Won a ebay aution for vintage (1975) Sony Amplifier - thoughts?
May 14, 2003 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JF_Aidan_Pryde

New Head-Fier
Here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....category=14973

composite.jpg

I know it's not the high end VFETs but for 90bucks, what the heck.
wink.gif

I honestly don't know much about it, and I haven't owned an amp before. What can I expect? How does it weigh against today's amps? Do you like it?
biggrin.gif

BTW, the setup (my first) is going to be like this:
iPod Line out -> TA1066 (this amp) headphone out -> MDR-D66 EGGO.

It's kind of a ridiculous setup. A ultra sleek 2003 source plugs into a 1975 amp and comes out a playful set of portable cans.
biggrin.gif

What are your thoughts?

May 14, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 13
I recently got my hands on a vintage Sony reciever circa 1969, and it sounds pretty good. I don't think it quite sounds $90 good, but that's AU dollars and the one you won is six years older. I don't know how yours will sound, but mine is quite mellow and adds a lot of warmth to the sound. I like it a lot, but I have a feeling that a decent cmoy would outperform it in most areas, unless you're using cans that are really hard to drive.

May 14, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 13
holy crap! i used to have those headphones when i was a kid!! i gave them to my dad who still enjoys them. did your rec come with those cans?
attachment.php

May 15, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 13
I have no experience with this model of Sony, however the description provided by the seller gives good indication that it will be a good headphone amplifier. The fact that it comes with its own dust cover may mean that it is veryclean inside, with very little dust accumulated to get into the pots and switches. Still, it would not hurt to remove the cover and carefully blow out any dust using compressed air from a can.

Radio Shack here in the U.S. sells a cleaner lubricant spray that can help quiet noisy pots and lube switches. A little spray in each control goes a long way to restoring smooth function to these controls.

Direct coupled solid state amplifiers, as this is represented to be, offer superior performance as there are no coupling capacitors between the output stage and the speakers or headphones. The vintage Marantz 22XX series of receivers and 10XX were also direct coupled designs and these sound very good indeed.

May 15, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 13
1975 amp with BLUE LED?!?!?
this thing must had been "the future" of itz time

very nice...let us know how it sound asap!

May 15, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Digital-Monk
It is kinda retro looking. I would be shocked if it out-preformed a meta.

Did you notice what year it was made?
wink.gif

No, it probably won't outperform a meta, but for the price it will be a decent reciever/amp/source switcher.

btw, that's a blue light, not and led.

May 15, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 13
redshifter:
Unfortunatly they don't come with the headphones, but I can always ask.
tongue.gif
How do they sound?

The blue light is custom. The seller did some modifications: replaced the LED/light, some old carbon resistors and a better powersupply. Should be dustless since he cares for these things.

Acutally, how would I be able to connect my speakers to this thing? I have a set of 4.1 Cambridge Soundworks in my room. The 4 satellites are okay but I really can't use the sub can I? So the only solution would be to use some floor standing speakers with decent bass. But then those only reach around 50Hz..

May 15, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 13
Personally, when I listen to music through my Diva 4.1's, I don't use my SVS subwoofer unless I really feel like it.

A lot of people out there prefer 2.0 to 2.1 when listening to music, myself included. Deep, punching bass should be saved for movies only in explosions. Also, too much bass shakes things in my room around, and so every thump is included with half a dozen small shaking noises.

My speakers go to 40Hz I believe (or 50Hz). Even electronica is enjoyable without a subwoofer. Plus, you can always raise the bass meter
wink.gif

May 15, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 13
Some extra info on this amp the seller emailed to me:
Quote:

As you know I own another TA1066. I love it, its so much better than
modern
gear in so many ways. The quality of construction for starters, the way
you
get easy access to everything, the way it looks. Mine has been
modified. I
have changes many of the passive components capacitors and resistors.
The
power supply caps are twice the size. The blue lamp has been changed to
a
blue LED. I haven't had both of them side by side to compare.

Both are totally silent, no hum at all at least with my speakers, the
switches are silent. The volume slider looks a bit strange but it works
well, the balance slider has the center notch.

Sound wise its nicely balanced, no obvious extremes, easy on the ear
and
clean. The headphone section is the same although I must confess I
haven't
listened to it at length.via headphones The case has been well treated
with
a good beeswax and it looks great. Again something modern amps just
cannot
match

I am sure you will see and hear what I mean when you start using it.

May 15, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Did you notice what year it was made?
wink.gif

No, it probably won't outperform a meta, but for the price it will be a decent reciever/amp/source switcher.

btw, that's a blue light, not and led.

Ya I noticed. I was just commenting saying it's a novelty for how it looks, but for a little more you could probably get a much better amp.

May 15, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Radio Shack here in the U.S. sells a cleaner lubricant spray that can help quiet noisy pots and lube switches. A little spray in each control goes a long way to restoring smooth function to these controls.

yeah, it is called "tuner control", and it only worked so-so on a noisy eq i have, but it destroyed my dd9 walkman (i should have known better, but damn! it was a DD-FREAKIN'-9 walkman). anyway, use caution when using it. myself i will never use it again on anything.

re: those old sony cans. it has been about 15 years since i listened to them, but i enjoyed them at the time. of course i had never heard grados, meta42 amps, etc., either, so i was easier to please back then.

May 17, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
holy crap! i used to have those headphones when i was a kid!! i gave them to my dad who still enjoys them. did your rec come with those cans?
attachment.php

Holy crap, I actually have this! The MDR-S30 is what mind is called... but it sounds nasty! It came with my Sony ANK-L2 Walkman Karaoke Player...
biggrin.gif

Hey redshifter, if you don't mind donating the leather case screw to me since your DD9 is "destroyed" hehe cuz mine is all old and I sprayed it awfully with black... lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back