Woo 5, Woo 22, Zana Deux, ZDT, DNA Sonnett opinions...
Feb 11, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really want to man up, get a Spectral DAC.

x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More like $2000-3000.

other than Icarium's, I've seen them go for 2500-2700

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #21 of 36
I really like the Woo amps. I have a WA6SE now and just ordered a WA5 LE for my HD-800. I also tried a RSA B-52 but in my case I like the build quality and sound signature of the Woo better.

I use a Oppo BD-83SE Nuforce edition as my source player via interconnects. I like the speed and neutrality of the sound. My Oppo uses 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels. It will play most any format and also it will stream, however that feature is still in the Beta stage.

ss

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 36
You may want check if you've milked all the performance out of your existing system. Before pouring a load of cash on new components, may want to try things like vibration isolation & power conditioner on the amp and esp the DAC may make fairly significant impact on soundstaging, bass and midband refinement.

Trying cables and powercords may open a can of worms but no harm experimenting a little.

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 36
Yeah, that is the one area I haven't invested in at all is the power conditioner and power cables. I've always been a little sceptical but I've heard that a power conditioner can make a good amount of difference. Power cables can be carried onto future components anyhow.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard either the DLIII or the WA6 SE but it would appear that you are at the point where it may make sense to invest into a really good source before investing into an amp. Every amp is only as good as the source that feeds it - while I'm sure the DLIII isn't bad, I'm also just as sure that it can be improved upon. If the DLIII is the only source you've heard with the WA6 SE, how do you know the amp can't achieve a "holographic and 3 dimensional sound with better PRAT" with another source? It's possible the WA6 SE is capable of delivering even more that you haven't heard yet. As far as possible sources, I can't think of any as I have very limited experience with USB DACs, but plenty of info can be found here on HF and at other forums.

It can also take a lot more money than what you've already invested into your setup to achieve a noticeable extra degree of sound quality - as in, thousands of dollars potentially combined with amp and/or source. If you're not prepared for that, why not just enjoy your music with what you currently have?

I also find it curious the only amps under your consideration are all tube-based ones. Why not solid-state?

For the record I actually have heard all the amps mentioned but there's no way I'm going to comment on anything because almost every session was in meet conditions.

I understand about the "meet conditions" not being optimal. I should note that if you tried my ZDT, GES or WA6 at the July 09 meet or at RMAF, then you also heard the DLIII.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everybody for all your feedback! Definately helps me with which direction to take. As of this morning I order a pair of HD800 through amazon and should receive them tomorrow. Hopefully they will have good synergy with my WA6SE since they aren't as power hungry as my HE-5. I am very accustomed to the Senheiser sound but I head that HD800s are very different from HD650, so we will see.

As for my DAC, the thing is that I JUST bought it about 3 weeks ago as an upgrade from my Apogee Duet. I was debating between the DLIII and the Bel Canto Dac3 and heard better things about the modded DLIII. I have seen quite an improvement over the Duet and I like the fact that it is on the warmer side vs. the more sterile analytical sound of a Dac1. Do you have any DACs in mind that would be more suitable and well recommended?

Now I don't want to get into the debate about balanced vs. unbalanced but do you really feel like there would be a significant change in the clarity and soundscape of a balanced amp vs my WA6SE?

The DLIII is on a similar level as the Stello DA100 and in 96K up-sampling mode actually sounds similar too, although it is a little crisper and spacious sounding when set for 192K but not as analog sounding that way. I think it is a nice sounding mid-fi DAC when compared to other DACs in the $700-1500 price range. I think the DLIII is an upgrade over the Duet but not a major upgrade, while something like the ECD-1 was a more noticeable upgrade to me. However, I've decide not to sell my DLIII and instead I will get it modded by Cullen Circuits for now. I'll send it in after I get my tax refund and pay for some dental work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cullen modded DLIII should be PLENTY good for your needs. Just make sure not to feed it via USB, which sounds MUCH, MUCH worse than its spdif inputs.

In my case, I find the USB to sound quite good actually, when used with a Macbook Pro. I've compared it to optical on several occasions and it holds up well. Maybe on a PC with all the goofy USB stuff going on in the OS it wasn't as good, I don't know.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want check if you've milked all the performance out of your existing system. Before pouring a load of cash on new components, may want to try things like vibration isolation & power conditioner on the amp and esp the DAC may make fairly significant impact on soundstaging, bass and midband refinement.

Trying cables and powercords may open a can of worms but no harm experimenting a little.

Yes I would also agree.

For power cords I use BS violet Z1 on both my WA6SE and my Oppo and a
Iron Lung Jellyfish power cord for my power conditioner.

I have Isonode large on my Woo and Oppo, but never thought to put them on my PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner. Last night I did put them on the bottom of the feet, and wow there is a difference. Stronger bass, I am still trying to figure out the rest. So tonight I took off the feet and put the large Isonode on my PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner, and that should give me a better idea after tonight.

Placement is important of the Isonode. Last night my audio went back to normal after removing the feet and putting the Isonode back on. Tonight I repositioned the large Isonode. The bass isn't as strong as with the feet and the Isonode and that's a good thing because I am also getting a better soundstage. So now I am hearing about 10% better bass and about 6% better soundstage. I should add that my rack has glass shelves.

ss

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 36
Ok, so I wanted to update everybody on the situation. Because I think I still have a lot of potential in my PS Audio DLIII (Stage IV Cullen), I decided to upgrade the amp and headphones. I just bought a set of HD800 cans and find them absolutely fascinating. Also just ordered a WA 5 with premium parts upgrade. I'm having a hard time swallowing the price of the amp but I feel that I wouldn't really need anything more than that down the line. It also doubles as a wonderful 300B amp for high efficiency speakers, which could be a very nice thing to have.

Do you think the premium parts upgrade would be worth it? The v-caps, blackgates, and jensen caps all look mighty fine and top-notch! What about the improvement in teflon caps?

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #30 of 36
Yeah I guess that if you spend that much, might as well go all the way. Plus I see this as a long run amp! I was so happy with my WA6SE, that the only other amp that I could think of replacing it was the WA5. Just the thought of having 2x40lb steel cases with glowing 300b tubes sounds wonderful. For me the LE feels like a little overkill, but if I can drive high efficiency speakers from it too, then the price is more justified. Supposedly these bad boys (Rethm Saadhana) pair up pretty nicely with it:
5_4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back