Woo Audio 2 vs. Zana Deux?
Feb 20, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #31 of 88
The luxman p-1 does indeed sound like an enticing option, as I'm not really all that much a fan of dealing with tubes. I'd hate to spend thousands of dollars on something only to find that I can't use it due to the tube stock having ran out. But for now, I think I'll stick with the Zana unless I hear some extraordinary things about the Luxman.

I've went all over the place on what I wanted to get. At one point it was the B-52, and then it was the 307a Millett until I sat back and thought of the kind of crater a $5.000 to $6,000 amp would leave on my bank account. The Balancing Act was next at $4,000 (price I'm assuming it will sell at in two years). That sounded more reasonable but it still seemed like a bit too much, especially considering I'd have to rewire different headphones and buy a balanced interconnect.

For right now it's looking like:
Zana Deux Set-up
1) Zana Deux ($2,500). Date of purchase: Late 2010 to 2011.
2) Sennheiser HD800 ($1,400). Date of purchase: 2012.
3) High Quality DAC ($2,000). Date of purchase: 2014.
Total: $5,900

5 year time schedule:
per year: $1180
per month: $98.88
per two-weeks: $49.16
per day: $3.23

Balancing Act Set-up
1) Balancing Act ($4,000).
2) Sennheiser HD800 ($1,400).
3) High Quality DAC ($2,000).
4) Conservative Recabling Fee ($500).
Total: $7,900

5 year time schedule
per year: $1580
per month: $131.67
per two-weeks: $65.83
per day: $4.32

Millett 307A Set-up
1) Millett 307A ($6,000).
Total: $9,900

5 year time schedule
per year: $1980
per month: $165
per two-weeks: $82.50
per day: $5.42

What you could get with the savings:
$2,000 Savings
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A7...108717&sr=1-18

$4000 Savings =
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XHTTW0

Interesting lol.

So if you can manage to save $4.32 a day for 5 years, you can get a high quality balanced set-up. Around $3.23 for the single-ended portion.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #32 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The luxman p-1 does indeed sound like an enticing option, as I'm not really all that much a fan of dealing with tubes. I'd hate to spend thousands of dollars on something only to find that I can't use it due to the tube stock having ran out. But for now, I think I'll stick with the Zana unless I hear some extraordinary things about the Luxman.

I've went all over the place on what I wanted to get. At one point it was the B-52, and then it was the 307a Millett until I sat back and thought of the kind of crater a $5.000 to $6,000 amp would leave on my bank account. The Balancing Act was next at $4,000 (price I'm assuming it will sell at in two years). That sounded more reasonable but it still seemed like a bit too much, especially considering I'd have to rewire different headphones and buy a balanced interconnect.

For right now it's looking like:
Zana Deux Set-up
1) Zana Deux ($2,500). Date of purchase: Late 2010 to 2011.
2) Sennheiser HD800 ($1,400). Date of purchase: 2012.
3) High Quality DAC ($2,000). Date of purchase: 2014.
Total: $5,900

5 year time schedule:
per year: $1180
per month: $98.88
per two-weeks: $49.16

Giving myself 5 years to purchase my set-up, this certainly doesn't seem out of the realm of saving.

Other possible systems:
Balancing Act Set-up
1) Balancing Act ($4,000).
Total: $7,900

5 year time schedule
per year: $1580
per month: $131.67
per two-weeks: $65.83

Boy i don't know if i should admire that schedule or pity it.
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #34 of 88
Had to put these accounting studies to use somehow lol. Took about 15 to 20 minutes to develop the whole schedule. I'll put it in spreadsheet format soon for audiophiles who absolutely must know where their money is going.

I'm going to need a bit of help. I'll need someone to find me the names and prices of some high quality DACs/sources that should match with the set-up around the $2,000 range.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #35 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the information. I will do some research on the Luxman P-1. As much as I love tubes, I am not entirely convinced that tubes would be the way to go with the HD800. I am also not entirely convinced of the HD800, for that matter, since it has yet to be released. The Zana Deux is just so enticing however. In any case, this reference grade headphone system is adding up in $$$. Now I will need a reference grade DAC. I thought I would be squeaking by with just the iPod, Wadia, Zana, and HD800. I forgot about adding a DAC in the chain. Doh!

The Zana's price is a big turn off for me personally, once you get that high then you may as well start looking at the more powerful WA5 LE. Not to mention at 2k'ish you can comission someone to build you a damn nice balanced B22 amp. The P-1 and cheaper Woo options are more realistic for someone with a non disposable income looking for a prebuilt, especially the P-1 if currency exchange rates can get under control again (it launched back in 2003 at ~$1350 imported and now sells for ~$1600
rolleyes.gif
).

I completely agree with what has been said about the DAC though. You can get a cheap one or even skip it for now, but its benefits should not be overlooked and would be absolutely required at some point.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #36 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zana's price is a big turn off for me personally, once you get that high then you may as well start looking at the more powerful WA5 LE. Not to mention at 2k'ish you can comission someone to build you a damn nice balanced B22 amp. The P-1 and cheaper Woo options are more realistic for someone looking for a prebuilt, especially the P-1 if currency exchange rates can get under control again (it launched back in 2003 at ~$1350 imported and now sells for ~$1600
rolleyes.gif
).

I know that my response is ridiculous but here it goes: ...but the Luxman P-1 is not nearly as romantic as the Zana Deux.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #37 of 88
Are there any comparisons out there between the WA5 LE and the Zana? I know the Woo is $3450 stock, and with the parts upgrade, you can just swing for a Balancing Act. I'm interested in knowing the sound differences between the two.

