Woo 3 first inpressions
Aug 2, 2007 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SirAnthony

New Head-Fier
Hi,
This is my first post here. Hello to everyone from Sacramento Ca!

After some research I decided to buy a Woo. The Woo 6 with all the upgrades sounded really tempting. But I found a used woo3 on Agon so I gave it a shot. I also purchased some senn 650's. Both items arrived about the same time.

The original reason for getting a headphone setup was for those time when I really wanted to turn the music up. I think I'm annoying the neighbors.

When I first plugged in the setup I was a little dissapointed. It sounded like what I remember headphones sound like. Just ok. But I let the headpphones run in a bit. Later it sounded better. The stock Jan Phillips sound suprisingly good. But I tried other tubes of course. I put in some Amperex PQ Holland and the sound got really nice. The strength of the Woo 3 is it's relaxed euphonic presentation. I was listening to the Blackcrows. The music was rocking but the sonics had me relaxed and tilting my head back. If you want to talk about seperation of instruments, depth, detail etc... There is none. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. I think this unit is supposed to be this way. But as a replacement for cranking the stereo on a saturday night, it won't do!

All of the caps are Rubicon (non blackgate). I can't find much information on Rubicon. I was thinking of replacing with blackgate's. But I'm not sure I want to mess with this amp as it does what it does well. Besides I'm not sure if the Woo 3 has the power to have the dynamics etc I like. I tried the Woo 3 as a pre amp on my ARC D76a. It pretty much sounds the same (although better with headphones). Compared to my modified AI Modulus 2d it doesn't come anywhere close as far as detail, dynamics, seperation of instruments in space etc.

So I think I need a better headamp. How does the modded woo6 sound? What other amps would give top notch sound?

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 8
I had the Woo3 with Senns, and pretty much felt the way you do. Others here have more experience with it and may be able to help you with advice on different tubes, etc. I assume other, beefier Woos would be appreciably better. I also suspect that more time and adjustment might make it sound better to you. Good luck.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 8
did you try to replace the stock power tube (the big one on the back)? I remember finding the Woo3 a bit dull at first, but when I replaced the power tube (whatever it was) with a Sylvania 7236 I was very pleased with the extra power and PRaT. I later replaced it with a Tungsol 7236 (even faster, almost SS). These days I use a Mullard 6080 which is a tad slower and less powerful, but better for long listening sessions.

IMO, and not only mine, the Woo6 does not fare any better than the Woo3 with Senns (or any high impedance can). If you want more dynamics (and better imaging) from a Woo amp you have to go up to the Woo2 or to the mighty Woo5.

EDIT: and BTW, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your etc etc
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Ah - you got the Woo I had on hold.
smily_headphones1.gif
Something came up and I couldn't buy it, so I had to back out. Congrats!

I'd agree that some tube rolling is in order.

GAD

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks guys. I will look into those tubes you mentioned. I did get a couple of new tubes today. An RCA 6080 and an older GE 6as7. The RCA did have better prat as they say. But I went to the older GE and like it best overall. It's built slightly different from the latter GE that came with the amp. They sound similar but the older GE sings better. Anyway I decided to plug my old MMF-5 TT with GR 1042 into a modded ASL mini phono I havent used in awhile. Suprisingly this sounds really good through the Woo 2. There is definetly less depth and detail than I'm used to. But it sounds really nice anyway. Right now I'm listening to a Men at Work record I got for .49 cents and it sounds really good.

Well I still need to upgrade the cord on my senns. We will see how things go when I have a few brewskies latter this week.

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, I too purchased a used woo 3 here to match up with my 650's. I found that the best return on a tube change was with the stock 6080 tube. I current have a 5998 and it sounds great. I think what makes this tube rock alot more than the 6080 or 6as7 is the gain. The centron 7236 was very nice until the 5998 went in. I did hear some talk about the we421A although I don't have one yet. Certainly try rolling these in first and then match them with some 6dj8's, 6992's or 7308's. I have enjoyed this little amp. I also enjoy the changes that have taken place with each new tube change.

I found that the siemans (but rca labelled 6922 and 6dj8) tube worked best, better than some of the holland 6dj8. The amperex (holland) 6dj8's are resonably priced and do work very very well with the 5998. I did not care too much for the amperex (usa) 7308 but I think they just might need a greater break in period. Once again, I really think its all about the synergy between the tubes that make this amp sing.

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 8
The WA6 has a switch to accommodate different impedances.

I remember testing the WA3+ at the International Meet, but found specific things a bit off with the sound. Yet the WA5 won me over immediately and had me coming back all day. I bought the WA6 based on Jack's advice and its good value. With stock tubes, it is alluring, smooth, addicting, but not the last word in extension or detail. I expect to try tube swapping and perhaps cap upgrades when I have time.

And, I use HD650 with Cardas cable.

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 8
I would think changing out the coupling cap on the 6, which is nothing to shout about or sing home about. :6), would be advisable for more detail and extension. Just my 2 cents, wait. . . . where are they . . . oh. . . here. . . OO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back