Woo 3 Tube changing
Apr 22, 2005 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rendell

New Head-Fier
I have a Woo 3 tube amp with Senn HD650 -- is there a tube(s) that will increase the highs... I know this is not the Senn'S strong and was hoping to improve the sound.

Apr 23, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 3
I've been looking to put some new tubes for mine as well as I've the same phones as yourself but as I've only got about 30-40 hours on it I'll wait I little longer as its meant to open up a lot more. Cchecking through a few threads here are some tubes they've used , see snipets below. Theres a great thread called "woo modified" which will give you tons of info on what could potentially be done if you're into modding your unit. However this is way over my head, so I'd be keen to learn any simple mods for novices on this front.

Personally I'm not having many issues with high and others have noted trying to extend the bass, but these might point you in the right direction

1) heavy duty 6080WB manufactured for Bendix (it is unlike any RCA's I have seen and is labeled Bendix) and two 6DJ8 Holland PQ driver tubes

2) 5998 tubes (just drop in). These are a little beefer and enhance the sound.

3) Using my NOS 6922's and 5998 output tubes steps everything up a notch but I could be very happy with the stock tubes.

4) RCA 6as7g's coming and I am searching for an affordable 421a hoping to beef the bass up a bit

5) I put in a 7236 and for those who wanted more bass, this is the way to go. The amp goes deeper and the bass is taught and solid. I am also using some 6BZ7 tubes for the drivers

hope this helps

Apr 23, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee
I've been looking to put some new tubes for mine as well as I've the same phones as yourself but as I've only got about 30-40 hours on it I'll wait I little longer as its meant to open up a lot more. Cchecking through a few threads here are some tubes they've used , see snipets below. Theres a great thread called "woo modified" which will give you tons of info on what could potentially be done if you're into modding your unit. However this is way over my head, so I'd be keen to learn any simple mods for novices on this front.

Personally I'm not having many issues with high and others have noted trying to extend the bass, but these might point you in the right direction

1) heavy duty 6080WB manufactured for Bendix (it is unlike any RCA's I have seen and is labeled Bendix) and two 6DJ8 Holland PQ driver tubes

2) 5998 tubes (just drop in). These are a little beefer and enhance the sound.

3) Using my NOS 6922's and 5998 output tubes steps everything up a notch but I could be very happy with the stock tubes.

4) RCA 6as7g's coming and I am searching for an affordable 421a hoping to beef the bass up a bit

5) I put in a 7236 and for those who wanted more bass, this is the way to go. The amp goes deeper and the bass is taught and solid. I am also using some 6BZ7 tubes for the drivers

hope this helps

Good post - very informative. I'm currently waiting for a couple of pairs of NOS 6DJ8's to arrive, and until they do I've been spending some time with the stock Philips 6922's along with a Tung Sol 5998. The Philips were glarey at first, and then as the amp and tubes burned in they calmed down and started sounding very nice. But now as the tubes and amp have burned in some more I'm finding that the Philips are getting rather dull sounding and they're lacking in life and livliness. So, hopefully the nice mailman will be bringing me my tubes real soon.
I'm also thinking of splurging and maybe going for a pair of the Amperex PQ's - do you find the Amperex's you're using to offer a major improvement in the sound of your Woo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back