the ZMF Pendant or DNA Starlett/Stratus and save yourself the money and time spent on experimenting and buying a custom amp later anyway - like most who owned a Wa22 did.
Zach and Ampsandsound made it specifically for ZMF cans, plus it is strong enough for most planars out there:

Or the stratus (he talks about the cable but mentions the amp), one of the best amps in the world, true high end:

And here we have the wonderful DNA Starlett impression thread on "another" forum:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/dna-starlett-impressions.8361/

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #903 of 2,698
Woo amps tend to be overpriced for the performance they offer, don't get me wrong they are very well made, beautiful and good sounding amps, but
you can get much better sounding, higher quality amps for the money.
Like the ZMF Pendant (Apmsandsound), the DNA Starlett or Stratus which will both be on a whole nother
level soundwise for around the same price.

I own a Wa22 myself but had to invest over 600€ more for NOS tubes to really make it sound excellent.
I will be selling it soon, since I managed to snag up the very last original Eddie Current Studio Junior that is being burnt in at this very moment.
It cost me 2800$ without 300B tubes but is on par with amps that cost up to 10k or more.
The Wa22 with upgradeed tubes would cost me 3000€ at least and would not even come close to the Studio Jr.
You basically get what you paid for - in Wa22's case a good sounding amp with a beautifull chassis milled out of expensive aluminum blocks that have to be scraped if there are mistakeswhich you pay for. :wink:

Just get the ZMF Pendant or DNA Starlett/Stratus and save yourself the money and time spent on experimenting and buying a custom amp later anyway - like most who owned a Wa22 did.
Zach and Ampsandsound made specifically it for the Verite and ZMF cans, plus it is strong enough for most planars out there:

Or the stratus (he talks about the cable but mentions the amp), one of the best amps in the world, true high end:

And here we have the wonderful DNA Starlett impression thread on "another" forum:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/dna-starlett-impressions.8361/

Thank you for the links!
It's just hard to buy something that cost this much without actually trying it out myself.
Yeah, I think I'll just wait it out... see how things are towards the end of 2020. I will take a step back, and enjoy what I currently have.

May 25, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #904 of 2,698
Hey everyone!

I'm very new to the world of audio (a year in), and I currently have the Verite Open + Tia Trio connected to the Questyle CMA 400i. I feel like I'm not listening to the Verite's fullest potential.. so I have been thinking of upgrading the 400i to the CMA Twelve Master, although the idea of having a seperate Amp + DAC intrigues me. I am quite interested in the WA22, HA-6A, and Manley Absolute. The problem I am facing is that most of the reviews are positive, but the moment I look up what the community are saying it tends to be negative. Since I'm located in Indonesia, there isn't any demo units around here.. so it makes things much harder since it will be a blindbuy. Maybe you guys could point me to the right direction?

Cheers!

Good not to trust randos on the internet. :)
That will save you money and time. Look to visit fairs and meets to hear the amps for yourself.
And to be honest the most help in our hobby one can have is friends and aqaintances you can trade and exchange gear with.
Have fun!

May 25, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #905 of 2,698
Good not to trust randos on the internet. :)
That will save you money and time. Look to visit fairs and meets to hear the amps for yourself.
And to be honest the most help in our hobby one can have is friends and aqaintances you can trade and exchange gear with.
Have fun!

I completely agree with that. Experience is the best teacher afterall.
Thank you once again :)

May 25, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #906 of 2,698
I completely agree with that. Experience is the best teacher afterall.
Thank you once again :)

I have to ad here - the Wa22 I have is 1st gen, the Gen 2, which should be an improovement in any aspect, I have not heard.
While we are at it - has anyone here had the chance to hear the new Wa22 and compare to gen 1?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #909 of 2,698
Just bought two 6080 with these values.

Section a 53mA 3.4ma/V gm
Section b 58mA 3.4ma/v gm

Section a 58mA 3.3ma/V gm
Section b 50mA 3.4ma/V gm

As they are not matched, whats the worst that can happen?

They are matching very well, but the problem is that they are too weak. The spec for 6080 is 7mA/V, so you bought sub 50% tubes.

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #911 of 2,698
^ depends on the testing values but true. For the typical values on the datasheets it's 100mA for a new tube and 60mA and below for a failed tube. Mind you that doesn't mean it can't be used for a long time in certain scenarios(BH Crack for example) but I'd be sceptical unless the testing parameters are shared.

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #913 of 2,698
Need some help with a channel imbalance issue. Got my WA22 back from a friend and no matter what tube configuration there’s always a channel imbalance. Stereo image still present but vocals are always at around 10o‘clock and not in the middle. Thanks for any tips and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back