Woo Audio 3 with low impedance cans?
Feb 21, 2006 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

watchluvr4ever

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone here use the Woo Audio 3 with low impedance cans such as the Grado SR-325's? Will the Woo Audio 3 sound good with low impedance cans or is it too much amp? Thanks.

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 15
I use both SR325i and MS2i with Woo3...no problem. It works very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever
Does anyone here use the Woo Audio 3 with low impedance cans such as the Grado SR-325's? Will the Woo Audio 3 sound good with low impedance cans or is it too much amp? Thanks.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 15
I use CD-3000's with the Woo Audio 3 and it's fantastic. I was afraid of the same thing (too much amp), but I can listen comfortably without it being too loud with the volume knob almost half-way.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 15
My RS2's don't sound all that good with the woo3 at the moment, still breaking in the amp though. Senn 590's sound awesome.

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by russedelic
How about with the AKG701s?

anyone?!

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Works just fine with MS2's which I believe are the same impedance as the 325's. Not my favorite can/amp combo but works just fine. I have tube rolled considerably and gone warmer and bassier. I would think the stock tubes would work better with the Grado/Allesandro cans. If your cans or amp are brand new, some hours are recommended before passing final judgement. The Woo3 is just a great amp for the money.

Mar 30, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by russedelic
How about with the AKG701s?

Not a good match... the 701's distort in the bass region when played through the Woo. There are some that think that the Woo doesn't have enough current to satisfactorily drive the 701's, and although at first I didn't agree with that assessment, it would appear that that theory may have some validity. I'm toying with the idea of getting a tubed speaker amp and another pair of 701's and pairing them up to see how well the 701's handle more power.

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 15
How are the x-cans with the 701s? I'm wavering back and forth between the x-cans and the corda aria (maybe even the gilmore lite). Your sage advice and experience are greatly appreciated.

rr

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
Not a good match... the 701's distort in the bass region when played through the Woo. There are some that think that the Woo doesn't have enough current to satisfactorily drive the 701's, and although at first I didn't agree with that assessment, it would appear that that theory may have some validity. I'm toying with the idea of getting a tubed speaker amp and another pair of 701's and pairing them up to see how well the 701's handle more power.

I believe the opposite is true...The 701's are low impedance cans, what are they 60 or 70 ohms? The Woo Audio 3 can drive the HD650's with ease, and with no distortion of bass whatsoever, and the 650's are 300 ohms. I was tipped off by someone about a month ago, that the Woo 3 is better suited to higher impedance cans, as the power tube has a very high output impedance that low impedance cans cannot handle; thus, the distortion with the K701's.

Mar 31, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I believe the opposite is true...The 701's are low impedance cans, what are they 60 or 70 ohms? The Woo Audio 3 can drive the HD650's with ease, and with no distortion of bass whatsoever, and the 650's are 300 ohms. I was tipped off by someone about a month ago, that the Woo 3 is better suited to higher impedance cans, as the power tube has a very high output impedance that low impedance cans cannot handle; thus, the distortion with the K701's.

There are people in this thread who say they have no problem driving their low impedence cans with their Woo amps, so it's a little too simplistic to be saying that the Woo isn't suited to low impedence cans.

There have been reports of the 701's not matching up very well with other amps besides the Woo, so it would appear that there's more to the 701/Woo story than simple impedence matching, and I suspect that a good share of the problem with the 701's is that they're probably not a very efficient set of cans, and so it takes mucho power to make them sing.

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 15
But if it's a matter of current, how can a battery-operated portable like the SR-71 not have a problem with the 701's? I've heard it matches up pretty well. Maybe I've heard mistakenly, but that would kind of blow that theory out of the water.

May 16, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 15
I'm driving my 701s with the Woo3, and the sound is better than anything I've heard anywhere else, with no obvious flaws. No bass hump or distortion. High end and mids sound like what everyone is describing the 701 to sound like - namely - amazing.

Keep in mind that your power tube is going to make a difference here, so if you have a problem, post your tube as well. I'm using a Tung-sol 5998, with amperex 6dj8s.

May 17, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7
My RS2's don't sound all that good with the woo3 at the moment, still breaking in the amp though. Senn 590's sound awesome.

Dude, roll the tubes! The power tube I like best is a TungSol 7236, want a more tubey sound, spend some cash one a Western Electric 421a. As for the signal tubes, my favorites are the Amperex pinched waist 6922 from Holland, the RCA 7308, then the US version pinched waist, then 60's grey plated Siemens & Halske E188cc(not Siemens Rohre). These are also very expensive tubes though.(the RCA's can sometimes be found for cheap because people don't realize they were made by Siemens). 6bz7 tube also sound great, even over some of the Amperex tube and can be had for a few dollors each. Remember though that each tube has to be burnt in too. A note on the expensive tubes, you cannot lose on buying them now even though they are expensive because they are only going to appreciate. Many new CD players, DAC's, and inexpensive preamps are using them now more than ever and it is driving the price up!

May 17, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7

Have you tried wiring the signal tubes in parallel omitting the preamp as an option. I did this for a while and it gave my HD650's a little extra slam but I miss my little preamp. When I found the 7236 power tube delivered more bass than I needed I rewired the Woo in it's original configuration and now have all the bass I need as well as my preamp back for those rare occasions I choose my Speakers for critical listening.c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back