Wolfson DAC List?
Mar 13, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #31 of 37

Quote:
It's interesting that you guys would pick a DAC purely based on the chip... despite the fact that the analogue output stage and the implementation of the chip has more to do with the overall sound quality at the end of the day...

I own a DAC Magic (dual WM8740), and I'm now moving on to the Rega DAC (dual WM8742) (I have one on order). Would be interesting to see the difference in the sound.

I've made this upgrade and the difference is pretty substantial.  You'll be pretty happy once you hear the Rega!

It's not just the DAC chip but the implementation for sure.  The DacMagic has dual wm8740 chips, just like the Rega Saturn, but the saturn sounds so much better. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #32 of 37
I'm bumping this thread because I'm really liking the sound of DVD concert discs on my Cambridge 752BD player with the Wolfson DAC. In the R2R thread, I asked why there are so few DACs for headphone/desktop applications with the Wolfsons. It sure sounds better than the Sabres to me.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #34 of 37
The meier audio daccord runs 2 WOLFSON WM8741 D/A converter-chip in dual-mono mode - cant go past it!

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #35 of 37
How good WM8740 is in comparison to WM8975G or WM8975? These chips used in iPod Nao 1G and 2G and WM8740 is used in FIIO and some more players. Any player which is better than Nano 1G in terms of warmness and bass of the sound with 3D effect? 

May 12, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #36 of 37
I've just discovered the Wolfson WM8740 DAC built into my Cambridge CXN streamer below. Just purchased.
What a wonderful DAC and implementation on the CXN.

I have been using a R2R chipset for years. Yggy pictured below.
In this side be side test I found bugger all difference between them.
Yggy - A little more mid-range. Not a lot. A little more soundstage.
CXN - A little more energy, in a positive way. Holographical advantage.

I'm so impressed I'm selling my Yggy.
It is so close it is not worth wiring in the separate DAC.
Plus the Wolfson WM8740/CXN DAC has some convenience advantages over the Yggy.
It is also a pre-amp. So using something like Spotify/Tidal I can control volume via my phone. I'm lazy.
With Yggy you have to get up and manually adjust amps. I'm using a Woo WA22 (tubes). Waiting on a SPL Xe to be delivered soon (solid state).

IMG_3776.jpg

May 12, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #37 of 37
Bladelius USB uses WM8741

Users who are viewing this thread

Back