Without an amp, which is best
Nov 30, 2002 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cosmo

Head-Fier
I noticed that the price of headphone amps are pretty high...and I was wondering which of the following would be best without a a seperate amp, and used with a laptop:

Grado 125
Grado 225
Beyerdynamic DT 831
Beyerdynamic DT 250-80
Sennheiser 580
AKG 501

I'm looking for sound good for all types of music...I posted a thread before this at here http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=20525

Nov 30, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 14
The DT 250-80s are considered quite good and definitely useable without an amp. On the other hand, the HD 580s are most often paired with an amp, as many think that they're not close to how they should/can sound without one. But to be fair, a number of people think they sound good enough (i.e, enjoyable) without an amp, specifically from a laptop. If you don't need a lot of volume, it may be ok. I haven't heard either of these headphones, but this is my impression of the general consensus.

piece,
rp:AUM

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 14
Probably not the DT831.

The DT250-80 would be my pick, or if you don't need isolation perhaps the DT531.

If you're happy to spend a little more, maybe some Etys?
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 14
Grado 225 = These need an amp to sound their best, and they sound really awesome with a great amp.

Beyerdynamic DT 831 = Hard to drive, so you will need a powerful amp for them, but they sounded a bit bright for my taste.

Beyerdynamic DT 250-80 = Never heard them.

Sennheiser 580 = They need an amp and a great one at that.

Nov 30, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 14
Try reading thru the headphones listed here at HeadRoom's web site and see which they reco for use without an amp:

Head Room

This will help reduce your list by a few sets of cans. You may also consider a completely different set of cans to meet your requirements. Grado 60s are pretty good without the amp.

Dec 1, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 14
Probably a little late to ask this, but did you have a bidget in mind for this purchase?? That also might help with eliminating a can or two!!

Dec 1, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 14
V6. Then you can afford one of those JMT or Fixup amps to go with it. They fold too so you can pack them away with your laptop.
If portability doesnt bother you and youre determined not to buy an amp then I can highly recommend a Audio-Technica ATH-A900 which costs almost the same, even through the slightly inflated prices of AudioCubes, as many of the phones you've mentioned and unamped will probably blow all of them out of the water.

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 14
I like the 590 pretty well and I've never heard it amped. For me it'll either be that or the ATH-A1000... My wallet is like hot uranium in my pocket!
eek.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
My wallet is like hot uranium in my pocket!
eek.gif

Not you too DarkWolf!!!!!!! Say it ain't so!!! PLEASE!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #12 of 14
It's so. Even my sensible side is looking for a way to spend money. If the A1000 is really great, better for me than the 590, even with equinox cable, than the price is about the same. If I just got a 590 and HA-1 combo from Jan I'd certanly save some money, but if I think about it in time, I'd be saving about a day's work. Maybe less. I'd work a day for free for better sound. I'll just have to wait for more reviews and beat some direct compairisons out of people.. And pray the A1000s don't sell out, or I'll really want a pair!
wink.gif

Anyway, I still support the 590 quite highly as a high quality phone for use without an amp that will offer an exelent upgrade path for those with hot uranium wallets, er, i mean, those who want to get more from their investment later.

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 14
I can't blame you for looking slightly over your budget to buy a good set of cans - far too often we set a budget which is just a little less than something else much better, and we end up losing money each time we buy, sell and upgrade, buy, sell, and upgrade. It's much cheaper to cut out all that money wasted buying and selling and just go for the unit for a little more money. I think you will like the AT A1000s a bit more than the Senn 590s, but that is just IMHO!!! We'll see once you get them and try them out.

Dec 1, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 14
Thats an impressive list if choices, but for portable use I would go with the sr-225. It works very well out of a portable; I used them with a cheap panasonic for years. Add an amp later and they become especially good sounding. The 225s are more refined, and worth the money over the 125 to me, but listen to both, you may disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back