WMA Lossless is truly 100% Lossless
Nov 14, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkozlows
And storing the files on a FAT filesystem leads to bloated bass, which is why I make sure to keep all my files on an NTFS filesystem.

I also prefer SATA drives to IDE -- the music is a lot faster and transients are more responsive with SATA.

Whatever you do, though, don't use DDR (Double Data Rate) memory on your computer: It leads to a weird echoing resonance in the sound.

I've noticed better mids and more lively bass when i wear 100% cotton sweaters, i think the rf energy around my computer gets filtered through my sweater first resulting in the improved sonic quality .

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #17 of 41
Jesus guys, only one person? Talk about no sense of humor.

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 41
tola: no, it isn't, because lossy format specs mean decoders can have different 'interpretations' of how to decode and still be technically within spec. Lossless format specs don't. If you decode a lossless file correctly you _will_ get the exact same audio as you started with. If you don't, your decoder is broken (doesn't meet spec). Practically speaking, I've never heard of anyone releasing a broken lossless decoder, either as computer software or DAP firmware.

Nov 14, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
agreed, if you're using the same audio player, how can 2 truly lossless files be different? It's technically impossible.

It's technically possible since the 2 files inhabit different locations on the harddrive, and there's always room for some strange anomaly at the magnetic level. The probability is incredibly small though.

Nov 14, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #21 of 41
All joking aside the use of DDR memory shouldnt impact the SQ as much as highly charged underware particles. The particles impact the mids and gives treamendous treble roll off. People should look into the new headroom underware spray de-skidmarker. It has shown on A/B tests to eliminate the downside to highly charged underware particles.

Nov 15, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
It's technically possible since the 2 files inhabit different locations on the harddrive, and there's always room for some strange anomaly at the magnetic level. The probability is incredibly small though.

Magnetic anomalys? Come on now, and my CD sounds different than yours because my pits are circular...

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
agreed, if you're using the same audio player, how can 2 truly lossless files be different? It's technically impossible.

I think it is possible. The decoder for the two loseless formats are different and that explains a different sound.

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #24 of 41
The decoder decodes the lossless format into WAV (or PCM, or whatever the format the media player actually uses is).

The lossless files are not identical. What the lossless files are decoded into are identical. Unless there is something wrong with the computer or it is 20 years old and takes 5 minutes to decode a lossless file, what is played by the media player is gonna be the same thing.

Nov 15, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #26 of 41
I don't think you'd get an 'anomaly' on a disk which produced anything other than a read error. In other words you'd get a trashed file, not something that worked but sounded different.

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #27 of 41
It is possible to have non-noticeable errors.

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #29 of 41
The terminology "lossless" can only mean you get back the original data after it's been encoded then decoded.

Examples of lossless compression are ZIP, RAR etc. When was the last time you compressed a file (or a number of files) and got something different when you decompressed/decoded it?

The only time you potentially may get a difference in output, is that the compression was so resource intensive that your PC couldn't cope with decompressing the data in real-time. I'd be very surprised that this was the case since the data rates of audio are extreamly low.

Oh, unless the guy is running one of those early Pentiums with the Floating Point errors
icon10.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by springtide

Examples of lossless compression are ZIP, RAR etc. When was the last time you compressed a file (or a number of files) and got something different when you decompressed/decoded it?

Actually that could be very funny
smily_headphones1.gif
(or not
evil_smiley.gif
) I recently compressed pictures send them to my email at work and after decompressed them I noticed that everybody on the pics were much slimmer... blah
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back