Woefully ignorant with $200-$300 to spare
Aug 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

t3hggnore

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

With the recent loss of my JBL reference 510's left driver, I'm faced with the task of leaving the mass consumer market and finding myself a good pair of replacement cans. With my JBL's (I believe actually repackaged AKG K28 NCs, similar in sound signature to the K26P?? Not sure), I was satisfied with the bass response, but annoyed with the recessed mids and highs. I found myself frequently turning up the volume to hear the vocals, only to put my music away because the bass was too excessive

I have searched this forum a bit, and thread crashing seemed inappropriate for all the results that I have found, so here's my scenario:

In the last half year, I've fallen in love with a number of prog/power/symphonic metal bands. My library is now predominantly rock/metal, with a dabble of pop, new age, and miscellaneous items. That being said, I wanted to find a pair of headphones that suit those needs. I'm also using my computer as a source, so I'm probably not thinking of getting a full blown rig, although the pair of headphones I buy should be able to benefit from an amp when I upgrade later. I'm currently a college student, so I would hope the new cans I buy are much more durable than this garbage I am dealing with. So build is moderately important.

Grados are the obvious choice, but I have tested a friend's pair of SR60s and I fear that a big upgrade into, perhaps, the SR225i or SR325i would leave much to be desired. I found the SR60s lacking in bass, with the trebles a bit on the bright side. I just don't want to pay a load of dough before realizing that the sound signature is not that much better than what I've been used to. The other option that I have looked at are Audio-technica's ATH-AD700/900. Again, don't know if they might sound a bit to bright in the trebles, or severely lacking in the bass.

I think I want to try open headphones for this upgrade - no need for portability. I'm definitely not a basshead, just hope the bass is present. I'd audition the AD900s and the SR325s, but the only Grado dealer I know in the region doesn't stock any because of a lack of popularity, and Guitar Centers in the area don't stock AD700s/900s. There goes my options of auditioning them....

Are there any head-fi members that have perhaps tried the aforementioned headphones (including the K26P?
tongue.gif
) who might be able to help me make a better decision? I figure I'm pretty safe upgrading to anything pro audio from what I already have, but without a reliable audition, I figure it doesn't hurt to get a 50th opinion.

Thanks so much!

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 13
If you can still get on the HF2 train, do it!

BTW, I have the K28NC also, I need a small plastic bit from the headband .. or the whole broken pair to repair mine and/or mod it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 13
Or stretching the $300 with a tenner or two you might pick up some RS-2 that fell of the HF-2 train.

If you ever find the Grado treble piercing, you can tune up the bass by partly taping the outside of the pads. I did that with bowls on SR-80's and it helped a great deal.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 13
I've heard SR225's and imo there was nothing to them that warranted a price of triple the SR60's. If you didn't dig the SR60 you probably aren't a Gradophile. Although hearing for yourself is all that matters, so if you can get a pair to try, by all means do it.

I would suggest a pair of Sennheiser HD600's. They scale well, so if you are thinking of a quality amp down the raod, they'll fit right in. Some serious Head-fiers with thousands of dollars in gear still keep their HD600's even though they own other, more expensive phones.

They are more neutral than Grado which means they aren't suited to any particular genre, but are a good all-purpose can. The highs are rich and vibrant and the bass is tight and well defined, if not exactly plentiful like a closed can. My HD580's (same drivers as the 600) walk all over my SR60's below 150hz or so.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the replies

Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest a pair of Sennheiser HD600's. They scale well, so if you are thinking of a quality amp down the raod, they'll fit right in. Some serious Head-fiers with thousands of dollars in gear still keep their HD600's even though they own other, more expensive phones.

They are more neutral than Grado which means they aren't suited to any particular genre, but are a good all-purpose can. The highs are rich and vibrant and the bass is tight and well defined, if not exactly plentiful like a closed can. My HD580's (same drivers as the 600) walk all over my SR60's below 150hz or so.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Sennheisers, and they were originally in my list of options, but I was also advised against them because of their laid back nature. Neutral headphones are a plus, and I certainly would like to try something that portrays my music for what it is before I start thinking about which colorations suit my style. GC does stock them (I think), so I could ask them to test one
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3hggnore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies

