WOO 6 Grado RS-1i Tube Rolling
May 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Scooterboy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am interested in doing some tube rolling with my Woo 6. Presently I have the Sophia Princess 274b rectifier tube and would like to roll the 6DE7 driver power tubes. I primarily use a Grado RS-1i and listen mostly to classical music.

Any recomendations?

May 4, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooterboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I am interested in doing some tube rolling with my Woo 6. Presently I have the Sophia Princess 274b rectifier tube and would like to roll the 6DE7 driver power tubes. I primarily use a Grado RS-1i and listen mostly to classical music.

Any recomendations?

I really like the RCA 6FD7s, Sylvania 6FD7s, Amperex 6CY7s, Amperex 6DE7s, and Tung Sol 6DE7s. In about that order of preference - though they're all great.

The 6FD7s and 6CY7s have a bit more gain, a pretty open and airy soundstage, as well as good bass and mids with impact, while the 6DE7s have a bit less gain, and maybe a bit smaller soundstage, but also with great bass and mids. I suspect you'd prefer the 6FD7s for classical, since they seem to have a bit larger soundstage.

Also... if you think the RS-1s have a bit harsh highs sometimes, or small soundstage, you can wrap 1/2 in. tape around the outside edge of the pads (the "tape mod"), which seems to improve both aspects of their sound.

May 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 6
.....I just ordered a set of Sylvania 6FD7s and will give those a try.
beyersmile.png

Also, I have not found the Grados harsh on the mids or highs and the soundstage is very good. It is not blouted like my AKG 701s which to me presented a stage that was too wide.

May 4, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 6
I think you'll like those tubes - lots of resolution, detail, air, and soundstage, yet with good PRAT, and a bit of punch.

The WA6 and WA6 SE seem to do well with Grados - without harsh highs most of the time. And... once burnt in seem to present a pretty good soundstage with good resolution, especially with the 6FD7s.

By the way... if you want to "save" your Sophia Princess, by using it less... you'll find the Sylvania and RCA 5U4G ST (coke bottle) rectifiers are very close to the sound of the Sophia Princess... and... relatively inexpensive at about $15-20. These complement the 6FD7s very well. Of course, I suspect the Tung-Sol 5U4G ST rectifiers would also - but, they're hard to find at a good price (i.e. < $30+).

May 5, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Gradofan2, which brand do you prefer for 6FD7? I have GE and RCA now. probably will get Sylvania soon.

I think I prefer the RCA 6FD7s to the Sylvania 6FD7s - though, there isn't much difference. The RCAs may have just a bit richer mids, the Sylvanias may have a bit more open and airy sound. Hard to tell.

I've never tried the GEs, but, would expect them to be similar to the Sylvanias, but not much different from either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back