With your help and $1k I built my frst rig.
Jan 31, 2010 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sinner6

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Gang (apologies in advance for what turned out to be quite a self-indulgent post),

A month or so ago I truly quit smoking, and decided to take the money I used to spend on cigarettes and set up a nice little headphone based "listening station".

I decided that what I was going for would be a fun, warm, and musical sound. My other listening equipment includes an EMU 1616 (DAC - CS4392), which has a reasonably good (+0.0/-0.07 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 112 dB SNR, 100mW @ 24ohm) output. This was feeding a set of M-Audio and Blue Sky studio monitors and a studio sub, and, of course, a pair of MDR-7506's. This being a music production and mixing rig. It is a flat and analytical as it can be. So, I am accustomed to hearing the limitations of a source or problems within a mix or recording, but this setup is a bit like listening to music through a "magnifying glass" and sacrifices a natural tone for extreme detail.

Enter head-fi. After reading for dozens of hours, I began to wrap my head around the multitude of options and possibilities available. Do I want portable, desktop, in-ear, closed, open, balanced, electrostatic, dynamic or armature? As I pondered these and other more subtle questions involving budgets and wives, I found out something about this hobby that is doubtless old news, but still surprised me because of the strong reactions involved. Namely, Other People Do Not Understand. The vast majority thinks it's insane to spend more than $20 on headphones...but, I digress.

Safe, here at head-fi, where people make sense, I learned many things, pored over charts and graphs whilst considering the signal chain as a whole...

Then, in a stellar alignment Everything I was looking it went on SALE. The wallet, freed from it's confines within a head-fi proof bunker, succumbed to acute Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

The system ended up like so:

Source
1. Zune HD(WMA Lossless) 32G for $259 + Dock(toslink out) for $39.99 and a Sony DVD player for CD transport (coax S/Pdif)= $350 total

AMP/DAC
2. Suddenly, Pacific Valve blew out their remaining Audio GD Compasses' for $299 shipped.

Headphones
3. Right at this time, Amazon was selling the Denon AH-D2000 for $200.00

Total $850ish

So, the Compass is hooked to my Computer via USB, the Sony CD player via Co-ax digital, and the Zune Dock via Toslink.

I am very pleased with the setup and owe this forum a big thanks (where the heck else would one hear of things such as "Audio-gd"?). The enthusiasm here is complimented by some very knowledgeable folks, a civil discussion and a unique relationship with many builders (witness the creation of the Compass on these very boards). Thank You, head-fi for proving that OCD can be constructive after all!!!!

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 10
This was an awesome, hilarious read. It's nice know joy can be found in this ridiculous, maddening hobby!

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Didn't really see anything hilarious in that post?

But congrats on the rig, you could've done a lot worse. Gonna use the D2000 for portable as well?

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 10
Congrats on quitting smoking (I never smoked so I don't know what it's like) and using that $$$ you used to throw away on cigs to buy a nice set up that will provide much more joy than cigs ever will, and won't kill you in the process!
k701smile.gif

I almost went with some Denon 2000's myself but decided on the Grado 225i's instead. I'd like to compare them someday...

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 10
'hilarious', punkaroo ? Man, the nightly news must really have you in stitches then ...

Congrats to the OP - now its time he takes some more advice : leave this forum to the obsessives and never, ever return. Spend all future earnings on cheap liquor and expensive women, or whichever combination of the two makes you happiest.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gonna use the D2000 for portable as well?

Hi,

I decided to use a a set of Denon C700's for portable use, they pair very nicely with the Zune HD's neutral sound and are easy to drive.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 10
I too quit smoking about a month back, and rewarded myself with a new toy (woo6). I reckon I was spending about £40 a month on cigarettes. I probably could have an electro-stat rig by now, had I quit a few years back. If you are going to be addicted to something, then head-fi is a far healthier option.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm in the process of quitting(I never knew it was spelled with two "t"'s...) and I am down to one single cig a week. Being broke helps and not buying them or staying home and not going out is a BIG help. One of the best things is that being asthmatic(funny right?) made smoking very detrimental towards my breathing and now I'm back to a more controlled one inhale a day vs the 8 or so times when it was at its worst. I do miss the way it made me feel chill and lax though.

Anyway, congrats on the new rig dude. I hope I can upgrade to something at least decent soon. Savin up that dough for my first amp/dac

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I pondered these and other more subtle questions involving budgets and wives...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You, head-fi for proving that OCD can be constructive after all!!!!

Hilarious was too strong a word, but those lines gave me a chuckle.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Well done. Congrats on the equipment and the quit smoking resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back