Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 1, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #676 of 774
For those using A&K players as source to an external balanced amplifier, this adapter looks to be the correct implementation to use the LINE OUT feature. Perhaps someone from @Effect Audio Official or @Audio46 can chime in.

https://audio46.com/products/effect-audio-aka-balance-adapter

1601569660981.png

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #677 of 774
Audio46 Audio46 is the destination store in NYC to demo and buy headphone products. Stay updated on Audio46 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Audio46 https://twitter.com/Audio46NYC https://www.instagram.com/audio46/ https://audio46.com/ info@audio46.com
Nov 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #678 of 774
I own a Luxury & Precision P6 DAP and Meze Empyrean headphones. I use my P6 with RCA cables from the 3.5mm outlet to input on an inexpensive amp. The WA11 seems to have all of the qualities and small footprint that I am looking for. How would I go about connecting my P6 to the WA11 for it to be used as an amp only or is that not possible? The P6 has an unbalanced 3.5mm unbalanced line out and also has a balanced 4.4mm for headphones. Not sure how or if this could be grounded to work with 4.4mm pentaconn input on the WA11 or what inter connect cable would be required?

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #679 of 774
I own a Luxury & Precision P6 DAP and Meze Empyrean headphones. I use my P6 with RCA cables from the 3.5mm outlet to input on an inexpensive amp. The WA11 seems to have all of the qualities and small footprint that I am looking for. How would I go about connecting my P6 to the WA11 for it to be used as an amp only or is that not possible? The P6 has an unbalanced 3.5mm unbalanced line out and also has a balanced 4.4mm for headphones. Not sure how or if this could be grounded to work with 4.4mm pentaconn input on the WA11 or what inter connect cable would be required?
It will depend on how the balanced headphone out on your player treats ground. it's best to ask Woo Audio directly, since not all DAPs balanced output may be suitable (some use the ground pin, others do not, since the headphone themselves do not require it). Woo sells a pricey balanced cable for those situations, where the single-ended output jack on the DAP is used for ground):

https://wooaudio.com/accessories/wooaudio-specialty-cables (4.4 pentacon 5-pin to 5-pin)

Doing a direct 4.4 mm to 4.4 mm may cause shorting in the amp.

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #680 of 774
It will depend on how the balanced headphone out on your player treats ground. it's best to ask Woo Audio directly, since not all DAPs balanced output may be suitable (some use the ground pin, others do not, since the headphone themselves do not require it). Woo sells a pricey balanced cable for those situations, where the single-ended output jack on the DAP is used for ground):

https://wooaudio.com/accessories/wooaudio-specialty-cables (4.4 pentacon 5-pin to 5-pin)

Doing a direct 4.4 mm to 4.4 mm may cause shorting in the amp.
Thanks for your response. I sent an email to Woo Audio inquiring about this. It is confusing to know if my balanced 4.4mm line out would work with the WA11 or not. Wish WA gave more clarity on this.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #681 of 774

You also need to ask Luxury & Precision whether the P6 DAP's 4.4mm out has ground connected. If I were to guess, the answer is probably yes as almost all Chinese companies have their DAP's 4.4 mm ground connected. I only know the Sony Walkman series don't have its 4.4mm outputs connected to ground.

Then you'll need a 4.4 mm to 4.4mm cable with all 5 poles connected. If in case the P6's 4.4 mm out does not have ground connected, you can get a 4.4mm (4 poles connected) + 3.5 mm plug (only GND connected) to 4.4mm cable.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #682 of 774
Hi @wofsie I recommend using the DAP’s digital out into the WA11. No matter how good the external dac is, the “implementation” of the internal DAC in the WA11 is most likely better sounding. Try both, but for me the WA11 sounded better than chord Hugo 2 (using Astell SP1000 digital out) , and there’s no doubt the Hugo 2 has a better DAC. It’s the amp quality and how the dac has been integrated.

once you tried you might go one step further and ditch the P6 in favour of the Astell SR25 like I did. The SR25 has a better screen, faster processor and 20 hours battery. It fits perfectly on top of the WA6 and most importantly it is only 175gramms. Your wrist and eyes will thank you after browsing a few hours.
Enjoy 😊

