With "these" attributes, how does Grado have a fanbase ?
Jul 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sooner the better, man. $400 gets you in the door.

My next purchase is an LD MKII, and some ATH-AD900's. Until then, nothing else is getting bought besides day to day stuff. And the velour pads for my current cans.
biggrin.gif

Got 2 pairs on the way, 1 f or now 1 for spare... whenever they come.

Then when I'm bored I'll go and pick up a seperate rig for listening while reading. I've got a glass table I can set them on (seems ideal to me for something like this) so I'm almost there. Got about 800$ to spend already, then after I get that figured out... I want to get some HD650's. O.o

I also wanna do DIY stuff. I guess I'm already a head-fier in heart and spirit. Soon I'll have spent the money to really prove it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #77 of 89
I find myself agreeing with the OP somewhat, despite the unfortunate title. It seems like the only thing that changes as you go up the Grado line from the SR60 is the driver and immediate enclosure--you keep almost the same seventies fake-leather-looking headband, same clunkish steel rod/plastic black tip adjustment that lets the pads constantly not be in the right direction when it's time to put them on and lets the left/right cords get twisty, same odd and fairly abrasive pad material, same odd triangle where the two cords stick together and it looks like the poor wires are getting pinched in there (even though they aren't.)

I think huge Grado fans (like me) fall in love with the sound and the sound alone. Every other pair of headphones I've paid more than $50 for had a more comfortable headband (with actual padding) and less annoying earpad material. But nobody can match the sound for us, and the sound is the whole reason for the headphones, so we put up with it.

I wish Grado would update their non-driver components.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My next purchase is an LD MKII, and some ATH-AD900's. Until then, nothing else is getting bought besides day to day stuff. And the velour pads for my current cans.
biggrin.gif

Got 2 pairs on the way, 1 f or now 1 for spare... whenever they come.

Then when I'm bored I'll go and pick up a seperate rig for listening while reading. I've got a glass table I can set them on (seems ideal to me for something like this) so I'm almost there. Got about 800$ to spend already, then after I get that figured out... I want to get some HD650's. O.o

I also wanna do DIY stuff. I guess I'm already a head-fier in heart and spirit. Soon I'll have spent the money to really prove it.
biggrin.gif

Hi Aynjell
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Aynjell
biggrin.gif

You from Ocforums? o.O

I went back and re-read the thread so I could offer some of my thoughts on it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to have more than 46 posts to trash a major manufacturer, and even then it wouldn't be cool. To voice a concern over what you believe is a design flaw, an oversite or something that is not to your taste is one thing, but to ridicule a company because they don't meet your inexperienced and uninformed expectations is unacceptable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree with beagle and fatcat here. I can understand a hate thread if you've had a bad purchasing experience with a company and want to let people know. It is an important role of this site. However if you're starting a thread to bash a company and the most experience you have with them is a store demo than you should really think before hitting that post button.

The majority of his complaints were in regards to the comfort factor of heapdhones. This is 90% of the experience you'll have with headphones. If they hurt to wear them then they aren't worth the drivers they're holding on your head. Sound first, comfort second, but never at the expense of one another.

That being said, store example items aren't always the best in quality or maintenance. More times than not you're dealing with a burned in but also very BROKEN in headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt think the OP was "ridiculing" Grado just by stating that it wasn't to his taste in sound or comfort. If those few mild comments are ridiculing and "unacceptable", I suggest we shut this forum down immediately as there's no point going on.

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you've got a nice little troll title to this thread, and I'm seriously questioning your motivation. We'll see how it goes, but this thread is one more idiotic post away from being closed.

I've owned SR60s, MS1s, and now own 225s and HF2s. I find them comfortable, especially when enjoying the sound as much as I do.

Maybe I'll have to get used to it, but even the moderators here moderate based on personal opinion? The only people I see so far being rude ar the ones trying to silence the OP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of the "issues" you cite are your own opinion and in the end are completely subjective.

Personally I think the opposite about most of them. Also you can transform your Grado experience with a little bit of customization in terms of pad selection/modification and headband pressure.

I see no need for the flamebait thread title. Perhaps make a thread asking how to deal with these problems with simple mods or pad swapping.

