Woo Audio 4 or Single Power Extreme for K701
May 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mmwwhats

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp to drive my K701s. I'm using the Cambridge 840c as a source. I currently own the CI Audio VHP-2 + VAC-1 and the Single Power MPX. Both are fine amps, but don't have the current to drive the K701s properly. I like listening at normal volumes, and at those volumes the dynamics aren't there. I'm looking for an amp that can give me a warm involving sound with solid dynamics at normal listening levels. I've narrowed my search down to a Woo Audio 4 or a Single Power Extreme (both stock). I'm looking to spend around $1K give or take (but take would be better than give). I know not too many people have heard the wa4 (and many have heard the extreme) but any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

May 11, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an amp to drive my K701s. I'm using the Cambridge 840c as a source. I currently own the CI Audio VHP-2 + VAC-1 and the Single Power MPX. Both are fine amps, but don't have the current to drive the K701s properly. I like listening at normal volumes, and at those volumes the dynamics aren't there. I'm looking for an amp that can give me a warm involving sound with solid dynamics at normal listening levels. I've narrowed my search down to a Woo Audio 4 or a Single Power Extreme (both stock). I'm looking to spend around $1K give or take (but take would be better than give). I know not too many people have heard the wa4 (and many have heard the extreme) but any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

I asked this question in one of your other threads but you never answered .... what tubes are you using? The MPX3 should drive the 701 fine with the right output tubes.
confused.gif

May 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 12
Hey SACD Lover, sorry for the no response there; I haven't really been checking that thread as I intended to just post a amp impression periodically. The tubes I'm using are NOS 6BL7-GTA. I've heard those tubes should be fine for the K701s.. and I guess they... fine. But they're not great; the music's missing life and dynamics. Turning up the volume adds some, but it also makes the amp/phones combo annoying bright and fatiguing. I need something to play authoritatively at normal volumes and the 6BL7-GTA tubes don't really do it.

May 11, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 12
SinglePower Extreme, on the basis that the Woo 4 uses 12AU7 input tubes. 12AU7s were never designed for linearity and they can't be made to run linearly, they belong in guitar amps and have no place in hi-fi. Even a run of the mill 6SN7 such as the GE 6SN7GTA/B will handily outperform the best NOS 12AU7 variants ever made in hi-fi audio applications.

May 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey SACD Lover, sorry for the no response there; I haven't really been checking that thread as I intended to just post a amp impression periodically. The tubes I'm using are NOS 6BL7-GTA. I've heard those tubes should be fine for the K701s.. and I guess they... fine. But they're not great; the music's missing life and dynamics. Turning up the volume adds some, but it also makes the amp/phones combo annoying bright and fatiguing. I need something to play authoritatively at normal volumes and the 6BL7-GTA tubes don't really do it.

If your amp isnt optimized for the 6bl7gta output tube .... the tube sounds dead in the normal MPX3. I asked this because for a couple hundred bucks you can get the 5687 adapters and that tube drives the 701 well. The 5687 works perfectly in the standard 300 volt MPX3's.

If your amp is optimized for the 6blgta and you want a more dynamic and faster sound one of the higher voltage gain tubes will do a much better job than the 6sn7, for example, the 2c51 or 6414. Do you know what options your amp has?

As for your question .... I have not heard the 701 sound better than in the Extreme. The Extreme fully exploits the 701's big soundstage and gets more bass power out of the 701. But, the 701 is not a headphone I typically think of for high dynamic contrast, especially in the bass. The 701 always sounds on the leightweight side to me.

May 12, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the comments Sacd. I've contacted single power and going to try an extreme stock with 6080 and 6NS7s. Mikhail says it'll give me the power and tubey sound I'm looking for. If not, he'll take it back (which is great). I'll compare the mpx to the extreme when it arrives. However, this doesn't mean i'm still not interested in the wa4 if someone's got some feedback on that sweet looking piece of kit!

May 12, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 12
I have heard SinglePowers and I have heard Woos. I like my Doge better than either with my ALO 701s. Just some food for thought in case you would like to spend less and get better sound quality......

May 12, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard SinglePowers and I have heard Woos. I like my Doge better than either with my ALO 701s. Just some food for thought in case you would like to spend less and get better sound quality......

I own two Doge 6210's. Both of mine are heavily modded and sound much better than the original 6210. But, neither version touches any of my SP's. In fact, I didnt like the 701 with the stock 6210 at all. Even modded to the hilt I dont feel the 6210 is a particularly good match with the 701; to sterile. Maybe ALO 701's are different?

May 12, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 12
Perhaps. The ALOs are significantly more energetic and the biggest difference from stock is how much like live music they seem - everything as a little more edgy but still natural-sounding.

Also, I received my Doge with the EL84s still unable to accept NOS tubes and with JJs installed and they were "sterile" - sounded like a seriously great SS amp.

I snipped the connection that crippled the EL84 sockets and I am now running Sylvania black plates and it is far from sterile. Gets even cozier when you run something lower-powered than 12ax7s in the back. The vocals and guitars are incredible.....

I would love to hear, or hear about, what the mods do to this amp.

May 12, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, I almost sprung for a used Doge, but damn they're ugly. Great reason not too buy something right? Truth is, though, I didn't think the Doge would be a good match. Looks like according to sacdlover I was right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back