Attachments

• CCC4B5E0-C22D-4D11-B0B2-BB47E2CB13DC.jpeg
    CCC4B5E0-C22D-4D11-B0B2-BB47E2CB13DC.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #683 of 774
Hi @wofsie I recommend using the DAP’s digital out into the WA11. No matter how good the external dac is, the “implementation” of the internal DAC in the WA11 is most likely better sounding. Try both, but for me the WA11 sounded better than chord Hugo 2 (using Astell SP1000 digital out) , and there’s no doubt the Hugo 2 has a better DAC. It’s the amp quality and how the dac has been integrated.

once you tried you might go one step further and ditch the P6 in favour of the Astell SR25 like I did. The SR25 has a better screen, faster processor and 20 hours battery. It fits perfectly on top of the WA6 and most importantly it is only 175gramms. Your wrist and eyes will thank you after browsing a few hours.
Enjoy 😊

A more convenient cable is on order from Woo Audio so the connection will be almost flat against the case. for stacking I use an “anti slip mat” that they sell for cars to keep your phone on the dashboard. I cut it to size of DAP and it snaps on, for me a perfect solution as I won’t go jogging with this setup 🤣

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #684 of 774
A more convenient cable is on order from Woo Audio so the connection will be almost flat against the case. for stacking I use an “anti slip mat” that they sell for cars to keep your phone on the dashboard. I cut it to size of DAP and it snaps on, for me a perfect solution as I won’t go jogging with this setup 🤣
What's that cable you're using, it has to be special,right?

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #685 of 774
I’m currently using a fiio cable, with a micro-usb to usb-c adapter. The woo audio cable is better (shorter and no adapter needed) but it’s taking weeks to get it from US to UK.

Attachments

• 94929995-AB8E-489C-A86A-E60CAC70ABA2.jpeg
    94929995-AB8E-489C-A86A-E60CAC70ABA2.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 0
  • F7E6EEBF-5FF5-4220-B420-CF93F35F4BA4.jpeg
    F7E6EEBF-5FF5-4220-B420-CF93F35F4BA4.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 30, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #686 of 774
I’m currently using a fiio cable, with a micro-usb to usb-c adapter. The woo audio cable is better (shorter and no adapter needed) but it’s taking weeks to get it from US to UK.
This actually works, I'll be looking for a higher quality short c to c but does it have to be directional?
Btw, the sound with Alpha, Denon 9200 is uncanny

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #687 of 774
The woo audio cable is $25 plus 10 or 15 shipping. It’s the flattest angled connector I’ve seen, so worth the wait for me.

the sound is the best battery powered setup I have heard, my LCD XC sound effortlessly clean and alive. And you can push earsplitting volumes if you feel like it. The relaxed “no sweat” sound is awesome. I did hear marginally better sound with mains powered amps but I need headphones to be mobile. 80’s Walkman generation I guess 😊

Nov 30, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #688 of 774
The woo audio cable is $25 plus 10 or 15 shipping. It’s the flattest angled connector I’ve seen, so worth the wait for me.

the sound is the best battery powered setup I have heard, my LCD XC sound effortlessly clean and alive. And you can push earsplitting volumes if you feel like it. The relaxed “no sweat” sound is awesome. I did hear marginally better sound with mains powered amps but I need headphones to be mobile. 80’s Walkman generation I guess 😊
Yeah, you and me alike, this is my best battery setup and its awesome.
If i want anything else i play home system, you can't beat that with anything headphone 😉
The shipping was free, now the waiting, but as this current one works im not bothered.
Thanks for your help🍻🍻
Best

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #689 of 774
Ultra quick delivery but the Alpha is a little too big for comfort, guess I'll use this with phone instead
Ps. Tried phone, interrupts randomly, bad news
20201202_152321.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #690 of 774
Ultra quick delivery but the Alpha is a little too big for comfort, guess I'll use this with phone instead
Ps. Tried phone, interrupts randomly, bad news
20201202_152321.jpg
I’d get an Astell kern SR15 or SR25. I tried iPhone and the sound was rubbish. AK SP1000 is way too heavy for the combo.
Jealous that you have the cable already mine is still somewhere over the Atlantic 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back