Woo Audio - Balanced amp in the works!
Feb 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

David_N

100+ Head-Fier
So, I asked Jack about the possability of a balanced amp being custom made, and here's the reply!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
Thank you for your interests with our products. We do custom build amp. In fact, we have one fully balanced amp in development but release date is indefinite.

We can build you an amp with a [] pair of balanced outputs. At this moment, however, I would defer a custom balanced amp until we have time to complete the ongoing product. I hope you understand.

Great news for those who like balanced! What do you guys think this is going to be like? When do you think we will see it available?

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 9
this has been in the works for a long time. who knows when, or even if, it will ever come out. of course, Woo makes very good products so it would be most welcome in the market.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 9
I would guess that the balanced version of something like the 5LE would maybe cost a solid $3000 base...they have to do everything internally like a mirror image to make it balanced and ensure channel separation...possibly as high as $4000, unless they are doing a really scaled down design. The WA5LE is an overbuilt monster and perhaps they will do something a little smaller, but i doubt it'll be that much cheaper than the Millett 307.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would guess that the balanced version of something like the 5LE would maybe cost a solid $3000 base...they have to do everything internally like a mirror image to make it balanced and ensure channel separation...possibly as high as $4000, unless they are doing a really scaled down design. The WA5LE is an overbuilt monster and perhaps they will do something a little smaller, but i doubt it'll be that much cheaper than the Millett 307.

Hopefully, to appeal to a larger audience, they consider something in the 1-2k range.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 9
From my discussions with Woo Audio, their balanced amp (the one currently under development) is based on the WA2, not the WA5.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my discussions with Woo Audio, their balanced amp (the one currently under development) is based on the WA2, not the WA5.

I hope this isn't so. Differential OTL is problematic at best. Section matching in 6AS7's isn't a problem in single ended amps, but being truly balanced will cause some issues.

Hopefully we will see a balanced headphone amp with transformer coupled inputs/outputs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back