With modern built-in DACs, is an external DAC necessary anymore?
Apr 2, 2017 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fuzzybabybunny

Head-Fier
I'm deciding whether or not to get a DragonFly Red to be used predominantly on my Samsung S5, with the intention of upgrading to something like a Google Pixel 2 in the near future.

- I have the Westone W60s, which are an excellent pair of high end IEMs.
- Most of my source material is just going to be high quality streams from Amazon Prime. It's free for me and I don't want to have the ongoing cost of Tidal.
- Music will be played through the Amazon Prime app.

Now, the DragonFly is $200. I've heard that modern DACs are all pretty good, including the ones built into your device. The sound coming from my S5 is definitely worse than from my laptop, but if I, say, get a more modern phone like a Google Pixel 2 as my next phone, will I even need to use something like the DragonFly? Even if I hook up the DragonFly to my S5 and hear a difference, what are the chances of me hooking it up to a cutting edge Pixel 2 and hearing no difference?

Basically, am I going to be wasting my money by purchasing an external DAC if modern DACs are all pretty good already?

If you've noticed a big difference with your external DAC, which DAC are you using, which headphones do you have, what's your device, and what kinds of sound files are you playing?

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 4
If your planning on upgrading to a Google Pixel 2 or something like that.
Maybe you should upgrade your phone first, before looking into buying an add-on DAC/amp

Is there a chance the Google Pixel 2 offers better audio quality, then your current Samsung S5, sure,
But as doubt anyone on Head-fi has listened to the audio of the Google Pixel 2, difficult to say how much better it might sound.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 4
I think if you buy any new flagship phone now, you cant get a better quality sound like from an external DAC/amp. Dragonfly red sounds great but if you looking for something cheaper some one posted a link to a Kickstarter project Space Key that is affordable especialy now on Kickstarter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back