Everything about Grado (as a company) I've read is a complete turn off, but hey, I also really hate Sony as a company too: which brings me back to a philosophy of this board I agree with, sound first. I WILL try Grado's cans at some point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's hoping you get banned. Boomana has way more experience than you do with headphones, so show some respect. And this kind of comment directed at her just shows what a dirtbag you are. I'd be happy to see this useless thread closed.

You're contributing to it already! Since Boomana himself said it's about one stupid post from getting deleted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Remember, being a member of a forum dedicated to a specific subject isn't requisite to knowing about that subject.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #80 of 89
I have always found my Grados a little uncomfortable. It only bothers me after about 2 - 2.5 hours of listening. I don't like listening to headphones for longer than that anyway, so it's not a problem. The discomfort is usually I reminder to give my ears a break.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #81 of 89
It seems to me ,it all depends on two things.
A/ The shape of your head.They are either comfy or not,i must be lucky.
B/ Where you want to be in the auditorium.IE;
Grado- On stage next to the sax player.
HD595- First three rows
HD650- Middle of the stalls
Ultrasones- In the car park..
Just my findings,i'll get me coat now.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #82 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyltre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find myself agreeing with the OP somewhat, despite the unfortunate title. It seems like the only thing that changes as you go up the Grado line from the SR60 is the driver and immediate enclosure--you keep almost the same seventies fake-leather-looking headband, same clunkish steel rod/plastic black tip adjustment that lets the pads constantly not be in the right direction when it's time to put them on and lets the left/right cords get twisty, same odd and fairly abrasive pad material, same odd triangle where the two cords stick together and it looks like the poor wires are getting pinched in there (even though they aren't.)

Aaah, all those happy memories.
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually find all those quirks to be ok, even positive in some twisted way.

If you find the headband to be uncomfortable, check out JMoney Audio's lambskin headbands, they're really a step up from the plastic ones, in both looks and comfort.
SR325is and above have leather headbands stock.

And, Boo's no man.
wink_face.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #83 of 89
Grados all the way!

I could go on about how so many Sennheiser (full-size) phones I've heard in the past couple of years (nothing over $250 USD) have sounded boomy, dull, slow, lifeless, no fun --- but I won't.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #84 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados all the way!

I could go on about how so many Sennheiser (full-size) phones I've heard in the past couple of years (nothing over $250 USD) have sounded boomy, dull, slow, lifeless, no fun --- but I won't.

The only sennheisers I own put a bad taste in my mouth in terms of sound quality and immersion but great sound stage.

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #85 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjarrett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you read the post? Did you read the title? It was all subjective and opinion, thus the "THESE" in the title. The very end of his post asked how the Grado owners got over the problems he had. No need to get your panties in a bunch when someone posts their opinion when they tested a set of phones.

As for the people begging for a I hate Grado forum, just stop being so obsessive about making the headphones you own look divine. They aren't. They are simply a good company that makes quality products that a small portion of people (in hifi) don't like. The majority of people really like them. If you are really this angry, its easy to simply not read the thread.

If you are really this ignorant and antagonizing, it's easy to simply not post in the thread.

Unless perhaps you have any opinions on headphones?

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #87 of 89
I doubt that I am only one who has noticed that a lot of newbies seem to be joining head-fi lately and doing very little other than stirring up trouble. We just recently went through a very similar thread with identical drama until the OP was eventually banned. I don't say this to make newbies feel unwelcome. We were all newbies at some point and most people who join the forum are able to contribute and find an inviting community of enthisiasts. But there others who come here for nothing more than verbal combat and confrontation, and seem to engage in it for its own sake. Those folks know who they are.

This sort of stuff is wearing very, very thin. And telling people if they don't like the threads then don't post in them doesn't cut it. The place is being overrun with this junk, posted by people who haven't yet learned to respect the forum. There is a risk of it driving long-standing and contributing members away.

--Jerome

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #88 of 89
Is it ok for me to ask boomana to kill this thread ? I never intended it to develop into what it has become. As a mark of respect to the forum, id appreciate it if this could be carried out please.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #89 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermonuclear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it ok for me to ask boomana to kill this thread ? I never intended it to develop into what it has become. As a mark of respect to the forum, id appreciate it if this could be carried out please.

Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back