Woo 6 and the princess upgrade
Sep 23, 2009 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Nigel79

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, just ordered a W6 and they are out 3 weeks for build time
frown.gif
I was wondering how peoples experiences where with and without the princess upgrade. I guess I have 3 weeks to think about it
regular_smile .gif
I did get the power supply upgrade. Thanks

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 20
I can only comment on how the Sophia sounds next to my stock GE. Everything just gets bigger, more spacious, but yet more weighty. The 6 is a great amp without the princess, but with it in you can just call it a day.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 20
If you have the money get it. You will eventually. As the previous poster stated it is fine without it. But if you are already wondering about it you are more than likely to be more at peace after you have tried it. I think it is worth it for sure.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 20
After hearing a few people complaining their Sophia failed after only a couple of months, I'd pass on getting one

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After hearing a few people complaining their Sophia failed after only a couple of months, I'd pass on getting one

This maybe a dumb question but there is no warranty from woo on the princess? Or tubes for that matter? This is my first tube amp.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This maybe a dumb question but there is no warranty from woo on the princess? Or tubes for that matter? This is my first tube amp.

It comes with a 30 day warranty. Pretty lame for an expensive tube if you ask me

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 20
Once I get my amp, I was planning on buying the Sophia but then I read about the EML 5U4G... needless to say I've changed my mind
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once I get my amp, I was planning on buying the Sophia but then I read about the EML 5U4G... needless to say I've changed my mind
biggrin.gif

The EML looks like a much better built tube. Plus, if I'm not mistaken
confused_face_2.gif
, comes with a 1 year warranty.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

biggrin.gif

As did I. Its even prettier, sounds just as good, and is warranted for a year. Although its also more expensive.

I do like the effect it's had on the treble though.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 20
Yep, I like the fact that it's a woven mesh rather than just stamped like the Sophia.

This past weekend I was at the MIT swapfest and there were tubes upon tubes (it's like a head-fi'ers heaven), some looked incredibly nice but sadly I just got into tubes so I wasn't sure what I could buy for the amp I have on the way.
mad.gif

I did see one huge tube that had like a radioactivity warning printed on it... should have bought it anyways
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

I did see one huge tube that had like a radioactivity warning printed on it... should have bought it anyways
tongue_smile.gif

Good thing you didn't buy it. I was exposed to one of those as a child. Could be the reason I grew another head
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just an excuse to buy a second pair of headphones
biggrin.gif

Busted!
wink_face.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 20
As much as I like the Sophia, I don't think I'll be buying any more in light of all the recent early failures. Time to try out some of the cheaper alternatives...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back