Woo Audio 3 for first tube amp?
Feb 12, 2006 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

watchluvr4ever

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking to venture into my first tube amp. From just looking at the construction of the Woo Audio 3, it appears to be a bargain at only $470. Would this be a good entry into tube amps? I prefer to stay under $500, but also have my eye on the Headroom Desktop Millet Hybrid amp at $649. How would these compare to each other, and what has more bang for the buck? I appreciate your time. Thanks.

Feb 12, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 31
Feb 12, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 31
I think the Woo3 is a good entry into the tube world. I bought a used Woo3 and it's my first tube amp. They don't come up too often but you can find used ones for $340-370 range.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of tubes. One of the greatest strengths of tube amps is the ability to roll tubes. If you have a tube amp in mind, think about investigating what tubes sound good for that amp and then look into the cost of buying them.

I don't know much about the Headroom Millet Hybrid but one thing I like is that it comes with several sets of tubes out of the box. You're probaby pretty set with those and don't need to spend extra money on more tubes.

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 31
Have you considered used X-Can V2? The price of used V2 is about $250 and it sounds wonderful with little soldering iron job (cap changes). I have both Woo3 and (2) modified X-Can V2 and I still like the sound of X-Can V2 but Woo3 is gorgeous.
woo3xcanv2.jpg

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 31
Are the tubes that come with the Woo Audio 3 any good? It says the power cord is not included with the amp, where can I find a good power cord?

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
Have you considered used X-Can V2? The price of used V2 is about $250 and it sounds wonderful with little soldering iron job (cap changes). I have both Woo3 and (2) modified X-Can V2 and I still like the sound of X-Can V2 but Woo3 is gorgeous.

What tubes are you running there? looks like a WE 124 power, but i can't really tell...

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 31
The tubes that come with are good not great. if you decide to give them a chance , give them atleast 40 hours+ to break in (imo). My stock tubes seemed to get better at just about the time I received my upgrade tubes.

Even with the stock tubes the amp rocks...you will enjoy the amp. Expect to pay upwards of $80 USD to replace all 3 tubes to atleast make it worth doing.

You can buy a power cord almost anywhere such as a computer store. Any power cord will do unless you care to waste money on a $200 cord
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 31
For less than $500 you can get an used Mapletree Ear Purist + HD (sell for $600 new) or you can it new in a kit form for $500. Another option is an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V3, I just picked on up for $319 delivered. Good luck.

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 31
I am using Western Electric 5998/421A as input tube and two matched Amperex 6922 gold pins for output tubes...for now:wink:

One X-Can V2 is running Electro-Harmonix Russian 6H23/6922 Type 2 and the other X-Can V2 is running Russian Rocket Logo 6H23....for now:wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy
What tubes are you running there? looks like a WE 124 power, but i can't really tell...

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 31
The Woo 3 was/is my first piece of tube gear of any kind. It kicks the crap out of 3 different op amp based headphone amps I have owned. The Woo is the real deal and a bonafided bargain. The toobs that come with it are fine. A tungsol 5998 power tube for $40 is a great upgrade/toob roll and 6922's pre amp tubes (Groove tube $20/pr.) are recommended but the tubes that come with sound great. The Tungsol 5998 gives more bass and just looks too cool. Power cord w/IEC plug on one end are at Rat Shack, Allied, Grainger, etc. $5 to $20. Luv my Woo!

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 31
I have the Woo3 also and love it very much.

The nice thing with the tube is, that you can "dial in" the sound you prefer by changing tubes.

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 31
A little off topic but which amp would sound better straight out of the box, the Woo Audio 3 or the HeadRoom Micro Amp with the desktop module? I have decided that I'm not really ready to venture into the price range of the HeadRoom Millet Hybrid amp. My wife says I have been spending too much money lately. Just in the past week I have purchased Senn 595's and Grado SR-325's. She's showing teeth when I talk about getting an amp now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 31
Sorry, don't mean to threadjack but I am in a similar position to the OP...

I am trying to decide between a Mapletree HD Ear+ or Woo Audio 3 for using it with everything from Grados to Beyers. Ideally, I would NOT be upgrading for a VERY long time after this....

Which amp would provide greater clarity, soundstage and speed, esp. for large orchestras?

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 31
I had Woo3, sold it, missed it too much, and went and bought another. Hard to explain what is so captivating, but it gets things "right" from a musical, rather than electronic, perspective. It is not as fast as some amps, but neither is live music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back