Woo Audio ID & serial number date code
Jul 13, 2020 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

WDC

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know if the Model & Date Code is incorporated into the Woo serial number (SN. 04111015).

I purchased this headphone amp very early on 2004-6 when Woo Audio was offering them on eBay. Frankly, I've lost track of the date and model number of the unit and was hoping to be able to identify from the serial number. There are no markings on the front or back identifying the model, likely before they were added. I'm not even certain that it is a WA6 but it's the closest match to what's currently being offered on the website.

Any identifying the model and year would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Will

PS, I may have answered my own question after looking at my Head-fi signature "Woo Audio WA3/Senn-HD600/CARDAS...". This being the case, what is the difference between WA3 & WA6? I am not seeing WA3 on the Woo website these days.

Woo Audio Headphone Amp-001.jpgWoo Audio Headphone Amp-002.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 6
The WA3 is an OTL amp. The WA6 is a transform coupled amp. They look similar but really different circuit designs.
Thanks for that.

Woo Audio did get right back to me confirming it is a WA3. Funny they did it with a photo of the amp and not the SN. One would think that the model and year would be coded into the SN. That said this was a very early unit and could be pre-coding.

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for that.

Woo Audio did get right back to me confirming it is a WA3. Funny they did it with a photo of the amp and not the SN. One would think that the model and year would be coded into the SN. That said this was a very early unit and could be pre-coding.

You have a little gem there! The WA3, as I'm sure you know is no longer produced. But it has a cult following due to the fact that it's punches above it's weight class. It's an OTL amp, with a small footprint and will really drive the hard to drive 300 ohm dynamics. You rarely see them come up for sale on the used makert because people know, they are great amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back