I have heard a lot of good things about the Sennheisers, and they were originally in my list of options, but I was also advised against them because of their laid back nature. Neutral headphones are a plus, and I certainly would like to try something that portrays my music for what it is before I start thinking about which colorations suit my style. GC does stock them (I think), so I could ask them to test one
biggrin.gif

Are you sure that the phones you heard described as "laid back" weren't HD650's? They have a very rolled-off top end and a somewhat pronounced mid-bass. The HD600's are significantly brighter sounding to the large majority of those who've heard both.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 13
Hum hum. Owned K26P, felt bass was a little overwhelming (and sloppy), but I was pleased with it as a whole (incl. price, size, isolation etc.). And I didn't like SR60. And MS-1 underwhelmed. Enter SR325i. Bass response fuller and punchier than the SR60, 80, and MS-1. Soundstage is typical of Grado: Small. Highs a little harsh at times, but mostly fine. Delicious for rock. Yum.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by eugenius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I have the K28NC also, I need a small plastic bit from the headband .. or the whole broken pair to repair mine and/or mod it.
smily_headphones1.gif

The JBL reference 510 has a different headband, not sure how it compares with the actual K28NCs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure that the phones you heard described as "laid back" weren't HD650's? They have a very rolled-off top end and a somewhat pronounced mid-bass. The HD600's are significantly brighter sounding to the large majority of those who've heard both.

Perhaps, I haven't really picked out the differences among all of Sennheiser's high-ends, so I guess it was a generalization on my part. Are the HD600's difficult to drive out of a laptop?

Also, has anyone listened to both the ATH-AD900 and the SR225/325? I'm really curious as to how the AD900s live up to rock/metal music

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Perhaps, I haven't really picked out the differences among all of Sennheiser's high-ends, so I guess it was a generalization on my part. Are the HD600's difficult to drive out of a laptop?

Got my HD580's in my laptop right now listening to some STP. I have the volume up as high as it'll go and it's fairly loud and doesn't sound strained or distorted at all. The bass is weaker compared to my regular rig but that's to be expected.

BTW...my laptop is built for media and entertainment so it very well may have a better audio chip/circuit that some others. In any case there are loads of inexpensive little amps that can give you an extra boost.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Grados are the obvious choice, but I have tested a friend's pair of SR60s and I fear that a big upgrade into, perhaps, the SR225i or SR325i would leave much to be desired. I found the SR60s lacking in bass, with the trebles a bit on the bright side. I just don't want to pay a load of dough before realizing that the sound signature is not that much better than what I've been used to. The other option that I have looked at are Audio-technica's ATH-AD700/900. Again, don't know if they might sound a bit to bright in the trebles, or severely lacking in the bass.
!

Well...everybody says the SR80s (and up) have more bass than the SR60, and a pair of flat pads is said to improve bass over bowls (plus the comfies he probably had probably didn't help). If you want to go the Grado route, you can do one of two things: get an SR80(i) or SR225(i) from the FS forum (to avoid $$$ retail) and see if you like the Grado sound, or (probably the better option) get an Alessandro MS-1. They aren't going to be bass monsters, but they're supposed to be more laid-back than mainstream Grados, and that'll probably fix the over-bright treble.

From limited audition of the Audio-Technica 'phones, I don't recall them having particularly bright treble, though I can see where someone would say the bass was lacking. Very comfy, very spacious, and not nearly as involving as the Grados.

Any of those options can run without an amp. Something like the HD580/HD600 would require a dedicated amp, which probably isn't in your budget at the moment.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

The JBL reference 510 has a different headband, not sure how it compares with the actual K28NCs...

It's the same, just cosmetically different over the head.
I need just the highglighted small plastic part.
smily_headphones1.gif

JBL_510_2-1.jpg

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 13
I would not recommend the Senn HD 600 primarily for rock. I owned the HD 580 for years and have a good amp and still didn't do it for me with Rock music (the senn snooze). If you can find HF-1 (only available used) or a used SR 225 around $150, would be a good place to start. A good amp would help either of these cans but is not necessary for good sound. Unamp senn 580/600 would most likely be too dark/slow for you. FWIW.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 13
I can totally recommend the Grado SR225i, they're my primary cans and they're amazing for all types of rock, and they really shine with trance/psychedelic/techno too! The bass is awesome to my ears, and the highs aren't a problem at all after burn-in.

Of course, if you are truly woefully ignorant, you can just drop that $2-300 into my bank account and I could spend it wisely for you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back