woo 3+ good for grado too?
Jun 10, 2009 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
I am looking at the woo 3+ for my senns, is it versatile enough that it would be good for my grado gs1000 as well? Isn't the 3+ modified to be good for phones like Grado's and it's just the woo 3 that isn't that good with them? Source is FLAC ipod and vinyl

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 6
Yeah, I seem to have this very question as well. However, I was asking about it for the Woo Audio 3 instead of the 3+. I'm not really sure as I haven't really done much research in the department, but what's the difference really between the two models: 3 and 3+ ?

Also, just curious, but your ipod plays FLAC? did you modify it into a rockbox or something? I never modified my ipod, so it's still stock as is. My ipod is relatively old though. Will the old ipod minis with the non-color screen, etc. be able to turn into a rockbox? Most people I seem to see that converted theirs has a much newer ipod.

By any chance though, do you know whether the WooAudio 3 or 3+ is good for lower impedance cans such as the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and Ultrasone Pro 900? Since if you're saying the 3+ was modified to be good with the Grado's and Grados are all low impedance cans themselves.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by trigg3rhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I seem to have this very question as well. However, I was asking about it for the Woo Audio 3 instead of the 3+. I'm not really sure as I haven't really done much research in the department, but what's the difference really between the two models: 3 and 3+ ?

Also, just curious, but your ipod plays FLAC? did you modify it into a rockbox or something? I never modified my ipod, so it's still stock as is. My ipod is relatively old though. Will the old ipod minis with the non-color screen, etc. be able to turn into a rockbox? Most people I seem to see that converted theirs has a much newer ipod.

By any chance though, do you know whether the WooAudio 3 or 3+ is good for lower impedance cans such as the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and Ultrasone Pro 900? Since if you're saying the 3+ was modified to be good with the Grado's and Grados are all low impedance cans themselves.

Yes I modded my ipod via rockbox so that it plays FLAC, you can find ipod compatibility / software at that link tenzip posted

I ordered the woo 3 + but now I think I should have gotten the 6 because it is only $100 more and has a better capability.

woo 3/3+ Headphones impedance : 30-600 Ohms

woo 6 Headphones impedance : 8-600 Ohms

Honestly, I don't even know what impedance is, it's just numbers to me, but mathematically speaking, woo 3/3+ will comfortably drive:

DT770 (250 ohm)
Senn 650 (300 ohm)

while the lower imp phones fit the advertised range but only barely

ultrasone (40 ohm)
Grado GS1000/RS1 (32 ohm)

but it is probably better to hear for ourselves than just looking at the stats, can always sell and upgrade lter

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 6
If you're wondering what impedance is, you can read up a bit on some simple circuit stuff. You can kind of think of it as resistors/resistance in a sense, but not exactly as simple as that. What resistors do, is that they dissipate power and heat (basically energy). Impedance is a more complex form of that resistance.

This is probably the worst type of explanation in the world. I don't know how to simply sum it up in a compact form of information that will be easily understood. There's like huge books on the subject alone. Well anyways, you probably don't care about my rambling. Anyways, higher impedance means more power is needed to drive the equipment properly and better. A lot of the energy is lost at some point and dissipated, so only a fraction of the original input gets to the end destination. Thus, you need more power so that a larger portion reaches the end (enough to drive what you need or want).

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 6
You really want the 6 for phones below 100 ohm, doesn't hurt... 3 is best for 250/600 beyers and 650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back