Woo Audio 2 pre-amp question
Apr 16, 2010 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking at the Woo Audio 2 preamp. The inputs will be a CD player and my computer's Asus Essence STX sound card. The outputs will be a Denon D5000 headphone and AudioEngine A2 powered speaker/monitors.

So some questions:

1. If I plug my headphones into the WA2, will that mute the RCA outputs going to the speakers?

2. How does the WA2 sound with powered speakers such as the AudioEngine units?

3. Does the WA2 have any humming noise?

4. Are any of the WA2 upgrades worthwhile? Premium parts upgrade? Stepped attenuator?

5. What is a stepped attenuator, anyways? Is that the volume knob?

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Please see my comments below your questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking at the Woo Audio 2 preamp. The inputs will be a CD player and my computer's Asus Essence STX sound card. The outputs will be a Denon D5000 headphone and AudioEngine A2 powered speaker/monitors.

So some questions:

1. If I plug my headphones into the WA2, will that mute the RCA outputs going to the speakers?
J: Headphone and RCA pre-amp output are always active. You may need to remove the headphone when you use the speakers.
2. How does the WA2 sound with powered speakers such as the AudioEngine units?
J: It is compatible with this active monitors.

3. Does the WA2 have any humming noise?
J: All amplifiers have humming noise but the WA2 noise level is very low. You may hear a faint hum at max volume with high sensitive headphones. The STX soundcard is very low noise and it is a good news to the amp.

4. Are any of the WA2 upgrades worthwhile? Premium parts upgrade? Stepped attenuator?
J: Certainly, these upgrades benefit sound quality in different degree. The Black Gate caps abd stepped attenuator upgrades are a one-time installation while tubes can be changed any time.

5. What is a stepped attenuator, anyways? Is that the volume knob?
J: It is another name for volume control. The stock attenuator uses a Alps volume control as the upgrade uses a DACT stepped.

If you have any other question, feel free to send us a email.

Kind regards,
Jack

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 6
Wow, that was quick Jack.

I have used my WA2 as a preamp so I will add my responses as well.

1. As Jack has said, both are active, I always disconnect my headphones if listening to the WA2 as a preamp.

2. You can use the any active monitors like the audioengines, or more traditionally before a power/intergrated amp. I've never tried the WA2 with my a5s but I think they would match nicely. I have found that the WA2 impacts the sonic signature when its added to the component chain. In this way, I think some of the "tube sweetness" of the WA2 will help bring to life what I believe is a rather "cold, dry" speaker.

3. The noise floor of the WA2 is very very low, even with my high sensitivity, low impedance phones. There may be a very low level hum, but its inaudible once music comes through.

4. My WA2 is fully upgraded, so I cant really compare it with or without premium parts, I will say this however, the tube upgrade is a definate improvement in sound. In comparison, the stock tubes are very congested in the midrange, and are very warm, sound stage is also smaller.

4/5. The stepped attenuator is a different type of volume pot, it is meant to ensure the consistency of sound and volume, when turning the volume up or down. How much of a difference it actually makes I cant really say. If you are using it primarily as a preamp on an amp or active speakers that do NOT have their own volume control, you may find that 24 steps are not enough to fine tune your volume.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, Jack and Henerenry, for the information.

Regarding the muting of the headphone and RCA output: What I really want is to have the RCA output muted when the headphones are plugged in. The volume and power control for my powered speakers are behind the speakers, so it is not so easy to turn them off. In general, don't most pre-amps / receivers mute the RCAs when headphones are inserted?

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Cary headphone/integrated amp's come with a toggle switch between headphone and preamp.

Jack, can WA update WA2 design for a switch or automatically switch to work as a TRUE Preamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back