woah. Peter Gabrial had some really good albums.
Sep 25, 2003 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
I always liked some of his singles, but never sat down and listened to his albums.

Recently I've been buying his albums on used vinyl... I like. So far, I have Peter Gabriel -1 (the one with the Car on the cover), Peter Gabriel-3 (the Melt cover), Security, and So.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good stuff.

Sep 25, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
I always liked some of his singles, but never sat down and listened to his albums.

Recently I've been buying his albums on used vinyl... I like. So, far I have Peter Gabriel -1 (the one with the Car on the cover), Peter Gabriel-3 (the Melt cover), Security, and So.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good stuff.

Peter Gabriel has been a longtime favorite of mine, going back to his days with Genesis. You have already picked up almost all of the important titles, but make sure you get his latest, "Up", its brilliant. Not to mention its fabulous with headphones!

JC

Sep 25, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 25
Try Passion, very experimental, though a really good stuff....

Sep 25, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 25
Damn, Sovkiller beat me to the punch. ^_^ I wholeheartedly second the Passion recommendation. One of the first and best world music soundtracks.

Sep 25, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 25
Agreed. "3"/Melt/the one with "Game Without Frontiers" and Security are two of my favourites. So and Us are two of his more poppier stuff.

I actually prefered Long Walk Home (soundtrack to "Rabbit-Proof Fence") more than Passion, and I used to like Passion as much as you guys, so that's saying something!

Sep 25, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 25
Yup, he's great. I've been re-discovering him through the new SACD re-masters. I like Security best, the quintessential Gabriel album.

The new one, "Up" is also an awesome headphone experience, a great album despite "the Barry Williams Show" the single which doesn't belong with the rest of the cuts.

Mark

Sep 25, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 25
Another vote for Passion. Really great soundtrack.

Sep 25, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 25
The only Peter Gabriel I have is his greatest hits package, Shaking the Golden Tree. This is a superb compilation, one of the very best "greatest hits" packages I have ever heard. Highly reccommended for an introduction.

One slight hit against Gabriel-it is extremely annoying that he refused to put any titles on several albums, just calling them Peter Gabriel. That had to hurt sales to casual fans.

Sep 25, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 25
BTW, so I have all the Gabriel SACDs except for "Us" which I've often read is one of his weaker efforts. I find that Peter Gabriel 2 is the weakest of his other albums that I own. Can anyone here vouch for "Us", and champion it as one of his better efforts, or do you find it mediocre? is it a worth-while purchase, or maybe worse than "2"?

Mark

Sep 25, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 25
indeed, especially 3 and Passion are terrific. So is great too. I can't seem to get into Security tho, the second half seems a bit weak. great artist tho!

Sep 25, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 25
markl, I find US to be an acquired taste. at first it seems too pop, even for peter gabriel, but it grew on me as much of his older stuff grew on me. I was not a huge gabriel fan until the remasters came out and I really listened hard for a couple of weeks and then of course there's the new album which is such a great headphone album, how can one not like "the barry williams show" ???

Sep 26, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
BTW, so I have all the Gabriel SACDs except for "Us" which I've often read is one of his weaker efforts. I find that Peter Gabriel 2 is the weakest of his other albums that I own. Can anyone here vouch for "Us", and champion it as one of his better efforts, or do you find it mediocre? is it a worth-while purchase, or maybe worse than "2"?

Mark

I actually like Us quite a bit, and can't imagine anyone who likes So not liking it. It's got the Sledgehammer "sequels" like "Steam" and "Kiss the Frog", I think it yielded the very emotional "Come Talk To Me"..."Digging in the Dirt", "Secret World" -- a lot of these are now staples of his touring setlist. "Blood of Eden" is another excellent "deep cut".

Actually, it was the first of the SACD's I picked up. In fact, I think I'll put it on tonight.

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 25
Does anybody here listen to Paula Cole?

I understand that she sand backup and possibly did some duets with Peter Gabriel going back to the late 80's and early 90's.

I am guilty of having never really listened to Peter Gabriel but appreciate that he is a great artist.

I picked up on Paul Cole when she had a single from THIS FIRE in the UK charts about 5 years ago. I distinctly remember her mentioning in a interview somewhere of her associatin with Peter Gabriel.

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
it yielded the very emotional "Come Talk To Me"..."Digging in the Dirt", "Secret World" -- a lot of these are now staples of his touring setlist.

I like Digging in the Dirt. That's the only song I recognize off US. I'll have to give that LP a listen.

And...

I forgot Gabriel did the soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ. The Last Temptation of Christ is a great film. I have it on DVD, so I'll check it out again and pay attention to the soundtrack to decide if I want Passion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back