Woo 5, Woo 22, Zana Deux, ZDT, DNA Sonnett opinions...
Feb 19, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DLIII is on a similar level as the Stello DA100 and in 96K up-sampling mode actually sounds similar too, although it is a little crisper and spacious sounding when set for 192K but not as analog sounding that way. I think it is a nice sounding mid-fi DAC when compared to other DACs in the $700-1500 price range. I think the DLIII is an upgrade over the Duet but not a major upgrade, while something like the ECD-1 was a more noticeable upgrade to me.

The digital part of a DAC is important but the analog output portion will ultimately make or break the sound quality.

I listen mostly to recordings of vocals or acoustic instruments, and discrete output tend to have an edge in realism over opamp; esp high to mid range portion.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that is the one area I haven't invested in at all is the power conditioner and power cables. I've always been a little sceptical but I've heard that a power conditioner can make a good amount of difference. Power cables can be carried onto future components anyhow.

May want to start with lower cost or used cables and get a feel before venturing further. Anyway, cheaper does not necessarily equate to inferior when it comes to cables.

Beware that powercords may bring you a bundle of pro & cons, so don't jump in with good money until you can get a trial.

Two of the safer bets that are a clear jump in quality or can be inoffensive at worst in some systems are Anti-IC with bullet plug (Interconnect) and lower end Oyaide connectors Acrolink cables (Powercord).

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I would also agree.

For power cords I use BS violet Z1 on both my WA6SE and my Oppo and a
Iron Lung Jellyfish power cord for my power conditioner.

I have Isonode large on my Woo and Oppo, but never thought to put them on my PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner. Last night I did put them on the bottom of the feet, and wow there is a difference. Stronger bass, I am still trying to figure out the rest. So tonight I took off the feet and put the large Isonode on my PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner, and that should give me a better idea after tonight.

Placement is important of the Isonode. Last night my audio went back to normal after removing the feet and putting the Isonode back on. Tonight I repositioned the large Isonode. The bass isn't as strong as with the feet and the Isonode and that's a good thing because I am also getting a better soundstage. So now I am hearing about 10% better bass and about 6% better soundstage. I should add that my rack has glass shelves.

ss

Glass shelves tend to bring a touch of "hardness" to the treble region; esp if the system tends toward the colder side of neutral or use metal cones on it.

I used to have one and ended up with an extra layer of butcher's block between it and the components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back