WMA to MP3 Please?
May 8, 2003 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spike0089

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a newbie question for you guys, sorry I don't have the time to look and research the answer but I am at work. I am going to be buying an ipod tomorrow and I obtained a large amount of music from my friend but they are all 192kbps wma files, I know ipods do not play these files so I was wonder if anyone could recommend an wma to mp3 encoder or anything, I wanted to keep the same 192 kbps quality.

Thanks for your help.

May 8, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 11
Try here. I used All To MP3 Converter when moving from a PC to Mac. Some restrictions on the demo (if I remember correctly, the number of files at one time), but I was able to use it for all my files. There are many options, but if you can't find what you're looking for, you can always try WMA to WAVE to MP3. Lames the big MP3 encoder if you got that separate state. Also you may want to poke around Hydrogen Audio for suggestions.

May 8, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 11
Converting from one lossy format (WMA) to another lossy format (MP3) is going to result in a serious loss of quality. Don't do it. Rip the MP3s yourself or re-download them.

- Chris

May 8, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Converting from one lossy format (WMA) to another lossy format (MP3) is going to result in a serious loss of quality. Don't do it. Rip the MP3s yourself or re-download them.

- Chris

Isn't "serious loss" a bit of an exaggeration? I mean, obviously it's not ideal (artifacts will be built on other artifacts), if the original is available reencoding is always better, and maybe everyones not aware of lossy compression problems. But actual sound loss isn't that bad, sometimes not even noticable, and many minidisc users do this all the time with mp3's to atrac. Don't know the situation of the original poster, nor where he/she gets their music, and certainly not encouraging lossy to lossy by any means, but don't want to indicate the resulting 192 abr mp3's are going to sound horrible from a 192 wma source. Maybe slightly worse. So is it worth the hassle to get everything again? Don't know the situation.

May 8, 2003 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Isn't "serious loss" a bit of an exaggeration?

Not really. Especially if he's ever going to share them again - sharing re-encoded MP3s makes baby Jesus cry and wish for death.

Re-encoding is at best a worst-case scenario. Avoid it at all costs.

- Chris

May 8, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 11
True, I was talking sound, forgot about baby Jesus.

What then is the worst worst-case scenario?

May 8, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 11
See, ya blew it. That's the perfect argument for lossy to lossy to lossy to lossy compression.

May 8, 2003 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
You're testing me, aren't you?

Fine. Here's your answer.

- Chris

AHHH MY EARS!! THE HD580's DO NOTHING!!!

May 8, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Spike0089
Redownload them?

Kind of hard, Its 64 GB of WMA files.

don't buy an ipod, buy a different mp3 player that plays wma files.

p.s. that video rules and anybody who recompresses audio from lossy compression to lossy compression is an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back