Woman spends 90 minutes dying in hospital waiting room
Jun 3, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 71
What..thats crazy.

"When they approached Rodriguez to ask what was wrong, she responded in a "loud and belligerent voice that her stomach was hurting," the report states. She said she had 10 gallstones and that one of them had burst."

"According to preliminary coroner's findings, the cause was a perforated large bowel, which caused an infection. Experts say the condition can bring about death fairly suddenly."

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 71
It's a horrible tragedy to say the least, that someone can die in an emergency room surrounded by the people most qualified to help her.

About fourteen months ago after going out for my birthday dinner with my mom I started having extreme abdominal pains. Since I had had crab legs for dinner I thought, "bad crabs" and that was it. But several hours later the pain became so excruciating I could not stand on my own for more than a few seconds. At that point my mom decided to take me to the emergency room,
this was at 1:00 am

We get to the emergency room to find less than half a dozen people waiting in front of me, a young girl with a sport-related injury to her foot (soccer or field hockey I guessed), a couple people with the sniffles and a mother with a sick infant.

Now it was 3:00 am

After two hours of waiting I am now writhing in pain, I fall on the floor a few times but am able to pick myself up. My mother goes to the triage nurse several times to ask if someone could "see my son, he's in a lot of pain and I don't know what's wrong". The nurse replied, "no, there are other people before him." The young girl with the sprained foot was called next.

Now it was 5:30 am

Finally being admitted into the emergency room and given a bed I am asked to dress down. Someone comes in to take me for x-rays or ct scans or mri's or whatever; I can barely lay straight on the exam table. The nurse sees me flopping around and immediately orders some pain meds. They do not work.

Now it was 7:30 am

After two more doses of pain meds I am stoned but still in pain. No one can find a doctor to examine the results of my tests from two hours ago. They give me more pain meds.

Now it was 8:30 am

The doctor comes rushing in, showing apparent genuine concern for my condition, "I'll have a look at your charts and we'll see what's what, ok? Hang tight." I hang tight.

Now it was 8:35 am

The doctor rushes back in shouting his graphic translations, a format of order. "Get him down to operating room so and so ".

Turns out that I had developed an acute case of appendicitis earlier the night before, and needed to have the offending organ removed. It was so infected that it could have burst hours prior. In fact, I had overheard them saying how lucky "I" was that it hadn't ruptured in the seven hours it took them to treat me.

I see now how fortunate I am.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 71
I can't believe it. It's no surprise that someone could wait that long with little attention, some hospitals are pretty bad, but considering the instructions from the prior visit and the amount of pain she was clearly in this was truly an awful show of negligence. All of it is surreal that any group could be this bad at the tasks they needed to perform here, and it is amazing that no one except for one person tried to help. Truly a tragedy. Normally I'm not a big advocate of lawsuits, but there's bound to be something that the family should get for this.

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 71
I hear you spacecoyote.

I went to the hospital with a small hole in my leg, ceramic soap dish...
rolleyes.gif

Anyway that was sorted after a few hours, I got stitches and it was all good.

However a guy that was in there, he had been working and he uses a knife. He'd slipped and had a massive cut on his hand right down to the bone. At the hospital they said they couldn't do anything as the night surgeon was on holiday or something, to take some panadeine forte and come back in the morning.
eek.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 71
One of my friends was in a hospital in indo waiting at the front desk, and saw a guy sitting in a chair with his hand chopped off and his hand in a bag plastic bag bleeding all over the place...HE WAS WAITING IN LINE...i do believe that the conditions are not as good in many asian countries, but meh its amazing to hear what happens in emergency rooms.

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 71
I used to take my friend to the emergency room once every month or two when we were in college. He was almost always seen by the triage nurse pretty quickly and typically made it to an exam room within an hour. It probably helps when you "walk" in doubled over in pain, barely able to stand, moaning and groaning loudly.

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #12 of 71
Unfortunately my one experience with the emergency room did not go well either. My wife (at the time girlfried) was having serious abdominal pains with excessive gas late at night. She was literally writhing in pain, and yelling out loud. I brought her to the ER. A couple of people in front of her, total time about one hour to get seen. Don't intend on diminishing the patients infront of us, but my GF was the only one yelling out loud in excrutiating pain and tossing and turning on the floor. My complaints and requests were ignored. 30 minutes in they let her go into a room to lie on a bed. Ultimately, bad case of food poisoning and a slight allergic reaction.

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #13 of 71
Insane!
Here she was laying on the floor of the emergency room for 45 minutes+ and none of the medical people cared to check her out.

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #14 of 71
I only remember going to one hospital and I must say after maybe a few hour wait I was taken care of..honestly I am not complaining maybe cause I understand the hospital gets people in there all the time screaming they need help and probably become somewhat numb to it..probably the case here esp after she was already seen earlier. most likely everyone could of thought she was acting it or what not judging by the mentioning she was known as a complainer. bad decision granted now its easy to say...

i could never work at a hospital esp in the ER, never..takes a certain person to do it..but to me they not only have to be life savers but hard at times with the people and following the "who's in line first" thought.

few things one should think about before you go to the ER..
if its a Friday or Saturday night prepare to wait long!
if its really that bad then take a ambulance, you'll get a first class ride in..
be nice and polite no matter how hard it seems, remember you'll get more bees with honey.
if the lady the dies maybe was not known as a complainer she might of been treated differently, no one can say for sure but if i am in pain then ill use every advantage i can to not end up like her.
best advice is go to the right hospital, private of course should be the best..of course pending on your health insurance..which in America you better have..

i dont know the story just does not surpise me after taking friends to public hospital in the past..sad someone died of course it should not of happened..

Jun 3, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 71
For all of the criticism it gets domestically, stories like these ones really make me appreciate the NHS. That's some disgraceful behaviour but its a fault that lies with so many people in so many areas and for so many reasons that the bcuk will be passed so quickly around it'll just stay in the air. Maybe the duty nurse will get scapegoated though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back