Woo 6 SE a new two chassis offering
Apr 30, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #16 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it puts out about 1 watt. It does use the pseudo dual power supply for the tubes.

I like the new headphone stands as well.

i suppose it would require 2 separate rectifers and power transformers to go full "dual" ps...
but the use of inductors is really intriguing as i've never heard one using it...

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #17 of 98
I have used inductors in power supplies for years. They give you a stiffer B+. The ripple on the rectified current, which is ac, is further reduced by an inductor because a field is produced by an inductor that opposes the alternating current and this further produces a better DC. The inductor also acts like storage for energy, not like a capacitor, but as the draw of current is increased the field around the inductor starts to collapse and maintains a current. This is almost instantaneous and can only act for a very short period of time but long enough to give a very good source of current supply, which gives excellent transient response. The pseudo dual power supply, though it doesn't have an inductor in the single chassis 6, also provides a much better B+ for the power tubes, very low interference with the current draw of each power tube section and therefore much better transient and bass response and transparency. The supply in the SE with inductors would only add to this. I would imagine with correct implementation the SE with its 1 watt output and afore mentioned attributes should set very high standards but I also think the 6 with the modifications I have mentioned will be up there also.

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #18 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is this power supply mod? I've been gone from the headamp site for a longtime. So much has changed!
biggrin.gif

See here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mod...oo-6-a-299795/

May 2, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #21 of 98
I am curious if Woo is interested in introducing an EL84 headamp.

May 2, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #22 of 98
DC coupled transformer output amp with inductor loaded PS in an external chassis? All for $950? Damn sounds like a pretty decent bargain to me. I would be curious to the quality of the output transformers. The removal of the coupling caps in a transformer coupled is HUGE, the sound will be more direct, focused, and the hi end should open up nicely. 1 watt transformer coupled amp should sound stellar with grados.

May 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #23 of 98
I built a preamp that was direct coupled and it was fine. I have built both ways and enjoy both, depending upon the cap when used. But have the 6DE7 direct coupled is a very nice step. The output transformers are supposed to be new ones to their specs so they should be good.

May 3, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #25 of 98
They haven't decided yet as the upgrades have not been decided at this time at least was the information I got a few days ago.

May 7, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #28 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgrades are $450 and optional and DACT CT2 stepped attenuator will set you back another $200.

i have such fond memories of my Woo3 especially as a price/performance leader. the new 6 is tempting but at $1000+ its difficult to justify. i hope some Headfiers take the plunge and do a comparo.

May 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #29 of 98
The Woo 3 is a nice amp but after my Modifications to the 6 there isn't too much resemblance. It really is a different level of performance. I know the topology of the SE and the tubes used and from that and what I hear with my 6 I can pretty much gage what the step will be.

May 8, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #30 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Woo 3 is a nice amp but after my Modifications to the 6 there isn't too much resemblance. It really is a different level of performance. I know the topology of the SE and the tubes used and from that and what I hear with my 6 I can pretty much gage what the step will be.

Will the W6 SE be a big step up from your modifed W6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back