Woo Audio WA2 with a remote control
Apr 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cribeiro

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

as you may know from another thread, I am looking for a tube pre-amp + headphone amp for my stereo rig and HD650. I am strongly leaning towards the WA2, because the descriptions about its sound look like it will fit my needs, it is extraordinary value for the money and looks gorgeous
cool.gif
But I am a lazy lad, and have been put off by the mere idea of getting up every time I want to adjust the volume
rolleyes.gif

So I wrote to Jack and we exchanged a few emails. He told me they are going to release a remote control option soon, and even sent me a picture:

By acribeiro

The remote control option is not compatible with the DACT stepped attenuator, and will cost around 450$, maybe less (remote + motor driven volume control). He will include it soon in the web site.

Note: information and picture posted with permission of Woo Audio.

Although I told him I still need several months to recover from my last purchase (SVS PB12plus
very_evil_smiley.gif
), he was very friendly and did answer all my questions.

I am seeing a WA2 in my future... (I also looked into the Zana and other suggestions, but even if the WA2 is not the absolute best sonically, it is also not the most expensive and the best good looking, with remote, etc.).

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 10
I like the machining that Woo Audio uses. Very solid. The up/down is a little strange for a volume control but I guess it is up in volume and down in volume or does the remote work on you and you have to get up to change the volume?

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... or does the remote work on you and you have to get up to change the volume?

eek.gif
I hope not! That's a real good one, though :rofl:

I really have to restrain myself from buying, it is so obsessive that I have the amp as desktop background in my PC at work
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm also in the process of considering the WA2 as preamp/headamp on my living room speaker/headphone rig but $450 extra is a lot for a remote and all the more so for headphone duties where you're barely ever more than ten feet from your rig.

I think Woo might be better off either selling two models: one with and one without remote. Buying the unit with the remote and volume pot preinstalled should be cheaper to get the unit out the door.

The extra $450 certainly makes the price less attractive and starts making it less competitive next to some other offerings.

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 10
It is an option, after all, so it is up to you to invest the extra cash or not... Think that the DACT stepped attenuator costs already 200 euro. I can imagine that the motor driven volume control is not cheap, specially since he only integrates high-quality parts. The aluminium remote also costs something, and assembling the parts too. The development investment must also be recovered...
I can imagine a price drop depending on sales, though.

May 6, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 10
This remote control has the most amazing heft I've ever felt before. You pick the thing up and immediately realize this belongs to some serious equipment. I loved it, but cannot see myself spending $450 for it though, sadly.

Jun 3, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 10
At $150 (don't know how feasible that would ever be; I'm just saying) I'd buy the option for my WA6 SE. At $450, it's not something I'd ever consider. I wonder how much of that $450 is going into the machined aluminum housing, because I'd hate to think that most of the price difference between the WA6 and WA6 SE goes into the second chassis :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back