Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #1,651 of 2,727
• TYPO: the rectifier tube is the Brimar CV1863 KB/FE. I am sorry that I did not catch the error sooner 😳. The notation on the tube also includes ‘5Z4GY’.
• This tube exudes power and control. Clarity, depth, force are there. At this point, it is my favourite rectifier tube for WA6 and WA6SE. Plus, it is not expensive!
Thanks for clarifying! I have one and prefer it with my HE-500 over my Sophia 274b. I do prefer the Sophia with my HD650's however.

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #1,652 of 2,727
I used the combo with my Utopia. no issues. just reduce some gain at the source if u can (dac volume/roon dsp). let us know if u like the 6sl7 tubes!
My DAC3B has jumpers, I can set it to -20dB. Looks like my tubes shipped too. I picked up some NOS National Union's from 1945 :)

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,653 of 2,727
The KR 5U4G RK is perhaps the closest thing to the perfect "tube" sound you can get from the WA6-SE. The bass is present, but not overwhelming, and it never gets bloated, boomy, or fatigue.

I've only had the Tung-Sol since Monday, and haven't given it a ton of listen time. I've got two powerhouse headphones coming on Monday (ZMF Atrium and Meze Elite) and plan to spend significant time with both on both Woos to get some good comparisons. Stay tuned.
How would you compare this to the 596?

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #1,654 of 2,727
How would you compare this to the 596?
The Mighty 596 is thicker and meatier, but a bit slower. Think molasses vs. simple syrup. Both are bold and capable, but the KR 5U4G RK is just in another league.

If your budget allows, buy both and compare, then sell the one you don't like. Or keep them both, like I do, because I have an obsessive collection disorder.

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,655 of 2,727
The Mighty 596 is thicker and meatier, but a bit slower. Think molasses vs. simple syrup. Both are bold and capable, but the KR 5U4G RK is just in another league.

If your budget allows, buy both and compare, then sell the one you don't like. Or keep them both, like I do, because I have an obsessive collection disorder.
Thanks, just for reference to your comments, what headphones do you primarily use, and what genre of music do you usually go for?

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,656 of 2,727
Thanks, just for reference to your comments, what headphones do you primarily use, and what genre of music do you usually go for?
I switch them out, but I've been using my Meze Empyreans for the past two weeks, with a smattering of my Focal Clear MG (w/Stellia pads) and my Sendy Peacock. The Utopia gets brought out every now and again, but not recently (too many new toys to play with). Last night was night #1 with my ZMF Atrium LTD Bubingas.

As for music, I have a fairly wide gamut of musical tastes, but lately it's been either Metal Covers or Blues Rock. When I'm doing critical testing/listening, I have a playlist on Tidal that has everything from Rock to Country to Jazz to Classical. I'm not a huge EDM/House music fan, a bit too old for that, but the Crystal Method pops in from time-to-time.

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #1,657 of 2,727
I switch them out, but I've been using my Meze Empyreans for the past two weeks, with a smattering of my Focal Clear MG (w/Stellia pads) and my Sendy Peacock. The Utopia gets brought out every now and again, but not recently (too many new toys to play with). Last night was night #1 with my ZMF Atrium LTD Bubingas.

As for music, I have a fairly wide gamut of musical tastes, but lately it's been either Metal Covers or Blues Rock. When I'm doing critical testing/listening, I have a playlist on Tidal that has everything from Rock to Country to Jazz to Classical. I'm not a huge EDM/House music fan, a bit too old for that, but the Crystal Method pops in from time-to-time.
So you prefer the KR 5U4G to the KR 274B-HP (which is much more expensive)?

I think I'll probably go for the 596 first based on your description.

In the interest of sharing music, here is my playlist that I use in the car, when I use my woo, it's all local FLAC or tidal both via Roon.

Apr 19, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #1,658 of 2,727
Well, let's put them to the test, shall we?

20220419_190225.jpg

20220419_190632.jpg

I'll give them each a half hour to warm up. Any preference as to headphone you want me to use to compare?

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #1,659 of 2,727
After going back and forth for about an hour, I stand by my original assessment - the KR 274B-HD is a very competent, very clean, very analytical tube with no gravitas. It simply doesn't have any weight behind it. The KR 5U4G RK has more heft, bass, and weight, and is otherwise the better tube. Also, the KR 5U4G RK is about a hundred bucks MORE than the KR-274B-HD (at least on Best300B.com)

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #1,660 of 2,727
After going back and forth for about an hour, I stand by my original assessment - the KR 274B-HD is a very competent, very clean, very analytical tube with no gravitas. It simply doesn't have any weight behind it. The KR 5U4G RK has more heft, bass, and weight, and is otherwise the better tube. Also, the KR 5U4G RK is about a hundred bucks MORE than the KR-274B-HD (at least on Best300B.com)
Thanks for all your effort; I guess woo audio is overcharging a lot.

https://wooaudio.com/tubes/kraudio-274b-hp

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #1,661 of 2,727
Thanks for all your effort; I guess woo audio is overcharging a lot.

https://wooaudio.com/tubes/kraudio-274b-hp
Oh, yeah, it's WAY overpriced! Best300B seems to have the best prices on these (but then again, I haven't looked too much). The Mighty 596 can be found for around $200 on eBay, and I think there's a guy selling a pair of them in the classifieds for $175 ea. If you don't want to Woo adapter, they're like $15 on ebay. But the Woo one is much better made and looks incredible. But it's $150. Worth it IMO. That brings the Mighty 596 to $350-$400ish, and now you're in KR 5U4G RK territory....

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,662 of 2,727

Would your assessment be the same for both planar and dynamic headphones? Now I'm definitely curious to try this tube out :)

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #1,663 of 2,727
Would your assessment be the same for both planar and dynamic headphones? Now I'm definitely curious to try this tube out :)
Generally, yes. But tomorrow I'll fire them back up and run some comparisons.

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #1,665 of 2,727

Users who are viewing this thread

Back