Woo Audio 3 tube rolling suggestions?
May 2, 2007 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Artguy

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone here give me a brief explanation of the tubes that came stock with my Woo Audio 3 amp? The big one is the power tube, right? And the two smaller ones are input tubes? Do the smaller tubes have to match each other? I have researched the subject of tube rolling and hope that someone out there who knows the subject and knows my amp can give me a concise explanation of tubes, and then make some affordable suggestions of tubes that are available as NOS or new in box so I can start to search for the perfect synergy with my AKG 701's. Thank you in advance for helping me with this. I used to scratch my head at all the tube rolling posts here at Head-Fi, but now I am ready to do it. Any ideas?
Thanks.

May 2, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Search for the "Woo 3 Modified" thread - it has more than you want to know about tube rolling and modifying the Woo 3.

Oh what the heck... here it is:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96731

I prefered the Tungsol / Cetron 7236 or 5998 as the power tube, with the stock JAN Philips 6922's as the signal tubes. But, the GE 6BZ7's sounded almost as good as the stock signal tubes, and I suspect the Russian 6N1P-EB (Voskhod factory) would sound even better in the signal tube positions.

May 2, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Search for the "Woo 3 Modified" thread - it has more than you want to know about tube rolling and modifying the Woo 3.

Oh what the heck... here it is:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96731

I prefered the Tungsol / Cetron 7236 or 5998 as the power tube, with the stock JAN Philips 6922's as the signal tubes. But, the GE 6BZ7's sounded almost as good as the stock signal tubes, and I suspect the Russian 6N1P-EB (Voskhod factory) would sound even better in the signal tube positions.

Thank you, Gradofan. I think I will go with the 7236, as I cannot find any 5998. They are only $45. And I will use the stock signal tubes for now. This is a really great amp. I am enjoying it right now.
I appreciate your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back