Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #362 of 774
Low level has way too much gain in this amp. I have to lower the volume at the source when using the internal DAC otherwise it's unusable.

The gain is fine for my IEMs but I do agree that the volume pot could be a bit less sensitive at low levels. It gets loud very quickly and there's not that much room for fine adjustment of volume when driving sensitive IEMs.

How is the sound compared to the Hugo 2? Is it at desktop amp levels of sq?

The Hugo 2 is a better pure DAC, but using it as a DAC/amp and the output is quite harsh. I used to own one and the only way I could enjoy it is running it to a Mass Kobo 404.

The WA11's DAC isn't as good but the amp stage is much more powerful.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #363 of 774
The gain is fine for my IEMs but I do agree that the volume pot could be a bit less sensitive at low levels. It gets loud very quickly and there's not that much room for fine adjustment of volume when driving sensitive IEMs.
That is EXACTLY what people mean by gain being too high! :wink:

Mar 29, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #364 of 774
Can someone send pictures of the cable texts, thanks.
ny40b-1920.jpg
Anyone?

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #365 of 774

The tips has (USB 2.0 OTG Host) printed on it
The wire (E338413 AWM 2725 28 AWG/1PR+24AWG/2C 80 degree C 30V VW-1 Shielded High Speed USB 2.0) printed on it

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #373 of 774
It will not work a 3.0 cable.

@WooAudio Thanks for clarifying this.

Now I know, that in any situation, the so called full-featured USB-C cable* IS NOT working with WA11. This seems a bit strange to me, but it must be like this since you are telling it is. Makes me wonder, what would have it required from Woo, that the latest and newest USB cables would have also worked with WA11.

*Full-featured USB-C cable means, that cable contains a chip inside providing an ID function necessary for the latest USB 3.x standards.

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #375 of 774
Using the balanced output, I would say there is a very slight hiss when the volume knob is turned to "listenable" level. If you turn up the knob with no music playing, the hiss becomes much more noticeable. In the WA11 manual, it also mentioned that it's normal to hear hiss when adjusting volume so let me try this again after adjusting the volume and leaving it alone for a while. I haven't used my A18t with the WA11 since day one as I've been trying different combinations for the past few days.

I've also tried the Campfire Andromeda S & Equinox with the WA11. With the Andromeda S, I got similar results like the A18t. With the Equinox, I think I barely hear any hiss. I love the WA11 & Equinox pairing by the way, much more than the Andromeda S or A18t pairing.

This is where I wished the WA11 had three different gain settings, it would make this device much more versatile.

You have pha-3 in your signature. Would you be so kind to elaborate on how do you feel two amps compare? Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back