Woo Audio 5 owners - 1/4" jack performance
Sep 28, 2007 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gaijin

Banned
I have not seen too much feedback on the performance of Woo 5 using the 1/4" jack. I would be interested to know how it performs with various headphones - HD650, AKG K701, AKG K340.

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 2
When I wrote about hearing it at the International Meet in San Jose, I was listening with Cardas and HD650 from the 1/4". I kept coming back for more, and didn't want to leave. Both objectively and on an emotional level, I felt I'd found my favorite amp.

Head-Fest National Meet 2007 Report By "Stoney"

Later, I was moved by that experience to buy a lesser Woo. Jack recommended the WA6 as being cut from the same cloth. Yes, I'm getting much of that pleasure using the WA6 (stock caps, but replaced the rectifier with a Sylvania 5V4 for better extension and detail). The cost savings... and floor space... is worth the slight loss of imaging and magic that the WA6 provides. And, sound is so good, I don't miss the fact that it is not a balanced setup, something that works very well with the HD650. Of course, with tubes, part of the charm is the distortion spectrum, so balancing would work against that to a degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back