The Luxman doesn't seem like a bad option at all. I think it was Jude who has it and said it sounded great with the HD800. The Luxman's advantage to me is that it is solid state, meaning I don't have to worry about fiddling around with tubes or worry about dwindling tube supply. I'm just interested in seeing how it compares to a Zana in sound.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #38 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that my response is ridiculous but here it goes: ...but the Luxman P-1 is not nearly as romantic as the Zana Deux.

Visually i'll always have a thing for tube amps but the Luxman has a beauty to it as well. In terms of audio quality, well how many people have heard both enough to comment? And like i said, the Zana is not the end all be all in the 2k range, there are other options to consder.

Quote:

Are there any comparisons out there between the WA5 LE and the Zana? I know the Woo is $3450 stock, and with the parts upgrade, you can just swing for a Balancing Act. I'm interested in knowing the sound differences between the two.

The Luxman doesn't seem like a bad option at all. I think it was Jude who has it and said it sounded great with the HD800. The Luxman's advantage to me is that it is solid state, meaning I don't have to worry about fiddling around with tubes or worry about dwindling tube supply. I'm just interested in seeing how it compares to a Zana in sound.

The WA5 LE is 2400 stock, its 3450 if you want the native K1000 output and speaker options, which if you're using it strictly for headphones you wont care about. The "upgrades" are a bit overrated in my opinion. Stock all woo amps sound great. Upgrades will get you that last 5% so to speak. You dont have to upgrade in a package either, you can choose the specific components that you feel matter most.

And Jude swears by the P-1, i believe its his go-to amp. I know the P-1 has also attracted the attention of a number of people who have tried it into considering a purchase.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #39 of 88
Quote:

Had to put these accounting studies to use somehow lol. Took about 15 to 20 minutes to develop the whole schedule. I'll put it in spreadsheet format soon for audiophiles who absolutely must know where their money is going.

Oh i am way too compulsive for that, actually you have commendable self control and planning thus my comment that maybe i should envy you-which is how it started out. The pity part wasn't about the money but about having to analyze it so much and work it all out in your head. Not a criticism just imagining doing it myself and that lead me to pity or empathy is more like it maybe.
regular_smile .gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #40 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zana's price is a big turn off for me personally, once you get that high then you may as well start looking at the more powerful WA5 LE. Not to mention at 2k'ish you can comission someone to build you a damn nice balanced B22 amp. The P-1 and cheaper Woo options are more realistic for someone with a non disposable income looking for a prebuilt, especially the P-1 if currency exchange rates can get under control again (it launched back in 2003 at ~$1350 imported and now sells for ~$1600
rolleyes.gif
).

The ~$1600 is for the imported version which comes in Japanese voltage. According to the Luxman US distributor, it comes with a crappy voltage transformer for conversion to US voltage, which obviously degrades the SQ. Not to mention warranty repairs will require shipping back to Japan. The US version only became available recently and retails for $2400.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #41 of 88
Aesthetically speaking, the Luxman is probably the most beautiful amp I've seen. The only thing that I'm somewhat turned off by is reports of a slightly slower, more romantic sound. I also have to consider the Sennheiser synergy. The fact that I don't have to deal with tubes is a big plus though.

LuxmanP-15of7.jpg

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #42 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh i am way too compulsive for that, actually you have commendable self control and planning thus my comment that maybe i should envy you-which is how it started out. The pity part wasn't about the money but about having to analyze it so much and work it all out in your head. Not a criticism just imagining doing it myself and that lead me to pity or empathy is more like it maybe.
regular_smile .gif

lol definitely no offense taken. My current spending habits are quite compulsive, which is why I just decided to develop a schedule. I'm sort of like, if I want it, I'll buy it and let things settle as they may. I just figure developing a schedule will keep me more on track and help me avoid wasting money frivolously.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

I also have to consider the Sennheiser synergy.

Like i said, Jude loves the P-1 and i believe he primarily uses Senn cans with it, including the HD800. Thats the combination his glowing impressions are based on. There should be no question that its a nice combination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ~$1600 is for the imported version which comes in Japanese voltage. According to the Luxman US distributor, it comes with a crappy voltage transformer for conversion to US voltage, which obviously degrades the SQ. Not to mention warranty repairs will require shipping back to Japan. The US version only became available recently and retails for $2400.

Luckily voltage transformers can be replaced. And for what use to be a $1000 difference in price [now $800], i'd chance the warranty issues personally. I can round trip the amp at least 5 times to Japan with express shipping for the price difference between the two. Not sure why the US version is so much more money but it sucks.

Speaking of the P-1, there is also the up and coming P-200.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #44 of 88
$5000 bank loan
$?? per month
Get it now.
If the debt makes you sad, at least you'll have the whole setup vs. periodically crippling your finances with a $2000 component getting added in.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #45 of 88
Quote:

lol definitely no offense taken. My current spending habits are quite compulsive, which is why I just decided to develop a schedule. I'm sort of like, if I want it, I'll buy it and let things settle as they may. I just figure developing a schedule will keep me more on track and help me avoid wasting money frivolously.

Spending on a reference rig is not wasting money frivolously.
wink.gif
But definitely great self-discipline on your part! Heh if I were you, I'll probably just get it now (or at least the amp) and use that spreadsheet as a schedule for paying back your credit card debt. Might cost you more in the long run but at least you get to enjoy it longer. Instant gratification! Plus if things don't work out, I'm sure you can easily sell it off with minimal loss.

But of course, I'm not suggesting you do that.

Edit: Ah scootermafia had the same idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back