Woo Audio to complement a Phonitor?
Feb 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mwilson

Ants in my Stax
I've been using a Phonitor for quite a while, driving my HD800, and I have to say that I enjoy it very much. I am thinking of getting a tube amp to complement it, replacing my Elekit TU-882, which, nifty as it is for its price point, has some shortcomings.

I was looking at the WA2 and the WA22. My source is a Cambridge Audio 840C. I guess I desire a lush, warm tube sound; I listen mostly to classical, jazz and some acoustic material.

Any thoughs in which would be the best match for the HD800? By the way, I'm not committed to the Woo Audio brand, so if there's something you feel would make a better match, feel free to suggest. My budget is below $2k.

TIA!

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 15
WA22 sound very lush, and tube warm, but they also sound lean with HD800 with stock caps. You also can use ONLY 6SN7 type tube overcome the lean problem. But the bad news is 6SN7 are not the best sounding tubes for this amp.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 15
I listen to Jazz + Classic for 80% of the time, and I can honestly say that I enjoy HD800 with WA22.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 15
BTW, if your budget is below 2k, I'd strongly recommend going with Sonnett. WA22 isn't under 2k. You gotta think about hidden cost associated with "tube" amps. :)

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using a Phonitor for quite a while, driving my HD800, and I have to say that I enjoy it very much. I am thinking of getting a tube amp to complement it, replacing my Elekit TU-882, which, nifty as it is for its price point, has some shortcomings.

I was looking at the WA2 and the WA22. My source is a Cambridge Audio 840C. I guess I desire a lush, warm tube sound; I listen mostly to classical, jazz and some acoustic material.

Any thoughs in which would be the best match for the HD800? By the way, I'm not committed to the Woo Audio brand, so if there's something you feel would make a better match, feel free to suggest. My budget is below $2k.

TIA!

Don't think you can go wrong with a Woo.

I use HD-800(Cardas Cable) with a Woo WA6SE. Very nice combo with the Princess and a nice pair of RCA big bottle silver top tipped.

Also I hope your source only does D/A conversion.

I use a Oppo BD-83SE/NE as my source hooked via interconnects to my WA6SE.
Oppo specs.
The dedicated stereo output uses 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels to achieve greater audio performance.

ss

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I hope your source only does D/A conversion.

I use it as a DAC, but also as a CD player proper; I'm actually quite pleased with its sound in both capabilities.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, if your budget is below 2k, I'd strongly recommend going with Sonnett. WA22 isn't under 2k. You gotta think about hidden cost associated with "tube" amps. :)

Yeah, I saw the upgrades on their site. Who knows, I just might go for it; based on what I read on these and other forums, the WA22 is an amp to behold.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Yes it is and to suggest otherwise, is doing a large disservice. You don't need to have a maxxed out amp. I'm sure the stock one sounds just fine. If you want a maxxed out amp that's fine, but that's a choice and not the default situation.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

I listen to Jazz + Classic for 80% of the time, and I can honestly say that I enjoy HD800 with WA22.

I listen 40% modern rock, 30% female vocal, 10% jazz/Classic, and 10% what ever sound good

RS-1 did not sound good with WA22, sounded dry and lifeless. There is disconnectionns between high~mid~low range.

Audio technica L3000 is on the black list too. Too big and thick of midrange and voice cover come everything else.

Denon D7000 matched well with WA22, so as ED8.

Ofcourse, HD650 sing with this amp.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Going for $1900 at woo audio.
Edit: Woo Audio 22 Fully Balanced Headphone Tube Amplifier

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by groovizintheheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going for $1900 at woo audio.
Edit: Woo Audio 22 Fully Balanced Headphone Tube Amplifier

I don't think you got the "hidden" cost part..

The stock tube that accompanies the WA22 is FAR from great. You will have to spend quite a bit of money to get a nice tubes to complement the WA22.

That's what I meant by "hidden" cost, not the 'hidden' cost from the Woo Audio per se.

If your budget is flexible and can extend a bit further than $1900, then by all means..

I'd personally do that myself if I am in your position though. WA22 has more inputs, more headphone outs, and generally more flexible and great sounding amp. You won't regret it how it scales well with the tube upgrades.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

The stock tube that accompanies the WA22 is FAR from great. You will have to spend quite a bit of money to get a nice tubes to complement the WA22.

I read quite a bit over the last week on this topic, and I see that the consensus is that the stock tubes, while adequate, will not make the WA22 shine; some quality NOS tubes are needed for a stellar sound.

I've also seen some opinions to the contrary, so I've decided to hold off on my purchase until I can audition one. Any WA22 owners in the So. Fla. area that might be interested in a mini-meet?

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read quite a bit over the last week on this topic, and I see that the consensus is that the stock tubes, while adequate, will not make the WA22 shine; some quality NOS tubes are needed for a stellar sound.

I've also seen some opinions to the contrary, so I've decided to hold off on my purchase until I can audition one. Any WA22 owners in the So. Fla. area that might be interested in a mini-meet?

Good choice. $2000+ isn't cheap to make without a proper listen.

I live in GA, so if you ever come around here, I can give you a listen~.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I live in GA, so if you ever come around here, I can give you a listen~.

Thanks, that's a very kind offer; unfortunately, when in GA I'm usually at ATL changing planes or at 30,000 ft if on a direct flight :frowning2:

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 15
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back